Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 410XLT problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 17, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...I was soooooo excited to finally get a taste of nice speaker cabs when I picked up my Eden 410XLT yesterday.

I plugged my Hartke3500 in, and hooked up the cab. The cab is 8ohms, so it was receiving 240 watts total. I turned it on, and had my buddy play the bassline to VooDoo from Godsmack. It sounded sweet. We turned the volume up pretty high, and started playing. Then the cab started crackling, and the sound would completely shut off for 3-4 seconds at a time here and there. I backed the bass way down, and it was OK again. It played much better at high volume with the bass backed off.

Does that mean that these 410XLT's can not handle the low B string at high volume? The only possible thing I could find wrong with our connections was that the cable from the back of the amp to the cab was an instrument cable, not an actual speaker cable.

-Mike

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sounds like your amp is clipping. Only putting 240 watts into the cab sounds very low. Give it what it is rated at or close to that and you should have no probs. My ampeg cabs are nowhere near as good as eden stuff and they can handle anything low or high at any volume. I did have a similar problem trying to drive a 1500 watt cab with a 500 watt amp at a guitar store once. Then we plugged in the 2500 watt poweramp and things were all good.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds like you're also overdriving your tweeter. turn it down, and you'll lessen that high end crackling you might hear.

4. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    i have an eden 410 xlt and i had a problem with it for a short while. heres my story.

i am running a mesa boogie mpulse 600 into at a eden 410xlt. they are matched...(4 ohm cab and 4 ohm head) my rig sounded great for about 3 weeks and then i started noticing a slight crackling at high volume. since it was still under warranty i took it back to the store (washington music center...paul shine...thanx bud) and it turns out that it was one of the speaker wires was resting on the back of the cone and when the cone vibrated it buzzed on the cable. it was a 5 minute fix and i never had any problem with it since. i dont know what to tell you about the volume cutting out but it sounds to me like its an amp problem. as far as the eden not handling the low b....not an issue. i play a stingray 5 that i drop to g# for a couple of songs and i never had a problem with the low end. as a matter of fact i am i am always dropped at least 1/2 step lower than b and i play a lot on the b string and i have never heard a cabinet sound better. just my two cents but i would reccomend eden 410's to anyone and anytime i am asked about my sound....i reccomend the eden all the time.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    USE SPEAKER CABLE!

Also, you probably arent feeding it enough power.

240 Watts isnt enough to really push the 410 XLT to high levels.

Peace
    Nick

TMARK likes this.
  6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap!

i didnt realize you said this until Nick pointed it out! dood, you're gonna ruin your amp and cab by using that instrument cable. its not insulated enough to handle the high wattage.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent....you guys rock!

Thanks for the personal experience bazzhed4.

bazzhed4.....are you serious about the low end in this cab????? I would love to just run this cab, and quit hauling around my 215. If it really puts out like you say, this could be awesome for me.

Well, maybe I will be back in the market for an amp after all. I need something to push almost 700 watts into 8ohms. On a $400 budget, I think I am dreaming.

Looks like I may have to sell it before I could even enjoy it. :(

Woops...I just saw the most recent reply. I kinda wondered about the instrument cable thing. I got some 12 gauge wire at my buddies house. we are gonna pick it up in the morning.

-Mike

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, you're gonna need some power to push that thing. that's one thing about the 410 xlt...it's power hungry (but efficient), rated at 700W and it doesn't exactly like a low b...without a 15 or an 18, you're going to have to leave the bass controls flat or just a hair boosted if you don't want it to die at high volume.

9. A D410XLT is power hungry???

I think not. It is one of THE most efficient cabs made.

An Acme is power hungry. It requires 10x the power to make the same noise as the D410XLT.

There is a huge difference between being power hungry, and how much power it is able to handle. The D410XLT is rated at 700 watts, which calculates to an SPL of 134 at 1 meter.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like loose internal speaker wire. By the way, 240 watts will drive this cabinet just fine. It's just that you can't crank it so much that it clips. You could drive the cab with a 10-watt head and get great sound, but your amp would start to clip at low volumes. The reason you need more power is to get sufficient headroom to avoid clipping at your desired volume level. The cab's power rating is just to tell you how much clean power it can handle.

I've used my little WT-300 to drive an 8-ohm D-410XLT at countless gigs with no problems. That's about 240 watts into the 700-watt cab. You just aren't going to get max volume out of the cab. I've noticed that that mofo is HELLA loud when I bridge my WT-800 into it. Sounds just bitchen.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    only in the sense that it's rated at 700W (though there are lots that are bigger)...sorry...i did say that it was an efficient cab.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, I am gaining understanding.

It did sound sweet at 240 watts, just not as loud as I like. I even played some music throught it. Now THAT was sweet sounding, I was amazed. I have some audiophile friends that I can impress with this rig. But, I was really frustrated with the low B thing. I never expected it to cut out like that.

I am going to buy a power amp tho...picture this......

Eden 410XLT running at 540 watts
    Black Widow 215 running at 900 watts.

Would this be considered a lethal weapon? Hehehe

-Mike

13. I run a D4x10xlt with a WT-800 going though it (bridged, so that means 800w). I have it bridged. I can turn the volume beyond any reasonable means without distortion. This cab doesn't really come alive untill you throw some power at it.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I meant to say that.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I think once I secure the right power amp, I am gonna start LOVING this cab.

I can't wait...off to the For Sale forum I go, cash in hand!

Boo-Yeah!!

-Mike

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Why don't you check out the cab and amp with the right speaker cord before you go blowing your money.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, good idea Reefer....but I am going to need a new amp no matter what. The Eden is 8 ohms. The 215 I got is 4ohms.

I am going to buy some nice speaker cable tomorrow....12 gauge with the conductors side by side.

-Mike

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it sounds like like you amp was cutting off from over heating from that cord.

if you get a power amp you need a preamp. so just keep your hartke to use as a preamp and a practice head..or back up. just rack mount it with the poweramp

sounds good!!! 2x15 4x10 perfect

steve

19. Is an Ampeg SVT Classic with 300 watts not enough to drive an Eden XLT like you are describing?

20. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    image.jpeg
    So was the EQ set flat and has the cab been checked to see if the cones have been creased by the previous owner and his mate finding out how loud it will go on a b string with an active bass, with the bass EQ dime'd, and a whole lot of smilie face in the amp EQ.
    The question is or should be, how many mechanical watts as opposed to thermal watts will an Eden 4x10 XLT handle?, well if your EQ choice is all highly boosted at 50Hz with little signal other than at that frequency, not very much at all, but neither will any other 4X10.
    This is more usual with the 2x10 LXT and a bridged 1K power amp.:-( as is usually the way of those who believe in having a lot of headroom but have no understanding that headroom has to include the loudspeaker choice or service life suffers badly.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015