Eden 4-10XLT(w/SM400s )Vs.Other SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I am fed up with not being able to hear myself onstage.The guitars in my band are very loud.One Triple Rectifierw/6-12's and one JCM900/one 5150w/Two 4-12's.Both armed with Les pauls and a very loud drummer with a DW kit.I currently use a SWR 400s with a Triad (4ohms) and Goliath Jr.3(8 ohms).I am always running out of headroom and cannot hear myself onstage.Would bridging my 400s into an Eden 4-10 XLT do the trick?How would the Eden stack up against a Goliath 3, Goliath Sr. or Henry 8x8.Either way i am just looking for one cab that I an bridge my head into that will be louder(or just cut through more)than my current setup.I plan on keeping the Goliath Jr. for smaller gigs.Please.......I need some help with this.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You wouln't be in any better shape with the XLT. If you're dealing with that kind of volume, you're not going to do much better. For a gig like that I'd suggest:

Yeah. With that kind of Guitar facing you, I'd throw down for a Big rig, and at LEAST 1000 watts of power. Course, that might be out of the question, price range wise, but with that many manic people next to you, you're gonna get buried with anything less.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Brendan is right you need a big powerful rig. something else that I have found that works is putting a wedge monitor made for bass in front of you. Of course you will probably need a power amp to run it. My rig is an Ampeg B4r (350watts X 2) pushing an Ampeg 610hlf behind me on stage and a Carvin tilt back 210 cab in front of me. If you don't like Carvin I think Eden makes one too. My suggestion would be keeping the set up you now have behind you and getting the Carvin RL600/210 combo to put in front of you on stage. That way you would also have the 210 combo for small gigs and practice.
  4. good idea....do you just use your pre amp out into the input of the 2x10?

SWR also makes a 1x12 bass monitor
  5. Yes they do!!!

Just started making them again in fact, this is a great cab!!
  6. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What about the Henry 8x8 with my 400s, or the Goliath Sr.?Will any of these be enough?I am keeping the Goliath Jr., so i could try putting that in front of me as a monitor, but I want to know which cab will be the best replacement for the Triad as a stand alone cab.
  7. I use a SM-400s with my 8x8 and this combo thumps!!

i can't turn it up past halfway with my band. We play med-large gigs.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Your problem is more a lack of wattage in the amp. I don't think trying to power a Goliath Sr. with a 400 watt amp is the answer, my friend. I think your two SWR cabs would be plenty if you had a Bass 750 or a 900, for instance.
  9. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What kind of music do you play?
  10. Acoustic rock, with a electric lead guitar
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got the same speaker rig as you, except i have a 4 ohm jr instead of an 8.

powered by a DCM1000...i am pretty much unstoppable. (with the poweramp dimed, i can't turn the master volume above 1/3 or i'm WAY too loud) i am in a 9 piece funk band (loud drummer, loud percussionist, loud guitar, keyboard rig with a pair of peavey combos and himself way too loud in the monitors, anda 4 piece horn section)

since you have an 8 ohm it's gonna need more power, a dcm1500 or 2000 should do very nicely, just make sure you don't end up giving too much power to the triad.

furthermore...since when does any guitar player need SIX or EIGHT 12" SPEAKERS?!?!?!?! in the words of my girlfriend "now you're just being retarded" have them cut back to at MOST a 4x12 a piece and you should be alot better off.

sheesh, my guitar players Line6 AX212 is PLENTY loud.
  12. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
  13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Well, the Triad for one is an inefficient cab (98 db @1W1M, vs 105 for the Goliath III, noticeably louder with same number of watts) so you're not going to get the most from your head counting on that one. The 210 just isn't much speaker area so you're not moving a lot of air.

Speaker area is going to do more for you than more watts as far as competing with the stacks goes. (note that a Marshall or Mesa head is still running at 100W whether they're pushing 4 or 8 12's) If I'm reading your initial post correctly, I'd suggest running an efficient 4 ohm 410 (Eden, SWR, Aguilar, etc...) off each side of the head or running 2 8ohm cabs off the bridge. The key is getting as many speakers to work for you so that your sound has as much dispertion as the guitars.

Frankly, those guitar rigs sound like overkill to me.
  14. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    My two guitarists have two half stacks - vintage marshall and a reissue sunn model T... We're pretty loud, and I wouldn't dream of competing with either of them without a minmum of eight tens and 300 tube watts or 500 SS watts. I'm currently running an Ashdown 500 and two Eden 410XLT's.

Your guitarists rigs sound like overkill to me too. One half stack per guitar is more than enough IMO...

If I were in your shoes I'd go for more power and more speakers.
  15. Yeah it thumps!

I was having volume problems with my SWR SM 400-S using a SOB 1x15 & Goliath Jr.

So I sold the SOB to put towards a 8x8.
    BIG volume difference.

I kept the Goliath Jr. to use as a monitor and light weight stand alone rig for smaller gigs, rehearsal, etc...

To get the most out of your SM400-S, both tone and volume the Henry 8x8 is the way to go. The cabinet is 480 watts @ 4 ohms, so it matches the 500 watts bridged of the SM 400-S quite well. It thumps much better then a 4x10 rated at 700 watts @ 8 ohms.
  16. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The thing is our singer is the one with the the 4-12 and 2-12 and there are a few songs when he doesn't play gutiar.This was leaving a huge hole in our sound when he didn't play.Thus our lead gutiar player switched from one head and 4-12 to two heads and two 4-12's.This solved the problem when our singer wasn't playing and in my opinion when I can hear myself the best.The problem is when they are both playing it's just so loud.You guys are right it is overkill but our singer won't listen to anyone.The best we can hope for is to let him keep his 6-12's and hope the soundman does his job.This being said I have a choice between trading my Goliath Jr. +$400 for a GoliathSr. or buying a Ampeg SVT8-10 for $400 and keeping my GoliathJr.Keep in mind I will be using the same head(SM400s)for now.My singer obviously thinking bigger is better wants me the get the Ampeg and has even offered to transport it around for me being that I live in a 2nd floor apartment.What do you guys think?
  17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I had the opportunity to use an Ampeg 810 with my SM400 when I was playing with a band that had one in the reheasal space.....

F'ing loud as heck. That will definitely do the job BUT:

It's an Ampeg cab and so its not going to sound as flat the SWR's. I would definitely try it before committing to it as it is so different from SWR gear.

So you're set on keeping the Triad eh?

Personally I'd go for the Sr. I used to like Ampeg cabs... now I'm a snob, I guess.
  18. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    No, I'm selling the Triad ,that's how i'm getting the $400
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I dunno about the Ampeg 810 but the Goliath Sr. is a thousand watt cab. If you try to drive it with that 400 watt amp AND you push the amp into clipping, you've got an excellent chance of having some fried voice coils on your hands. It's downright foolish to underpower a cab like the Goliath Sr. (or presumably, the Ampeg 810). But do whatever you like. Maybe you won't ever drive that amp into clipping and will be OK. OTOH, sometimes it's most effective (and painful) to learn the hard way. In any case, good luck, amigo.
  20. For exactly the same size and a little less weight, the Henry being pushed will be louder then a Goliath Sr. at half power.