Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden 410xlt and low B...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Feb 7, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    does someone uuse an eden 410xlt cabinet with a 5 strings bass?

can it handle a low B?

specs on the eden site say "frequency response 50hz"...

having not tried one, I don't know if that's enough to reproduce a low B...

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Low B = 31hz

3. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I know... but cabinet specs don't really tell how they sound...

I tried several 4x10' rated at 40h or more that handled a low B...

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Hell yes, definitely fine with the Low B from my limited experience.

5. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    in my opinion the 410XLT is one of the best five string stand alone cabs around. There is more to a cab than its numbers.

danman

6. I had the D410XLT owned by my daughter's bassist on the test bench. This cab is totally gutless at 31 Hz.

This is also below the cabinet tuning frequency, so I would be careful not to play down low at any volume, for fear of damage.

However, the 2nd harmonic is every bit as strong as the fundamental in the typical bass. You will hear plenty of output at 62 Hz, and a ton of output in the 80 to 120 Hz range. This will give you the (satisfactory) illusion of a low B string.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the eden isnt my favorite cabinet but it's cool for low b. like bg said, it's more of a cab that produces the upper partials of the low b than the note itself. most of the time i prefer that as you tend to hear that as a "tighter" sound.

8. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I play with a pick and I always search for a tight and punchy sound... I hate boomy bass...

so I think that the "illusion" of a low B stated above could work for me... right?

but I didn't understand the "fear of damage"... will I damage the cabinet playing a low B?

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great cab works with just about anything. Sounds great with a low B. Curious... hwat other cabs are you considering??

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just hope it doesn't have one of those hopping, alien tweeter magnets

:bag:

:D

11. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I am considering a cabinet made by an italian brand called ATS... which is one of the greatest cabs I ever tried... but the eden develops more volume, so I think I'll go for the eden unless it has problems with the low B...

but I read it should work great... :hyper:

ATS halso makes nice 1x12' and I was thinking about buying two of them.. but they are a bit expensive...

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My XLT went to pieces when pushed with a low b. Two of the drivers failed. I no longer play Eden gear.

13. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    now I am a bit worried... :eek:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My 410XLT was not as loud when I played the low B, but I still got the illusion of the low B that bgavin referred to. It sounds great, which is what matters most of the time. If you are looking for a cab to produce that actual 31hz frequency, keep looking. The 410XLT will not produce it for you.

-Mike

15. I have no issues with my D410XLT. Mine is the 20th anniversary cabinet (before Eden was acquired), bought new in '96. The cabinet is crazy loud, provides solid lows and a nice midrange punch.

16. if you want low B, then get an Eden XST.

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    handled it fine for me.

18. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had the same experience with a 210XLT. I don't care what anyone says, they aren't that good at handling the low b.
    Customer service were rude. ($175.00 to replace a driver yourself!)
    I no longer use Eden gear either.

19. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have a 210XLT that I use my 5 and 6 on and it handles it like a 2 dollar whore, all night long. I am using my WT800 with it. Don't forget, power goes both ways, if you are not pushing the cabinet with enough wattage you can damage it as well. I have heard of damaging it easier with not enough as well.

The Epifani cabinets are really something. If you can try one of the UL410's.

20. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    well I don't know if I really need that frequency...

I usually play with highs boosted and lows cut all the way down on my g&l.... with a pick!

so I guess if what I hear when I play a low B is a 31hz note or what...?

I know that an underpowered amp could damage speakers... I plan to use an eden WT550.... isn't that enough?