eden 500 or 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockFiend, Feb 10, 2002.

1. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I'm having a Highwayman 500 with a 4x10XLT ordered into my local store, but I'm allowed to wain purchase if I like and he'll just sell it likewise, so I"m wondering, I'm in a band with guitarists that both have full 100 watt stack double stacks, I need power and I"m wondering if the 600 has that much more kick thats its worth the extra $, or is it just a minor stepping stone to the 800 and i shouldnt bother unless im goin all the way???? which im not so just tell me if the 600 is worth it over the 500??
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'd say no. However, how "nasty" do those gu*tarists' stacks get, and how loud do they have them. If the're all tube, likely you with a 410 and anything will have trouble competing. You might want the 500 and TWO 4x10XLT's to compete with that. However, if they are conservative, you can be too and just go with the 1 410 and the 500.
  3. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

If you are getting an 8 ohm 410XLT and are planning on using the head in bridge mono, then I would go with the WT600. 100 watts isn't gonna really be any louder, but it will give you just a tad bit more headroom for those lower notes and for slapping and they will sound a bit smoother. However, if you are planning on adding another 8 ohm cab later on, get the WT800. I've had the Roadrunner, and I had to step up to the bigger head to get the volume I needed to play in a rock band running the head at 8 ohms/per channel.

Now if you want to be really confused, I currently use my 800 for rehearsal (I leave it there) and for my main rig I use the Eden Navigator preamp with a Crest LT1000 power amp. This setup TOTALLY smokes the 800 and was CHEAPER. Actually, I had an older Crest amp to start with that was 375 watts per channel @ 4 ohms and IT smoked the WT800. I wonder how Eden tests/rates their power sections...hmmm..;)