1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden 500 highwayman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Mar 21, 2009.

1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I'm considering buying this amp from an private owner. (Eden 500 highwayman). I haven't seen it or heard it. But he said there's a slight hum that you can hear. Is this normal or what might be the problem? He wants $450. Is this worth it.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    WT-500? That's the same pre-amp as the WT-400 (my favorite amplifier of all time) with stereo 250 WRMS power amps. You can run it in dual mono or bi-amp with a 4 ohm load on each side, or run it bridged into an 8 ohm load. Great amp.

Hum? Could be fan noise as early Edens had some noisy fans. It's an easy fix, as I understand all you do is turn the fan around and it reduces the noise. Or is the hum the physical vibration of the transformer? I wouldn't worry about that one unless you're recording and the mic is close to the amp. Or, it could be hum that comes through the speakers. That's have to be checked out as my three Eden WT- series amps don't/didn't have any marked electronic noises.

The amp has a 12AX7 tube in the pre-amp, and that could be the source of noise, so it might be just as simple as putting a new tube in it. "Simple" is a bit of an exageration, as these amps have a lot of little screws (three different sizes too) that need to come out so you can access the tube. But you can buy a new 12AX7 for around $10 I think still.

jte

3. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    So is that a yes but iy at 450? Good price , ok price. I know Eden's are good amps. And thanks.

4. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Since the WT500 has been discontinued for a while you can get pretty good deals on them. $450 is about what they are going for on eBay. You could probably offer $400-425 for an amp with potential issues.

I'd grab one or a WT600, but they can't run bridge mono at 4 ohms.

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'd spend $100-200 more and just get a WT550 with no problems on eBay.

6. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Good point. But maybe he doesn't do the evilBay.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    highway man amp is the main eden amp i've played. they are at many of the older hourly studio's by me and i've never had a bad experience with them.

8. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I owned a WT600 and loved it. Only sold it due to financial distress.

9. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks. I'll check ebay. But even there you don't get a chance to try it out. This is 5 miles from home. That's a plus for satisfaction I guess. Thanks for all the input. Be blessed!

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    just won a WT550B, 2007, from a pawn shop auction. Sorta nervous for that but I place a, what I thought was a too low bid, woke up next day and I'd won it. Now this was about $200 less than what I'd seen them on Eden classified site and here or local craigslist. It came in a couple days, wrapped up very nicely and looked brand new. They had no paperwork or manual but that's readily availble on the Eden site. I had just bought a couple used XLT cabs locally and wanted to try a Eden head with them.

I really wanted a Markbass as my small amp but all my cabs are 4 ohms and almost always use 2 cabs to gig. All my other amps do 2 ohms, the 550b does as well. I used it last nite first time with 2 cabs, 410XLT/210XLT with Peavey Cirrus 5er and I really dug the tone, drummer even said he liked the new tone I was using. I said I think its these Eden cabs and head. I'd been using the Eden cabs w/GBE750 and I really like that tone, cause I know how to tweak that amp already.

Still getting used to the 550B but it's working pretty nicely. Not as lite as a Markbass amp woulda been but you go with what you need and I'm happy so far. And its' still small enough to leave in my ride as my backup amp. I used to lug my B1500 as backup to GBE750, or vice versa, no mas. I thing the B1500 may be gone soon, just won't need it.

11. The highway man 500 is an amazing deal at that price. As for the hum, try to dial down the mids and see if that helps.

12. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I tried out the amp. It seems like the hum is in the preamp. When you set the preamp and tune the master up it's not effected much if any. But leave the master and turn up the pre, the hum gets louder. Should I expect to have to put this in the shop for repairs or is this possibly an easy fix. For $450 how many of you would buy this anyway?

13. Sounds like the hum is coming from the tube to me.

14. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I hope you're right. Would like to hear from others as well if possible.

15. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Offer him $400 and tell him you're making that offer for the time and trouble of replacing the tube.

16. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 to buckminster's replies. i sold mine for 450 and it worked fine. also, i agree with eminator3rd. id get the 550, and i've owned both at one point.

17. buftfan

buftfan Commercial User

Mar 1, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    Owner, Kohlman Bassworks
    I have a WT500 with the same noise problem. Still works and sounds great but the hum is louder than it should be. I also have a problem running a slave amp out of the headphone jack. I used the stereo 1/4 jack that is required but the noise from the headphone jack as a preamp out is off-the-charts noisy. I've heard that the preamp resisitor array ((4) 5w resistors on the preamp board) sometimes needs resoldering and I tried that. But no luck. I am assuming that the two problems are related, especially when looking at the layout on the schematics. Heading to a repair shop in the next week or so. Just picked up an E300T so I'll be playing all tubes for the next few weeks.

18. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    My experience with the early WT units is that they produce an unexpected amount of hiss at idle, even with the master turned completely off. There's not much that can be done about this except re-engineering the gain staging inside the amp (which I've done, to a great improvement, but is rather complicated and not for the inexperienced).

Hum, however, may be able to reduced significantly by simply rotating the toroidal power transformer. Just move it a bit in each direction and note the changes in hum, then fasten in the minimum position.

19. buftfan

buftfan Commercial User

Mar 1, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    Owner, Kohlman Bassworks
    Interesting. I will try that. What would cause the change in hum by rotating the Toroid? Is this from the nuances associated with the windings around a coil? Or something more specific? I am curious now. Thanks for your insight.

-Chris

20. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not sure of the technical nuances, but rotating the toroid seems to change the orientation of the electro-magnetic field. From what I gather, certain positions tend to null with the hum-susceptible parts in the preamp. You might also see an improvement by moving some of the internal cabling around, again leaving things where the hum is minimized. None of this will have much, if any, impact on the hiss....