Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 4X10 Cab = Noisy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Aug 23, 2005.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've been having a problem with my Eden 4X10 cab. It's been making a constant noise, some what like 60s cycle hum even with both pickups all the way up on my Modulus J. It also doesn't quite sound as good as it used too, it just sounds harsh, the highs/high mids are just noisy and not crisp. Any ideas what this is?

2. Sounds like an amp problem to me. Have you tried the cab with a different amp, different cord, different speaker cable and different bass? That would tell you where the problem is coming from.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, or perhaps the pickups. But problems of this nature are not usually attrbutable to the speaker cab.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah thats just not a cab issue. the only thing that it could be cab wise would be a bad speaker cable to the cab, bad jack on the cab, or bad wiring in the cab. but to be honest, those are all really far fetched considering the nature of the noise you are describing.

I'd look more at pickups, the preamp in the bass, your instrument cable from the bass to your amp, and the amp itself. also at the house wiring (if it has changed)

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Issue with that is the 18X1 cab doesn't have that problem with the same amp, bass and chord.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    would the 18 have an xover in it stopping those frequencies to the driver? definitely doesn't sound like a cab issue though from the original description.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Speakers don't make noise, they convert an electrical signal into sound. No amp= no sound. If the sound you're hearing is a constant background noise even when you aren't playing the source is in the electrical part of the equation, either the amp or the bass. If the noise only occurs as distortion when you are playing it's possible that there is a blown component in the speaker, which you'd confirm by trying another speaker. You mention that it sounds like 60 cy. hum. 60 cycles is about the same frequency as the fundamental of the B note on your A string. Problems with a tweeter or crossover would be at the opposite end of the spectrum.

8. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hmm, maybe my description is a bit off. It sounds like a soloed single coil pickup, that kind of static sound. You think maybe it could be that 4X10 cab picks up some unpleasant sound from the bass that the 18inch cab doesn't? You think maybe it's dirty pots or the input jack? It does occur when I don't play, distortion isn't an issue at all.

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That's a high frequency noise and could indicate a variety of problems, including dirty connections. The tens work a good octave higher than the eighteen, so they will reproduce noise that the eighteen might not, or at the least make it more evident. If you don't have tweeters/crossover I'd be more inclined to think it is something in the bass/amp end of things. Dirty contacts on the speaker jacks can also lead to noise, but it's much more likely a problem on the amp input than output.

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I see, I'll try a different head then. The 4X10 definately has a tweeter, what influence could that have?

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You could have a damaged tweeter or crossover, or both, and that could be the source of the noise. If they're not the source of the noise the tweeter could be reproducing amp/bass noise that no eighteen would ever reveal as it rolls off at least two octaves below where the tweeter starts in. If you try another cab make sure it's an apples to apples comparison.

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge but a crossover is what?

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    On the Eden, its the device inside the cab that keeps the lows away from the tweeter.

Where necessary, crossovers also take the highs away from the speakers designed to better reproduce lower frequencies.

This is not the case on the Eden (or most bass cabs for that matter) because the 10's have a natural inductance which means the frequencies they produce don't go high enough to intefer with the frequencies produced by the tweeter.

14. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well thanks. I'll look into all of those. Last question, is there a way I could turn off the tweeter to see if that's the issue? Can I just disconnect it, or would that cause issues?

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If it doesn't have a switch or level control you can just put your ear up close to it and listen, at a low level, to see if it's putting out distorted tones that the tens are not. If so then you can open up the box and disconnect one of its leads and try again.

16. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i had a problem similar to this and i thought it was my goliath III. if you have an active bass try changing the batteries. :p

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have used both the bass and the cab together (is your Modulus active?) and can honestly say, I've never had any problems with noise from this setup. If is the passive J with barts , this is definitely dead quiet. If it is active, you will usually have low output or a distorted sound. I would check the bass first to see if it is shielded and/or grounded correctly. If not, this could cause your problem.

18. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Eden cabs aren't noisy. As everybody said, think there's something wrong with the pups or the electronics on your Modulus.

You can turn the tweeter off by turning it all the way down on the back of the speaker. Don't turn it off indefinately.

19. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The bass is passive. It's a recent problem so something definately went wrong. Could be the bass.