1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden 210 Cabinet Distorting too early?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baiken, Jul 28, 2012.

1. baiken

baiken

Jul 28, 2012
    I bought this Eden E320 210 combo used and I think it sounds great at reasonable volumes, but as soon as I needed to turn the gain even approaching 12oclock (half max) with the master all the way up, the speakers start distorting embarrassingly badly. To play it at the point at which a note on the 8th or 9th fret of the E string won't distort keeps me at a volume too low to even be heard over the stage sound even when I'm standing right in front of it.
    I realize 2x10 cabs aren't designed to be monster loud, but I guess I'm just confused by why a quality company like Eden would make a combo that matched a head with speakers that can't even take half of what the amp can push. I don't think the speakers are damaged because they sound good at reasonable volumes.
    I added a 15" cab utilizing the external speaker out and it definitely helps, but I still can't ever approach half of the amp power because the 12s distortion will still be audible and it'll sound like I'm using a distortion pedal or something. Disappointing, but is all this normal and to be expected?

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Reality is if you send a bass boosted signal the amp may not get to 1/4 master volume with gain on half... depends on the head (and cab(s)).

I always set the gain as high as I can while clean, then use the master as a volume control... AFAIK depending on the head the controls may be unrepresentative of the actual wattage.... if amp A rated at 300 W puts out 180W at half volume & half gain for a given input... and amp B rated at 300 W also, puts out 100W at half volume and gain it wouldn't surprise me. Also the speakers will have odd behaviour towards their limits. Keep an ear out!

3. shtik

shtik

Jun 8, 2011
    I use the 115 version of this amp, and I have sufficient power for most situations. I have also tried the 210 version and haven't encountered cab distortion throughout the usable power range.

When you adjust the gain, do you see the clip/comp LED turn on all the time or only when you play hard? If it is on most of the time, then the distortion is happening at the preamp.

Another thing I will check out is the enhance/pull to defeat comp knob. When its in its normal state (pushed in/compression on), it just sounds horrible. The compressor kicks in at a relatively low gain and just kills the sound. Make sure that this knob is always pulled out. Also make sure that you don't clip the preamp all the time. If you see the clip LED light occasionally on peaks it's normal.

keep in mind that this combo is not comparable in quality to their more expansive ranges such as WT or Traveler. It is just what it is - A reasonably priced combo with good value for money. And as such, it's doing a great job. Some things in this combo's design are useless - the distortion knob and the built in compressor are just horrible. Keep he distortion knob down and the enhance knob pulled out (I keep it all the way down as well) and you'll be fine.

Let me know how it turned out.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just because a combo is built with spkrs and an amp together, does NOT mean the spkrs can take everything the amp can throw at it. especially with boosted lows. And, volume position has no bearing on how much power is sent to the spkrs. many amps run FULL power with dials at noon. And, MORE spkrs are always the best way to get louder.

5. baiken

baiken

Jul 28, 2012
    I will try this on my gig tonight and report back. Thanks for the tip!!!

6. baiken

baiken

Jul 28, 2012
    That helped, thanks. The 2 10s are distorting a little less, still there though. The good news is I made a recording of the gig off of the soundboard and the bass tone from the eden head's direct out as heard through the sound board on the recording is JUST the tone I want, perfectly deep and warm with just a little growl. So if I can assume that that's the bass tone the audience heard for the most part than it could be said that the eden is doing awesome, farting speakers aside.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You will kill those 210's though, if you keep pushing them that hard.

8. shtik

shtik

Jun 8, 2011
    One of the reasons I went with the 115 was because it handled the power better.

Most of the times I use the maximum available clean power (master all the way up, blue clip LED flashing regularly but not on all the time) with no audible cab distortion.

Works well for most small and medium clubs I've played, a little too weak for big outdoor stages (if you don't stay within 4 feet from the amp).

I use the D.I output whenever I bring in the amp and it sounds great.

I found it impossible to find a better option at this price point. I was also blown away by the build quality for a Chinese made amp.

It is kind of a compromise amp (power/weight/price) but the best compromise amp I could find...