Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden 410xlt vs. 410xst vs aguilar gs 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Jan 28, 2002.

1. I love the xlt but the other day I played around with the xst while trying out an eden preamp (which I bought). I like the xlt's punchiness and the way that it sounds in a mix. It would be nice to have something that might work better for jazz gigs too. Does the xst still have the in your face tone that the xlt gets. Does the aggie do that?

2. Williebee

Williebee

May 4, 2001
    The Xlt is stronger in the midrange than the XST. The XST was designed to accomodate the extended low frequencies of the modern 5+ string basses with preamps and peddle basses. If your sound is a normally punchy and in your face, your best bet is the XLT. Don't know about the aggie. Lots of good preamps out there. The Eden has a great sound as do many others. Good Luck!

3. I think that the aguilar may lack some of the punchiness but only a small amount. If you take into account the price though, it seems much more worth it to get an Aguilar. Just an opinion weighing all the factors.

4. Can the xlt handle a B-string though? will it fart out?

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    All three are incredibly good cabs.

I just happen to work in a place where we have all 3, set up pretty much right next to each other. I've had the opportunity to A/B them, one right after the other.

The Aguilar is nice and warm, not as full on the mids as the XLT, or the lows of the XST, but awfully close, especially when you consider the cost difference.

The XLT is the "rock & roll" dream cab. Good sensitivity, and VERY punchy mids. Works well in hard rock situations. Will "fart" a bit if you hit it with really low notes really loud, IMO.

The XST is very flat, but warm at the same time. Doesn't have the punch of the XLT, but handles the lows considerably better, and has the best power handling ability of all three.

Which do I have? The XST. It was worth the extra $$ to me. For your application? Try them all out (if you can) and get the one that sounds best to YOUR ears.

6. would the xst handle a B-string better than a 410xlt+210xlt setup?

I'm kind of leaning toward the xst, it sounded ssssooooo good with the eden preamp.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Give in: Get the XST.

:D

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive never had a b string fart or crap out in using a wt800 and 410xlt for the past 4 years. maybe my stuff is special:p

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    narud -

The XLT is a wonderful cab, I am not trying to put it down in any way. It's just that the XST, to my ears, is much better, particularly on the lows.

Again, if I were playing in a situation where the music was all rock or hard rock, the XLT is the way to go. The XST is a more "everything" cab, it's more "polite" sounding, not as much grunt.

Use the one that sounds good to you, they're all killer, like I said. For me, there was no comparison, the XST just wasted the competition in the 410 race.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i knew you werent trying to put it down. i was just trying to throw in the other perspective. ive also never played rock with this setup either. hmmm....

how's the xst stack up to an epifani 410?

good thing im content with my amp. it leaves me more cash to try out different basses! (not to mention the fodera ive got on order that's being bought through your fine establishment):D

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    narud -

Ah ha, so you're the guy that's been makin' Grasshopper jump through all the hoops!!! ;) That's gonna be a sweet bass my friend...

I haven't had the opportunity to play the Epifani 410, but we have the 310 in stock, and it's pretty impressive. The XST still is the "one" for me though. The Epifani 212 almost changed my mind....almost....

12. Gard,

I assume you've had an opportunity to hear the new Aguilar 2x12. Any impressions? How does it compare to the Epifani 2x12?

I am very seriously considering the Aguilar 2x12.
    Thanks.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    for 5k, you damn right im gonna make some people jump through some hoops!:D

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Z4J -

No, it hasn't hit the floor just yet, unfortunately. Based on the sound of the 1x12, it should be a killer though. I will definitely let you know what's up when it shows up.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Gard has some good advice. Take his stuff into consideration, but I love my D410XLT. Its got the right punch and wattage handling for the down-tuned rock and metal I play. Adding an 18 or 15 to it would make it more to my liking, probably.

16. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Gard hit it straight on.

WATCH OUT, CAB GENERALIZATIONS AHOY OFF THE STARBOARD BOW! YARRR

D410XLT=Hard rock/alt metal cab. I call it the "sledgehammer". While it may sound middy up close, it totally ravages through the mix, providing your playing a good bass to start with ;)

D410XST=Jazzer/Hi-Fi cab. Most "open" of all the cabinets. Mids are present, but sort of "airy". Buttery low end, pleasant highs. Lots o' wattage. Might get lost in Harder Rock situations but in any other situation where your guitarist isn't chugga-chugga-chuggaing then it should work juanderful.

Aguilar G410=Not here nor there. Great Cab, cheaper than the other two and a nice mix. Doesn't have the smash of the XLT but isn't as "clean" as the XST. I'd say the more versatile of the two Edens.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just TODAY received shipment of an Aguilar GS410. What an awesome cab. Its the best of all worlds, IMO. Smoother and more musical than the D410XLT, punchier than the XST. Its kind of like right in-between the XLT and XST. The most versatile of the three, IMO.

Unfortunately, right after plugging my "keeper" in after removing it from the shipping box (best price was via mail order), I immediately noticed one bad speaker, buzzes like I'm running through a Big Muff, even playing soft at low volumes. Just the one speaker, and its clearly indicative of a bad voice coil. Fingers crossed as to whether the dealer or Aguilar itself will exchange the one bad speaker or will require return of the entire 100 lb cab (shipping costs will SUCK if that's required).

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Eric -

Aguilar should take care of you, no problem. Their customer service is exemplary. If you run into any trouble, let me know and I'll get with our rep and help you straighten it out. (I know you didn't get it from us, but that's cool, I'm here for a fellow TBer, if necessary). I can't imagine they'd make you ship the whole cab back at your expense, Eden will swap a driver out without question, I can't imagine Aguilar would be any different.

DRC/Neal -

Yup, but those generalizations WORK! ;) I got to sit and listen to Perry (mutual friend) play through his rig last nite (Eden WP-100, WT-1000, two D-410XLTs :eek: ) with his "nu-metal" band, and it's perfect for that stuff. For me, it's a bit too obnoxious, I'm not playing that slapmetal stuff.

But, as I pointed out to a customer earlier today: The XST will do what the XLT does with a little EQ'ing. The opposite is not true...

If all you're going to do is play heavy stuff, get the XLT, and you'll be happy forever. If you want more flexibility, get the XST, IMO. Of course, plenty of guys that play stuff other than hard rock are using the XLTs and getting great sounds (Nathan East, Benny Reitveld), so YMMV.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Thanks Gard. Its that kind of helpfulness that will get me to buy from you in the future (wish I would have called you for a price match before committing on the sale . . .).

You are absolutely right about Aguilar's excellent customer service. Just got off the phone with them, and I'm being taken care of. What a great company to deal with.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play detuned metal myself, through a XLT...and let me tell you, there is nothing quite like the spastic fury of Open A through that bad boy with the lows boosted just little. My guitarist was amazed that 410s don't get lost under 6x12s and a gonzo double bass drummer. For pure rock/metal, there isn't anything I've played that can beat that XLT...course, I've yet to get ahold of some Bag End gear :(