Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

?Eden 212/215XST?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Let me first say that this is not thread anouncing new Eden speaker cabs. Its actually a thread asking why they dont develop something new.

First off, I have always been a fan of 15's and thought they were superior to 10's untill I came across Eden. Nothing gave me the low end the way I liked it besides 15's, and I never had any problems with their sound. When I first played Eden cabs however, my mind changed. I decided that Eden speakers gave me low end that felt right to me.

Then the developed the 210/410XST cabs, and it was a completely different story. Now, they go lower than before, and still sound killer.

They did something different with the XST line that they didnt do with the XLT line. I dont know much about speaker design, but something like magnet structure, voice coils, cone materials ect, must have made the speaker more responsive to the lower frequencies.

My question is, why dont they do the same thing they did with the 10's to their 12's, 15's, or 18's?

It would make sense with all these extended range basses with tunnings below the low B and frequency ranges below the 30Hz range that is basically the extreeme on most of the lowest cabs.

I understand that it could be for financial reasons and that at the moment, the demand for larger diameter speakers isnt very high, but Im wondering if there is more to it than this. Especially with all the buzz about 12's.

Peace
    Nick

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You know, that's a damn good question!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Anyone interested in taking whack at it?

Atention Gard!

If you see this thread, do you think you could get this question to some of the representatives at Eden to see what they have to say? They are the experts after all!

Peace
    Nick

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, no matter how you cook them, 15's and 18's will never respond as quickly as 10's. This means less punch. Also, the 10's can produce a broader range of overtones that just make them sound better than those tone-sucking muff monsters.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some how I knew exactly what your post said as soon as I saw your name there.

Well anyways, I understand that they wont respond as quickly as 10's, and therefore have less punch, but some people like rumble, better than punch. I like a nice combination between the two, and thats why Im asking.

Also, I realize that the 10's do produce more in the high frequency range, and do have a different sound. If they didnt, then what would be the point of getting one rather than the other? Some people actually like the different sound that they get from the limited response, large diameter speakers.

Some people like the classic sound of a P bass, while others like the modern sound of a graphite neck, exotic wood, active pickup, 7 string bass.

Its the same thing; personal taste.

I think a nice blend between the two is a killer idea. I would love to own a rig consisting of 2-210XST cabs placed on top of a 215XLT.

It would be nicer however if I could have a 2-15 cab that covered the low end a little better than this one does. For the low end response this one gives, Imight as well just use 210XST cabs the whole way through. Thats why Im asking the question.

Besides, Im sure many of our sub 30Hz range bassist out there are interested in finding a cab that would reproduce the fundamental of their lower notes even though so far most are content with 2nd order harmonics.

Peace
    Nick

6. Y'know, Munji, you could easily be replaced with a script that alternates between "I bought this cheaper at Guitar Center last year," "15s suck," and "Eden rocks."

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Peter, your avatar has lost it's smugness... :(

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    What about a BagEnd ELF system?

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'd like to hear one of these in action; given the method this system uses (essentially massive amounts of EQ) it seems to me that headroom would be limited to the point that maximum volume is pretty low, unless you get into the higher end models of that line......the BASSAULT-R has 4-21" drivers!!!

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Think that's enough Nick?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I suppose it could be.

I was really asking more specifically about Eden though. I was just curious if they could XSTify their 12,15,and 18" speakers.

Oh and Munji's auto response should be more accurate by saying "tone sucking muff monsters", about anything larger than 10"s and "not the Eden" since he has recently begun to sarcastically reply to post asking which amp or cab to buy since he realizes that we all know what he's gonna say.

Peace
    Nick

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Peter, you are SO sarcastic.

Anyway, here's 15's: Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph.

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    And here's Munji's posts: Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph Bmmph.

:D

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ok, lets leave the topic of what Munji says behind.

Now what do you say about why they havent developed an XST version of the 12-18" speakers!

Peace
    Nick

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i just shot an email to david nordschow of eden, so i'll let you know what he says. i've always liked to hear the info from the horse's mouth, as it were, than just sit around the camp fire and speculate. after the read my email they'll know that at least people are interested in an extended XST line...more to follow!

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    There's really not much difference between the XST's and XLT's. Just different drivers, different porting, different tuning ... whatever.

As muffy as those 12's, 15's and 18's sound, I doubt that the XST versions would be any better.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    because they are already perfect? no wait even munji didn't like SOME eden stuff...
    why is everybody ganging up on the bearded one all of a sudden? anyhoo, it is quite humorous.

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hmmm...let's see....different drivers, different porting, different tuning, different cabinets......not much difference at all?!?!?.....

Oh! OK! Now we know what makes a speaker cabinet.....it must be the WIRING that's important!

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Oh man, I don't care what brand or size my amp is, but when I put rare unobtanium wiring in, the sound becomes completely "transparent" and "tubey" and "warm" and "punchy".

You should really try it ;)

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Exactly my point.

What makes an XLT different from an XST?

Why dont they do those changes and then apply the right cabinet designs to make a flatter , lower frequency response 12", 15", or 18" cab.

Peace
    Nick