Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDEN 212 XLT review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just bought a used mint condition EDEN 212 XLT Bass cabinet. I had an excellent deal on it and want to share my opinion with you about it.

I read many bad comments about them on TalkBass and others but I totally disagree.

The Cabinet delivers a punchy sound with lots of mids and bottom, a perfect halfway between 15`s and 2X10`s cabinets ! It has a great sonic presence and cuts through very well in a live situation. The horn is of excellent quality and is easily tweekable.

I am now an EDEN fan !

:) :) :)

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've never tried and Eden 212 but I have an EBS 212 I love. I am now a converted 12" user for life. Perfect balance of everything, assuming they are placed in a properly designed cabinet.

3. I had two of those puppies until last spring. When new, I found them a terrific balance between the depth of a 15" and the punchiness of 10's. Great for finger style, dub-reggae with a very "rootsy" vibe. I played through a stack of them which was a load of fun; two were defintely better than one. Folks often commented on my live tone when i had 'em. I say "had" them because after a while I started to feel that they were a little "soft" sounding, a tad "spongy" or something. I also am not a fan of Eden construction and find their cabs to be a little cheap, for me at least.
    There has been a real proliferation of 12" loaded cabs this past year and I think allot of them have surpassed those D212XLT's in both quality and sound. I traded my two Eden's to BassNW and now play through a stack of EB-MM HD212's that reach far deeper than the Edens ever did and are of much sturdier construction. The Ernie Ball's are also a hefty 95 lbs to the Eden's nicely portable 74 lbs. My new cabs have a much "throatier" midrange that really snarls; so great. The EB's extra headroom of 600-800w's was also a factor for me; the Eden's are only 350w.
    So...if you are a fan of Eden products I'd say that these cabs are very cool. Now a days however, I'd say that there were maybe better 2x12's to be had. My D212XLT's served me well but i think I just out grew them. If you like what you hear, I'd seriously encourage you to consider buying another; playing through that 4x12 Eden stack was really something and improves your lowend noticeably. Also, if you jam with any loud guitar you may find yourself wanting a bit more "slice" which an additional 2x10 can really help with (my "rock" set-up was a D212XLT and D210XLT.)

[​IMG]