EDEN 212 XLT review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just bought a used mint condition EDEN 212 XLT Bass cabinet. I had an excellent deal on it and want to share my opinion with you about it.

I read many bad comments about them on TalkBass and others but I totally disagree.

The Cabinet delivers a punchy sound with lots of mids and bottom, a perfect halfway between 15`s and 2X10`s cabinets ! It has a great sonic presence and cuts through very well in a live situation. The horn is of excellent quality and is easily tweekable.

I am now an EDEN fan !

:) :) :)
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've never tried and Eden 212 but I have an EBS 212 I love. I am now a converted 12" user for life. Perfect balance of everything, assuming they are placed in a properly designed cabinet.
  3. I had two of those puppies until last spring. When new, I found them a terrific balance between the depth of a 15" and the punchiness of 10's. Great for finger style, dub-reggae with a very "rootsy" vibe. I played through a stack of them which was a load of fun; two were defintely better than one. Folks often commented on my live tone when i had 'em. I say "had" them because after a while I started to feel that they were a little "soft" sounding, a tad "spongy" or something. I also am not a fan of Eden construction and find their cabs to be a little cheap, for me at least.
    There has been a real proliferation of 12" loaded cabs this past year and I think allot of them have surpassed those D212XLT's in both quality and sound. I traded my two Eden's to BassNW and now play through a stack of EB-MM HD212's that reach far deeper than the Edens ever did and are of much sturdier construction. The Ernie Ball's are also a hefty 95 lbs to the Eden's nicely portable 74 lbs. My new cabs have a much "throatier" midrange that really snarls; so great. The EB's extra headroom of 600-800w's was also a factor for me; the Eden's are only 350w.
    So...if you are a fan of Eden products I'd say that these cabs are very cool. Now a days however, I'd say that there were maybe better 2x12's to be had. My D212XLT's served me well but i think I just out grew them. If you like what you hear, I'd seriously encourage you to consider buying another; playing through that 4x12 Eden stack was really something and improves your lowend noticeably. Also, if you jam with any loud guitar you may find yourself wanting a bit more "slice" which an additional 2x10 can really help with (my "rock" set-up was a D212XLT and D210XLT.)