Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 550 and 400: Different sounding? Oh, yeah.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I just got back from my local Eden dealer with a new WT-550 under my arm. I had the chance to A/B it side by side with a WT-400 thru a D210T and a D210XLT. I set the controls identically on both heads and alternately plugged them in and listened. The dealer told me they sounded identical, just with more power in the 550. I said, "If that is so, it won't take but a couple of minutes to find out." In fact, I have had more than one dealer say they sound the same. Well sir, it only took a couple of minutes to find out that they DON'T sound identical. The 400 has a higher treble content than the 550. I had to back off my passive tone control a good bit to lessen the sound of the strings hitting the frets. There was a slightly snarly sound to the strings as compared to the 550. Some might call this growl, but to me it sounded twangy. The 550 by contrast is deeper, clearer, with less hash, and controlled the lowest notes with authority. This control could be the higher power kicking in. I'm not sure if that is the whole story, though. The degree of control and effortless sound was present at all frequencies with the 550. Now, it might be possible to get the 400 to sound like the 550 with the proper EQ. I basically had the controls set flat with just a bit of boost in the low and mid bass. The enhance control was set at 12 O'clock. To this tone junky, there was only one choice: the WT-550!

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats on the new amp... I am in the market for finding a good 400 or 500 watt amp to power the two Aguilar GS-112's I have...what did the Eden cost ya?

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    wow, thats pretty scooped. i never run it past 9

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Although I have never compared those two amps, I did compare a WT800 and a Traveller 400. At one time I owned the 800 plus two 2X10 XLT's. I have to be honest, even though they supposedly shared the same preamp, the differences greatly outweighed the similarities. The funny thing is, I prefered the tone of the 400 much better with those cabinets. Also AJ, having recently owned two GS-112's, I think the Eden would be a very good match for the Aggies. The Aggie bottom needs the very good mid control the Eden has to really get the most out of them. Just be sure to put as much power as you can afford to them.

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    AJ, I paid $975 for it. I could have gotten it for less by mail order, but I feel that paying for the value of actually getting to hear both heads is reasonable . The mail order dudes were also telling me that they both sounded the same.
    Narud, it will take me a while to get the EQing under my belt. I play fingerstyle with TI Flats and the Enhance at 12 o'clock sounded best to me. It might be different in a band situation.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i currently own both the 800 and 400 and to my ears they sound identical.