1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden 2x12 or 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slaine01, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Currently running an Eden WT800C and Eden 2x10 XST cabinet.
    Also using an Epifani 4x10 but am probably going to go fully Eden and sell the Epifani.
    Considering that Eden (apparently) are bringing out Neodymium cabs later in the year and I will certainly be upgrading to these (to save my back...) but before then I am considering either the Eden 4x10 XST or 2x12 XLT cabinets.
    With my set up - what would be the better option (the 2x12 is 10 kilo's lighter by the way). Does anyone run either of these configurations?

2. If you are looking at running a 410, I'd get the 410XLT to go with your 210XST or stick with your idea of a 212XLT if you're keen to save in weight.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 410XST just as much as my 410XLT, but I think having the XLT voiced speakers with your current XST is an awesome match, plus it gives you added flexibilty in tone.
    I have heard the 212XLT and lifted one and they are definately much kinder on your back than a 410XST but they are completely different sounding cabs. See if you can try them out somewhere. I hear the new "Bass People" Store in annandale (The old "Bassplayer" store) have some Eden floor stock. See which works best for your ears and your back! :)

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    The D212xlt/D210xst is the best sounding cab combination I have ever heard, I have used that setup myself plenty of times.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go with the D-410XST because I think that's what will sound best.

5. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    How does that combination work for rock, Vinny_D?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mark believe it or not, those Eden 12's are quite midrangey. We've got a 112XLT in the store and IMO it's a great cab for punch and cut, but it's not a full sounding as the Eden 410XLT. I imagine the 2x12 would sound similar to the 1x12 but louder and only slightly fuller.

7. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    if you're waiting for the neos to come out, then wait for the 410, if it doesn't matter then get the 410xlt, also the d112xlts are great but you would need two to go with the 21xst, the 212xlt is a smoother sounding cabinet , more like old school, you also can save alittle bit of money and get a 21xlt to go with the 21xst,KILLER , deep and punching, they when the neos come out, get them

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

Considering that rock is pretty much all that I play I would say it works out pretty good:D
    Too me it is the perfect cab combination, especially if you use drop-D tuning or a 5-string bass. You get huge bottom end from the 210XST cab and you get the punch from the 212XLT, I gigged with that setup for 2-years and loved every second of it.

9. Hi Vinny, as you have used the cab configuration i have just bought - Eden 2x10XST and 2x12 XLT - do you run it as Bridged Mono (as both my new cabs are 8 ohm) or out of the left and right outputs?
    I don't think I will Bi-Amp, as I used to many moons ago, but running left and right amps out I can at least control the balance, via the Eden WT800c "Balance" control between the cabs, but wont be able to do that in Bridged Mono.
    Did you find any issues with this on stage between the cabs perceived volumes?

Thanks mate and Gidday Petebass :)

10. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    There is NO need to biamp that setup, those cabs where designed to be run full range.
    My cabs are 4-ohm versions so with my WT1205 I run the amp in dual mono (one cab each channel), seeing how you have the WT800C and 8-ohm cabs I would run that setup in bridge mode. I don't hear any difference in volume output between the two cabs, they are pretty equal and will give you a huge sound when you fire them up!

One last thing, even though it may be a pain in the *ss to remove the castors from the D212xlt the setup IMO sounds best when the D210xst is coupled to the floor and the D212xlt is stacked on top.

My pic from the Eden website when I was using the WT550:
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks Vinny - cool photo :)
    I would never have thought of putting the 2x10 on the bottom - is this because of the XST voicing?
    I was kinda expecting the 2x12 XLT's to be driving the bottom end more but as Petebass said they appear to sound a little "middy" in tone - did you find that with your set up?

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'm running the 212XLT with the 210XLT. This is a beefy, growly, deep rig.

If you already have the 210XST, you'll love the 212XLT with it. Petebass is right. It gives you just enough midrange growl, but the 212 cab is much thicker and deeper than the single 112XLT cab. There's magic in the 212XLT.

I've played the 410XST recently, and that thing rolls the thunder like nothing else. But if you can, pair up your 210XST with a XLT-voiced cabinet.

I'm looking to expand my cab selection so I can keep a full rig at both my practice places, and my current ideas are:

Another 212XLT and a 210XST
    A 210XST/210XLT at one place and a dual 212XLT at the other
    A 610XLT

Too bad all my brilliant ideas require currency... :(

13. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Yes, I put the 210xst on the bottom because it has a better low frequency response and it gives you a great sub-like feel when it couples with floor.

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Normally I'd say the 410XST, but since you're pairing it with a 210XST, go for the 12's. Either way it'll sound great.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what I was worried about. That's why i spoke up. And seeing you're currently using the 210XST as an extension to a 410, you're clearly haven't seen it as a bottom endy cab in the past. Personally I don't hear all that much bottom end in a 210XST, even when coupled with the floor. It's about as bassy as my 210XLT to my ears. I know that goes against the Eden spiel for XST cabs, and it goes against the grain of this thread, but that's what I hear. And it's also what customers hear when they try the cab. The most common word used to describe it's sound it "Tight", but they never comment on the lows in the same way they do for other cabs.

12's are interesting because while most of us perceive they'll sound like smallish 15's (and some do e.g.Epifani 12's), some like the Eden sound like bigggish 10's of years gone by. I know there are some pretty low sounding 10's nowadays but IMO the Eden 10's need 4 of them to get any real lows.

16. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Not to get too far OT here, but what about pairing a 212XLT with my 410XLT? Or would I be better off supplementing the 410XLT with a 210XST?

17. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

The drivers in the D212xlt are not the same drivers used in the D112xlt cabs, they sound completely different.

18. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

The D212xlt does not work well with the D410xlt because of the difference in overall output, the D410xlt is a louder cab. The only way that setup works well is if you are using an amplifier that has a balance control (like the WT800 or WT1205 when run in dual mono). When run together being powered by a mono power source the 410xlt walks all over the 212xlt.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Vinny I'm not criticising your rig. I apologise if it came across that way. If it works for you, then it's clearly a great rig for your needs. Trouble is I know Slaine01, and I know his playing and his sound, and that's driving my comments here.

OK I'll back off until the 212 arrives. But if it is true that the drivers in the 1x12 are different to the drivers in the 2x12, Eden would be the only I can think of that uses different drivers in this way.....and as always I could be wrong.

20. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks, Vinny. I was concerned about the SPL difference, but didn't know if 3dB would be as noticable if used in the same stack.

Hmmmm.....now what do I get?