1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden amp loud pop question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Col Pruse, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    So I have an Eden 400 head and the eden 210 cabinet. Lately, I guess for the last 2 or 3 months, most of the time after turning the amp on, a loud pop comes out of the speakers. Not right after turning it on, usually after it warms up a bit. And it's loud too, makes me jump every time. Sounds fine still.

I also use the 400 head with my buddies Ampeg 15 cab and never noticed a pop. Seemed like there was some sort of surge once but no pop.

Anybody have any experience with this?

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The cause is often bad solder joints on the large power resistors on the preamp board. They get quite hot and cause the joints to fail over time.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    The first thing I'd check would be the tube. Then a good cleaning. Hope this helps.

4. before you turn the amp on, make sure the volume is set to zero and everything else is connected and turned on... before you turn it off, make sure the volume is set to zero and don't turn anything else off beforehand...

before you make any other changes such as swapping basses, or hooking up any other effect, TURN the VOLUME to zero... ALWAYS...

basic amp/speaker safety precaution :)

if you still get loud pops with the volume set to zero, then you have a problem...

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    My Nemesis NA650 pops every time I turn it on, even with the volume all the way down and the mute button depressed. Guyz on the Eden Forums say its normal. Now the OP's problem is a bit different and possibly more problematic. I only mention my experience because the 'keep the volume at zero' theory desn't always work.

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I was about to make a new thread on this, but ill use this one.

I have the same problem with my Trace Elliot series 6 Combo, i love it to death, but it makes this loud pop when I start it up with both volume controlls at Zero. it is no problem for me realy, but if its anything bad in the amp, so that I should get some pro's to look over it, I would like to know..

7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    how old is your tube?

edit: nm, didn't see it was a zombie thread :p

8. I believe some of the edens have a function that mutes the amp at power up and then "fades" it up (to prevent these popping type sounds) it could be that yours is not working properly if your amp even has this feature?

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Correct. The tube preamp needs a warmup period so the tube gets the voltage built up. Then the power amp gets connected. You can hear the little solenoid click inside once it's warmed up. Abotu 15 seconds is all it needs.

As for the huge pop at shutdown, I'll have to go double-check but I believe someone mentioned that the actual power switch itself is to blame for the really distracting pop.

But like for all kinds of amps, turn your master volume down, then shut it off. I do that for my bass rig, my PA rig, my home stereo, even my brother does that for his guitar rig.

10. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I bumped it in regards to my question, as i know how angry you people get when a new thread is posted...

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It is quite normal for an amp to exhibit some instability when first being turned on or being turned off. The reason for the timed delay (relay click) is to prevent this instability from reaching the speakers and also to allow time for the protection circuit to check that the amp is functioning properly. Although just about every stereo power amp I have seen in the last 20-30 years have this turn on delay, I have seen a lot of bass specific amps that do not.

Paul

12. wtf747

wtf747

Jan 18, 2012
    I just recently purchased a used Eden 41o combo with 2 10s and a horn. It sounds good except if you add too much low one of the 10s rattles really bad. Im fairly new at getting the right sound. Im not sure if something needs to be done to the amp, but I expected a lot more than I am getting out of it. Any suggestions?