Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 8 oh 210XLT, rewire to 4 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The title pretty much sums up the question. At the moment, I am pissed, and lazy....I am thinking of offing the stadium rig I have, going to a smaller WT head, and hopefully use my current 210 as an only cab. Only problem is, as a standalone, it will only be 8 ohms, using only half of whatever amp I gets power.

Not sure of individual speaker impedance, but I am sure someone here does. Is it possible to rewire this cab to 4 ohms? If so, how would one do so?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The only drivers that can achieve an 8 ohm rating when using only two drivers would be 4 or 16 ohm drivers. There isn't any way I know of that you could make them into a 4 ohm load unless you change drivers. Check out the following link to help understand how parallel and series wiring affects impedance Speaker Wiring Info

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Tim it's more like a 30% drop in power than a 50% drop. It's not usually a big deal, especially with an efficient cab like an Eden 210xlt.

Having said that I've never liked my 210xlt as a standalone. It gets loud enough but it feels like it's struggling and the tone is a bit thin at gig volume.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've been using the 210 by itself lately, and am plenty happy with it. But, I have been driving it with 1200 watts.....well, 1200 with the master on about 2 of 10. I just wanted to get some headroom, if I get a WT-400, at 8 ohms I won't have much.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Must be a fairly quiet band. Lucky you.

In that case it might be worth your while leaving the cab at 8 ohms getting a slightly more powerful head. Maybe a WT600 running bridged at 600w at 8 ohms.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Eh, I wouldn't say quiet....but I have definitely played with louder!

Here's my rationale for selling. I am pissed because I had some interest from an area band that is good enough, and is currently playing enough good clubs to where all the guys do it for their living, as I was hoping as well. After a couple weeks of getting jerked around, I am finally told the current bass player changed his mind about leaving. Sheesh, I could of at least got an audition before losing it lol.

My current band plays (PS, 3 piece) out once, maybe twice a month if we are lucky. All I bring, as of the last 3-4 gigs is my 210xlt, and my way overpowered pre/power setup. My 410xlt sits at home in the way, and I only use maybe 15% of my current head setups power.

By getting rid of the crap I don't really need or use, I can carry a lighter load, and also have funds to cure current GAS pains........I want a motorcycle :D

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm selling my motorcycle. Pitty you're on the other side of the world. I've had one accident too many. And I honestly don't know how I bounced off the last car that hit me without any injuries. It was a good hit too.......

Be careful OK.

8. maas

maas

Jun 5, 2003
    sydney, australia
    wow,

another sydney bass player who used to ride a motorbike and plays through an eden cab, except mine is a 410xst. i had the twilight zone music happening there at one stage.

9. Without buying a new pair of drivers from Eden, there is no way to change your cabinet to 4 ohms.

The perceived loudness difference is only 3dB anyway, which is very slight.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    NOt even. 3dB is the result of doubling your wattage. Increasing it by a mere 30% is probably only going to give an extra 1.5dB or so. All it amounts to is a bit of extra headroom but we've already got that covered here.