Eden 210XLT, SWR Goliath 3Jr, or Aguilar GS210? Your opinions please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, May 31, 2004.

1. I currently have an Eden WT400 and an SWR Goliath 3 Jr, and will have a new Stingray next week. I definitely need more volume (larger gigs coming up) and have decided to add another cab. I really don't know what to get though, so I would like your opinions.

I think I want another 2x10 cab due to portability and $$. Any combination of cabs will do 700 watts, which should be enough, even if I upgrade my Amp to something more powerful later on. But, do I get another SWR, or an Eden or Aguilar? Haven't had the chance to try an Aguilar yet, but will do so in the next week. Opinions?

PS. the other thought I had was to get a Hartke 4.5XL because it cost less than any of the 2x10's, but I'm not so sure about if it's worth it.
  2. FWIW I think you're better off getting a quality 2x10 over a cheap 4x10.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another option would be an Eden D210XST and if you do, put the cab with the lower efficiency (I'm guessing, the XST) on the bottom of the stack. If they are the same efficiency, stack order would depend on the room acoustics (boomy room = GIII Jr. on bottom of stack).

Other than that, I would prefer the Ag over the SWR or XLT.

If you have a chance to audition your amp and cab with a GS210 or GIII Jr., you should do it.

If not, if you can find a 2nd hand GS210 for a decent amount of money, try that. If you're not happy with the GIII Jr/GS210 combination, you can resell the GS210 and go for a 2nd GIII Jr.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

why not another 1x15? would make for a fuller, bigger sound, no?

if you were to get another 2x10, i'd stick with similar cabs. never know what funky sonic business you might not appreciate with differing cabs.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Of the brands you have listed, I agree that an Eden D-210XST would be my first choice. However, I prefer 2x10's from EA, Epifani, and Bergantino to any of those mentioned. The new Accugroove Tri 210L is also excellent, I am sure. An older Mesa Boogie Diesel or RR 2x10 might be another good choice, as might a new cab from a smaller, custom cab builder like Low Down Sound or Dr.Bass.

6. As much as I would love to take a look at EA, Epiphani, Bergantino, etc, they aren't available here in Australia. In fact, until about 2 months ago, I had not even seen an Aguilar cab before. Eden and SWR are generally about as 'top-of-the-line' as we can get here in Aus unless you special order. But that means big $$ and no chance of trying before you buy.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'd go for another SWR. In fact, I did! :)

Stack nicely and I think SWR sounds as good as any of the "old" boutique cabs. The horns stink in all of the cabs mentioned.

Also, it's lighter than the rest by a good bit.