Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden 210 'quiet notes'

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Growler, May 29, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So I"ve been playing with my eden210 lately (Fender P-MiM) and noticed an odd feature. Some of the notes that I play are considerably quieter than others.

Using the same amount of "fingering force", For example, any note on the Estring is VERY loud compared to notes on the D string. While A and G strings are somewhere in the middle. In particular D is at its quietest around the 7-10th fret. I tend to play alot of blues lines (Albert King) so I'm always in this 'neck of the woods'. The amp settings are pretty much flat, as I'm still having a bit of troubling trying to figure out what all the knobs are for (other than the basic 3 knob eq).

Growler.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its not the amp, its not the speaker, its your bass.

String to string balance apparently needs adjusted, and at least some of what you are describing sounds like Fender's notorious "dead-spots" on the neck.

3. +1. :meh:

4. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    How can I remove these 'dead spots'?

Can I tweak/adjust or is it a 'replace xyz part'?

Thanks

-Growler

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dead spots are a function of the resonant frequency of the wood in the neck when presented with the frequency of certain notes being played, they partially cancel each other out.

There is a device called a "fat finger" which attaches to your headstock by the tuners which claims to SHIFT your resonance frequency to another area of the neck that will hopefully be used less and therefore less noticeable, but it won't eliminate it.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A no-cost 'fix" may be to adjust the pickups to even out string to string balance - easily done on a P with a screwdriver, angle the D-G half so the end under the D string is higher up, and adjust the A-E half accordingly (probably lower the pickup under E string in your case). If you need more spring under one or both pickup halves, mousepad foam works well.