Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden amp bag?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Aug 18, 2003.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi,
    Sorry to post again about this but I just wanted to check in one last time before I place my order to see if anyone had a final recommendation for a case/bag to carry and protect an Eden WT series amp.

My basic question is: Is there any such thing as a "mini rackmount" case out there to fit this type of amp?? At 12" x 12" x 3.5" I really hate to carry some huge bulky case, and I really don't have any plans to add more units to the rack...so here's what I've found in the "smaller" department:

Pro Tec 3-space rackmount bag
    Gator 3-space shallow rackmount case

I know people like the Odysseys and all but those things weigh something like 16 lbs...nearly as much as the amp. I don't know if anyone has used the Pro Tec but it only weight 7.5 lbs, so that sounds more reasonable. I also know some people just use PlayStation bags and all but I thought it would be easier to just get something that kept the amp protected full time in a rackmount.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    You didn't say which model you have. All Edens come with rack ears but I think some are deeper than others.

I used to have an Eden WT-500 that I kept in a ProTec 3 space bag. The 500 fit nicely but the bag was too shallow to keep the cables connected and zip the access flaps shut. Overall a nice bag.

Now I have a WT-400 that I keep in a Rok Sak Gizmo bag. I still have the same problem with cables but the bag is much cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Some people keep their WT-400 in a computer laptop bag.

You might want to check out SKB shallow rack cases.

Edit: Added info on SKB case.

3. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry...it's an Eden WT-550, and I wasn't sure whether the cables would fit in the back or not. The Eden is 12" deep and I believe the Pro Tec is 14". In any case, my speaker cables are only 3' in length so they certainly wouldn't take up too much space, but I also imagine you could just tuck them into the open space in the rack?

4. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    When I had the WT-500 I was using Monster speaker cable with banana plugs. I never tried wrapping the cable but I wonder if there would have been extra stress on the connection. The ProTec was a good bag but things were cramped.

Bring your amp and speaker cable to try the case out. If you're getting the case online, make sure you can return it if things don't fit.

I hope this helps.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use the Eden bag. It rules. Really heavy padding, and it's got a compartment on the top for power cord and one on the front for speaker and instrument cords. I'd see if Gard can get one for you. He got one for me.

7. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    The Eden bags appear to just be a simple padded bag. Wouldn't a rack bag provide a lot more protection??

My only other thought (and this is just out of personal convenience), was that it would be much easier to just unzip both ends of a rack bag to get access to the amp. Easier, and also, it doesn't expose the amp to damage as it's always safely mounted and not being taken out of a bag all the time.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I thought about all that too. Ain't never seen nothin' like that, 'ceptin' those big ol' rack bags. It's no big deal to pop that thing out of the bag, and it looks SO cute sitting so jauntily up there on top of that D-410XLT.

9. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    In addition to what Munji says, I think the amp will run cooler outside of any rack. Besides, the cuteness factor has to count for something! :p