Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden 4x10 xlt vs SWR Goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Mar 29, 2005.

1. can anyone give me a comparison between the two, tone wise?

I will either be using an eden or a fender head...

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    When I A/B'd them I noticed that the SWR had a bit less oomph in the low mids compared to the Eden. So the SWR is a bit clearer and brighter or the Eden is more phat and meaty depending on your POV. Note that the differences aren't that extreme, you'd get a greater difference in tone comparing a 215 and either of those 410's or by comparing something like an EA or Accugroooooove to them.

In the end, I went with an Aguilar 410 which sounded like the best aspects of both blended together. To my ears. IMO. YMMV.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In no uncertain terms; Eden, or Shiva will destroy you.

4. is that destroy me in a good or a bad way? :rolleyes:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ask Munjibunga, he'll back me up on this.

6. So is that a yes or a no on the eden cab, and if yes, does anyone have an opinion between the xst and the xlt?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes. Big yes.

The response on the XLT has a hump around the low mids. They bloom out and cut through just about anything. The XST's have a flatter response, and are tuned a bit lower, but as a result of the flattened low-mid response, may seem tamer. Theoretically more hi-fi, or some such, but in a rock setting, it just means you need more overall volume to cut through, a opposed to the XLT, which just sorta cuts through of it's own accord.

Between the two, if I were doing rock (as I can see you are doing by the jumping and the screaming and the dreadlocks and 7 strings), I'd opt for the XLT. Heck, I had two of them for a while. Great cabs. Some of the best, period.

The XST's are a great cab, no doubt, but less rock, more roll.

8. Sweet, thanx Brendan

I think I'm gonna hunt down an xlt over here and I'm leaning towards the wt-550, so I'm sure the combination will be great!

Ps. actually I'm not the one with the dreads, we have 2 bassists together for most of our songs...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I caught that. I figured you were the short haired chap with the Warwick in the video. I was merely making an observation of the whole band (as you obviously don't play a 7 string guitar).

Actually, I've found that Ampeg heads sit rather well with Eden Cabs. Not a fan of "The Ampeg sound" as a whole, but paired with an Eden cab, they rock hard as a really hard thing (rock, steel, maybe titanium, I'm not sure, the results should be back any day now). If you track down the XLT, make sure to give it a whirl with an Ampeg head; you might be pleasantly surprised.

10. yeah, will do, I know where there's an svt3-Pro just waiting for the test...

thanx for the help!

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try to find a Gol III cab too; they sound very punchy. Eden is probabally better for rock, but try the SWR as well, you may like it. Do not try the SWR with an Eden head, it doesn't work well, I've tried it.

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i had a goliath 3 and loved it. i would say swr is more focused where eden has a bit more low end. both sound amazing for slap bass. i prefered swr for tapping and eden had a better groove bass tone to my ears due to more smooth lows. i have never owned eden gear so i never tried it in band situation but have played the amps in stores several times. im sure if i tried eden stuff in a band situation my opinions could differ. pick the one that fits YOUR taste. :bassist:

13. I thought the Goliath had more highs, less lows compared to the Eden. The Eden cab seemed heavier. I liked the Eden tweeter better, didn't seem as harsh. The goliath is almost too bright for my taste, and I like lots of highs for slap/pop. But that could be due to my bass, if your bass is darker, you might need the extra oomph on top the Goliath provides.

Sorry dude, gotta try them with your bass, preferably with your amp, preferably on a gig to know for sure.

At least have to try one, then you'll have some idea what the other sounds like from the comments here.

Randy

14. I'd really Like to try both 4x10 cabs with their matching 1x15 or 1x18 cabs cause thats where I'd like to go in the future with my rig, so I guess I should give the full stack a listen and see which one I like better and then work my way towards that...