EDEN - All Tube Head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Anybody already tried the new (I think it came out just recently) Eden - All Tube Head VT300 ?? 300 watts...
    Just saw it in a german online store. It's expensive... More expensive than the Mesa 400+.
    I wonder if it's really worth the money, i have never tried an Eden. Just heard the sound of Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Iced Earth..)
    who was playing a Fretless (i don't know it, but I think it's custom) through an Eden and liked the tone.

so, anybody tried this all tube?

2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Haven't tried it myself, but it's been out for at least 6-8 years, if not more, by now. You'll find a bunch of posts on it using the Search function.
  3. oh.. then sorry for the unnecessary thread...

i thought it just came out, because it was on a german online shop just recently added to the other Eden things.
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah it's not that new. From my understanding it's only available in europe though. As for the price, The Mesa 400+ is actually really inexpensive for an all tube head. Most all tube gear is extremely expensive.
  5. I've read that it has serious reliability issues. Was considering getting one untill I heard just one too many horror stories about them.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, here's hoping that such stories are overblown, as I just bought one off ebay! ;)

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...damn Tom, there you go again!...

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tom, You don't have to worry about reliability, you can always use one of your 16 back up heads!!!!! :D
  9. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Where did you hear Di Giorgio. The only place i have ever seen him use an Eden amp is live with Testament even then it was a WT-800 not the VT-300. I have tried this amp and was not overly impressed. Sadly most the Eden amps you hear will be of the hybrid variety, that is with a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. Very few people use this amp. If you wanna go all tube i would recommend either the Mesa 400+ or an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro or Classic. I have an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro just not my sound i use my WT-550 much much more. I love Eden but the VT-300 did nothing for me.
  10. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I think MUCH more highly of this amp than Pick -- of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine's just different.

If you could compare it to anything out there, perhaps the closest approximation would be a Trace V6 or maybe the Aguilar (but I don't have any experience with that fab box). The TE uses KT88s, which are somewhat different in tone, plus the preamp section is much different, but all that said, they both have a kind of cleanliness, and purity that is uncommon in tube bass amps yet can't really be reproduced in solid state (IMO). Tube amps have warmth up the wazoo -- esp. Ampeg and Mesa. But the Eden and the Trace seem a little more into the hi-fi side (although that's probably not the right word).

I think the TE is a little more "authoritative" than the Eden -- and perhaps that's what Pick was referring to. The V6 can "drive" like a mutha. I've never driven the Eden into overdrive, so I can't really vouch for it's heavy rock tone. But as clean, rich, gorgeous tube amps, I love 'em both!

Oh, yeah. I don't like the rack form factor. I prefer a more traditional head. But that's my little quirk.

To be clear: I'm a Trace V6 owner, user, enthusiast.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for the post! What you are saying fits closely with my hopes/expectations. I am intrigued by the idea that you can adjust the damping factor on the Eden, and hopefully this can tighten up some of the low end.

Lane Baldwin sent me the manual, and you can adjust the bias on the VT300 to accept 6550's or EL34's, so I am hopeful that I could use KT-88's, if I wanted to.

And, for the record, I am still on the prowl for a TE Valve series head, or a V8! :D

12. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You betcha.

Good luck. I believe the VT300 is made by Koch for Eden -- and they certainly have a good rep in the guitar circles.

I'm curious about the bias thing. If it can be biased for EL34s as well as 6550s, then it might be able to be biased for 6L6s and KT66s too???

Woo hoo-- heavy metal Marshall tones. Gonna blow up some eardrums. Lower power but fab-gear overdrive. Paired with a couple of 12" big-assed cabs -- Watch out Jack Bruce (a-la Cream).

It should be interesting.