Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 2X10XLT and 1X15XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Anyone have this setup? Is the difference in efficiency a problem?

I have an Eden 1X18XL to go with my 2X10XLT currently (powered by a Thunderfunk) and you have to really turn up to get the 18 pumping. It sounds great, but I'm not into killing my hearing just yet (unless it for when my wife interrupts me during football :spit: ).

I'm just wondering if the Eden 1X15XLT matches well in the real world.

Lync

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent used it but it would probably be a better match
    18's usually need a lot of watts to sound their best - 15s are more forgiving

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My opinion? SUX. Why?

The 210xlt and the 115xlt have vastly different voicings that to my ear just fight each other rather than compliment.

If I get the 115 the way I like, the 210 is harsh as hell and if I get the 210 the way I like, the 115 is mud and boom without definition.

If I get 15+ feet away from the boxes the sound starts to come together a little better and nobody tells me they sound bad out in the room but if you stand onstage 5' away it ain't no fun at all.

Thats just a comment on tone and keep in mind that I'm not a big fan of the "Eden sound". I'm in the minority on that I'm sure.

As far as a problematic difference in output between the two cabinets....not that I notice. At least no more than you would expect to hear from two different cabinets with one being significantly closer to your ear than the other.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I used this rig for years, with an Ampeg SVP and an Eden WT-1000. It sounded fantastic and made ALL of the neighbors complain (they never griped about the SWR 1x18 + 2x10). I never had more compliments on my sound, and there was no drummer or guitar player that it could not push through. Really filled a club with sound too.

It sounds better if you put the 210 on the ground and the 115 above. That was reccomended to me by the late Pat Lyman, he really nailed it. He used a 410 with the 115 on top.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Biker-I was never a fan of the Eden sound until I got my Thunderfunk. I bought the 2X10XLT a couple of years ago and never really dug it. I always thought using it in a stack mat help though.

I remember Pat Lyman from alt.guitar.bass...Dr. Bass also recommends using the 15 on top!

Still, the 18 isn't what I want, and the 15 is local. I'm going to trade the 18 in for the 15 and I'll report back.

I think the Thunderfunk can make anything sound good though!

Lync

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I remember Pat. On his way home from a gig and got killed by a drunk driver. What a waste.

I'm sure you'll like the 115xlt. It's good stuff.

I just have a weird gig. Sinatra and Louis Armstrong stuck between ZZ top, Merl Haggard, Skynyrd and whatever else the crowd thinks they can stump the band with. Then there's the bluegrass gig...

I have yet to find a voiced cabinet that can cover that kind of tonal range.

7. Ryan Stasik of Umphrey's Mcgee runs that set up and I've always LOVED his tone

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

I'd think you'd want to go for some true Hi-Fi, like EA or Bag End (something without much of a built-in sound), and dial in the various tones with different preamps or EQ.

Check the thread on the sans amp bass driver. You can get a squeaky clean amp and stick that box in front of it, and with the footswitch kick in some warm'n'funky.

9. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    Seconded. I just watched their DVD for the first time the other day - great stuff.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The Eden/ SWR SM500 rig is my back up.

My weapon of choice is an Acme B4 with a B2 on top and a plx2400 with a grand prix pre-amp. THAT rig is just astounding.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    biker,

Nice rig! I wish I had available power to run a rig like that. For most of the gigs I play, it seems like the whole band is being run off of one extension cord! :meh:

That being said, the Thunderfunk doesn't have to go past noon to make ears bleed.

I guess if the 1X15 doesn't work out (I'm pretty sure it will), I'll possibly try a 2X12 cab.

Lync

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What excellent taste! My weapon of choice is an Acme B2 with a B2 on top and a plx3200 with a grand prix pre-amp.

I concur - it is astounding! :D

Alex

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Great minds think alike!

What kind of tube do you run? I just changed to a telefunken.

What a "Come to Jesus" experience that was. Between the SWR being sensitive to tubes and the Acme's being able to reproduce it all, it took about half a song to decide that was the best $50 I ever spent on tone.