EDEN 4-10 XLT and general horn question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by odie, Oct 8, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a Eden cab with an adjustable horn. Any idea on how high I should have the horn turned up to?? I know let my ear be my guide. But Im curious on what a standard setting is.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The standard setting is really what sounds good to your ear and the band's overall sound.

Line your amp's eq, how you set the tweeter level at home might be completely different that how you might set it on the bandstand...
  3. I have mine turned almost off. I feel guilty having it off because it's like I'm waisting it xD

But too much can make it hiss.
  4. Standard? Probably anything other than the extremes. Personally I keep the horns on my Eden and Aggie (both 210s) at about 25% because I hate fret noise and I think it sounds harsh with the tweeters high. They sound like crap without them though. When I tried my Eden out in the store, the lightbulb that completes the circuit to the tweeter was busted and it sounded like total mud...the Low Down Sound guys replaced the bulb, and hey, there's the sound I like! So I bought it. :bassist:
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    There really is no "typical" setting. Some guys turn it all the way off, some guys turn it all the way up. I have mine at about 2 o'clock. If your cab starts lighting up (literally) it means you are pushing too much high frequency material, so you need to turn down the treble on your EQ or turn down the attenuator on the cab.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I like it bright (most stingray players do), and I have mine at 12 o'clock. If my strings are dead, I bump it up to 2 o'clock or so.

But iot would certainly vary depending on which bass you're playing and how your ears like it.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    from what i understand it's not good to turn the horn completely off - ask eden why, i forget
  8. True 'nuff; burns out the resistor or sumtin. Whizzers are evil im my world...away wit ye!
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Really I never knew it was a no-no!
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm not sure what the details are but I once asked Dave from Avatar if he had problems with customers blowing tweeters with his 6 dB/octave crossover. He said no, but also mentioned that some customers who completely turn the tweeter off have burned out the L Pad (tweeter level control).

Also, when Andy Lewis (Acme) designed the Series II cabinets, the crossovers were modified so that you can't turn the mid and tweeter completely off...possibly for the same reason.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok maybe I will try turning down the tweeter. But will leave it at 9 0'clock(25%) just in case Eden doesnt have a failsafe for L-Pad. Does anyone know if Eden does this?? If not I will contact Eden.