Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 2x10XLT + 1x15XLT + SVTIIIPro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, May 21, 2002.

1. Ok, I know the SVTIIIPro isnt the ideal head for these cabs, but I'm getting a pretty good deal from my local shop, and I'm tired of my Ampeg cabs. GAS

So anyhow, I'll deal with the SVTIIIPro pushing these cabs for now ..... hmmm, then what to buy for a new head? btw, I dont really like the Eden heads that much. SVT4Pro? Mesa?

oh yea, I'm buying the cabs only, I already have the SVTIIIPro.

Greg

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Those are excellent cabs!........If you like the sound of the Ampeg and you want more juice, you might consider a Ampeg pre + a seperate power amp.

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    definately go for the cabs.

i second the power/pre setup.

4. yep the power amp idea has floated around before, running the preamp out of my SVTIIIPro. anyone have a good suggestion considering the cabs are:

2x10 = 350watts @ 8 ohms
    1x15 = 400watts @ 8 ohms

sweet, thanks

Greg

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you don't run stereo, you could get a carvin DCM1000, bridge it, and run 1000w total. that'd work.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The QSC PLX1602/2402 are nice lightweight poweramps........& Carvin power amps a good bang for the buck, but a little heavier. You could sell you SVT3 and get just a Ampeg preamp.....the preamp & QSC poweramp would be about as light or lighter than just your PRO3....with a lot more juice:D

7. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I also recommend the QSC PLX series power amps. I got a used PLX 1602 to replace the SVT-III Pro. If you want the power without losing the Ampeg tone, it's worth considering the SVT-BSP preamp. This power/pre combination will weigh 30 pounds and have 400 watts more power at 4 ohms than the 42 pound SVT-4 Pro. Also, you leave your options open to switch the preamp down the road if your taste in tone changes.