Eden 410XLT vs. (2)Aguilar GS112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkmonkey, Apr 11, 2002.

1. I am considering selling my Eden and buying 2 Aguilars. I'm not unhappy with my sound,but I would love the portability it would give me. I am wondering how it would go with my Warwick Thumb 5 BO and Eden Traveler 400? :confused:
    I'm just tired of hauling it around. I couls leave one Aguilar at my guitarist's house where we practice and carry the other home. EASY...
  2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    really? why do you say that? the eden has more speaker area and is more efficient (106db vs. 102db). i think the gain in wattage will be more than offset by these two factors. i'm also thinking of selling my eden 410xlt to go aguilar (2x12). have you found any good prices on them, funkymonkey?

3. Hey Steve (and funkmonkey),
    Let me share my experience with you, re: Aguilar 2x12 vs. Eden D-410XLT. I A/B'd the two cabs at Bass Central a few months ago, both being fed by one stereo side of an Eden Navigator/WT-1000. Both were 8-ohm cabs. I thought the Aguilar sounded better, so I sold my Eden and got the Aguilar.
    Of course, I should have compared the cabs using my amp set-up -- an SWR SM-900 in bridged mode -- before making the switch. But, I didn't. And when I tried my new Aguilar with my band (loud guitar and drums) it was a different story. The Aguilar just can't quite match the Eden for punch and definition. I didn't really think it through: the Aguilar is a 600-watt 2x12, and the Eden is a 700-watt 4x10. Of course the Eden is gonna have a bit more volume and punch! The Aguilar comes real close, but it's just not quite enough.
    So, I bought an Aguilar 2x10 today from Gard. I'll be running a 2x10 and a 2x12 with my amp putting out the full 900 watts. That should do the trick!
    I guess it also depends on what kind of music you're playing and with how many other pieces, but I found that for my situation, the Aguilar 2x12 didn't quite match the Eden 4x10.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A major reason for the popularity of the D410XLT is its ability to cut through in a band situation. While I prefer the sound of the Ags due to superior low-end projection, they probably won't cut through as well as the Eden because they aren't voiced in the mids like the Eden.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the D410XLT sound but I keep one for those gigs when I really need to punch through in a loud rock situation. When matched with an Eden WT800 in mono-bridge mode, there really is a sort of special synergy that exists.
  5. a 210 and a 212? That's the rig setup I'm thinking of. Keep us posted on how it turns out (compared to your Eden 410), Dave
  6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Just curious. How are you running the 2x12 and 2x10 bridged out of your SWR? I was thinking of the same set up but my Mo' Bass has a Speakon bridged out and the Aggie cabs dont have a Speakon in and out like my SWRs do. Does your SM-900 have a 1/4" bridged out jack?
  7. Will do! The cab should arrive Monday, and I'll have band practice Wednesday.
    The 2x10 + 2x12 definitely should be bigger and ballsier than the Eden 4x10, because that was an 8-ohm cab, and with the two Aguilars I'll be running a 4-ohm load.
  8. I'm gonna daisychain it. SM-900 in bridged mode, Speakon out of the amp to the Speakon input of the 2x12, then 1/4" out of the 2x12 to the Speakon input of the 2x10. I checked with SWR and Aguilar and both said it would work safely.
  9. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Hey funky,

I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I was playing a gig where the main stage was upstairs and I had to carry my two Ampeg Pro Series cabs to the stage. That was the worst experience:mad: .

So, I went to my local bass guru and he recommend 2 Aguilar GS112's as a solution. He let me try them out on a local gig that next night and I was sold. You are not going to get the volume of a 4x10 cab out of them but that's what the mains out front are for anyway. I run a Demeter preamp and a QSC PLX2402 into the little cabs and I've never had to go passed the half way on the volume knob:D . That's my $.02, good luck

10. Thanks for the input guys. My cab is 8 ohms. So the 4 ohm load is definitely a factor. I guess now I nedd to find someone who wants to buy a 410XLT!
    I just hope I don't have to ship it. I wonder what a fair price would be? :confused:
  11. Well i sent a Hartke 2115 Combo, 75lbs, through UPS ground and it cost me a little over $42. So i would say charging $50-$60 is fair, that's including handling, so to box it and all.
  12. I just recently sold my Hartke 410XL for 2 Aguilar GS112's. I can't tell you how happy I am. They sound amazing, and are light, about 45lb each.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've currently got one Aguilar 1x12 cab, and I'm picking another up in the next week, or so. After that, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my head to a DB359. I messed with the 359 through the 1x12 at Bass Central a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded amazing. I'm not excited about a 50lb head, but I understand that Agular has a great rack bag for the DB359.

I love the idea of taking 1 single 1x12 cab, and the head to quieter gigs, and then bringing out the second 1x12 for louder places. I don't have to compete with distorto-guitar, so I think I'll have some serious tone with little fuss.

I should have known that the amp GAS would start up as soon as I got the bass situation under control....:)
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Dave, sorry for the Aggie misgivings, but thanks a heap for the 410XLT...tell you the truth when you were smecking about at BC with both of them, I liked the Eden a lot better.

Oh well, more for me!
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey bassmonkee, check out the DB750 thread and my comments on the weight. i dunno if its worth it. really, you'll get sick of it! oi... if you're a body builder, then disregard, my girlie-man comments...
  16. If we hadn't agreed to the deal in advance, I probably would have decided to keep my Eden. [​IMG] I swear, when I had the 2x12 and the 4x10 both running off that Eden power amp and I was dialing back and forth between them, the Aguilar sounded better. Unless I got them mixed up! Anyway, now it's "more for me" too, since I'm getting the 2x10. Still, I can't match your awesomely powerful rig of doom.. :D
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not everyone can, Dave, don't feel bad! :D

Do tell how that Aggie rig works out!
  18. OK, I got the 2x10 on Monday, hooked it up with the 2x12 and put it through its paces on Tuesday (bassmonkeee came down and played through it, too) and then played it with the band today.
    It's really, really big and powerful! It's louder than the Eden 4x10, because that was 8 ohms and this is 4, so I'm pushing 900 watts now! :D And, the 12s give it more bottom than the 4x10 had. When I first hooked it all up, I tried it with just the 2x12 first, and then added the 2x10, and all that missing bite and growl came back. I am set.. this rig rocks! I think a 2x10 + a 2x12 is a great combination.
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I bought my Bergies, I got the 3/10 & 2/12 because I used to use a Eden 4/10 & 2/10 and thought I woud still need to move that much air... I was wrong! While both of them together is a beautiful thing....for most gigs I just bring the 2/12.
    It's that massive! I will still keep my Edens because they are also great cabs....just a different tone! I absolutely love the tonal choices we are now offered compared to 15 years ago. I think one of the many great things about the web, has been the ability to hear about small companies like Bergantino, Aguilar,Epifani, Acme, etc. I'm a old timer....I remember when we didn't have that many choices:D
  20. My two Eden D212XLT's sound quite a bit like Aguilar IMO. Very similar. You can get two for the price of one these days.