Eden, Ampeg, Mesa????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by progplayer, Dec 11, 2001.

1. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well it seems I'm getting mixed signals for comments on a new head. These are the final choices:

Eden WT-400 or WT-500
    Ampeg SVT-3pro
    Mesa m-pulse 360

what i'm looking for is enough headroom to clear an acoustic guitar and drums. i don't need to be blasting. also tone wise i want a more warm natural sound instead of my SWR which is good but its not doing my pentabuzz justice in a way. please offer suggestions, thanks!
  2. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    either Eden or Mesa.

i was majorly dissapointed in the svt3pro. it was so quite to me... and if youre looking for headroom... id steer clear, just my opinion of course. good tone, but .... didnt impress me much.

if i had to choose between eden and mesa .... id probably go with the mesa.
  3. I like em all, but my current rig is ampeg. I'd rather have a Mesa Boogie seat though...
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Of the ones you've listed, the WT500 would be the class of the field.
  5. fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.

Pay the extra coin and get the WT800 - you will not be disappointed. 400 watts per side 800 bridge-mono into 8 ohms. The tone is clean and you get a good sound without over eqing it. (Is that a word???)
    If you like the tube sound Mesa Boogie 400+ is a killer amp. Heavy as can be - but great tone.
    You will not go wrong with the WT800.

Good luck
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I prefer the SVT-3. Ask the store you are shopping at to let you borrow it for a little bit, and see if it'll be loud enough. I think the SVT-3 has the best tone out of pretty much any head; its just that most people find it too underpowered to use. My second choice would be the Mesa M Pulse.
  7. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I wish I could afford a WT-800 or actually a Aguilar 750! But I can not. :(

My budget is $1,000 (only getting $500 on my SWR 900 but I'm trying to sell it to someone for $800). With Xmas coming and all I am strapped on cash AN NO can not use credit card:mad:

so my options are very limited. The Eden WT 400 is in stock at this store here and I might be able to get it for $840. They can order me a WT 500 for about $990. Even that's pushing it...

I don't like that Ampeg SVT-3pro, nah doesn't cut it tone wise. And that new Mesa is pretty good but Eden seems more of a better company????

Like I said before, 400watts "sounds" plenty to me for the band I am in now. Its just an acoustic guitarist and a drummer. The guitarist uses a Trace Elliot amp that is only 150w. Drummer, well he can be a pain, slammin those cymbals and crackin that snare (ouch).

But in all honesty, you guys feel that the WT-400 isn't good? or just won't cut it volume wise...thanks

ps - i would like to use both cabs i have. both are 8ohms. goliath iii 4x10 and a 1x15. can the WT-400 be used in this fashion?
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Of those, I'd clearly take the Eden. I For my tastes, it's tonally the class of the bunch (though as always tastes vary). Yes, you can use it into two 8 ohm cabs as you describe. The WT400 puts out 400 W into a 4 ohm, which is what those two cabs would add up to. The Goliath is a fairly efficient cab, as I recall, so I don't think you'd have a problem being heard in the setup you describe.

I have a WT400 and an Acme Low B-2, which is *much* less efficient than either of your cabs. My combination is fine for jazzy/plugged-in-acoustic gigs but wouldn't be for a loud rock band. It sounds to me as if the WT400 would work fine in your setting. If you try it and it isn't, you probably won't take too bad a hit on the resale.
  9. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    how come the eden site does not tell you the power rating at 8ohms for the wt-400? or if its stereo or why its not, etc...

what if i ran two 8 ohm cabs? :confused:
  10. Well, the Eden site isn't the flashiest for sure but the only info you mention not provided is the power into 8 ohms. You can always call Eden and ask.

They don't tell you if it's stereo or not because it isn't. 'Nuff said.

If you can stand waiting get the WT-500. If not, the WT-400 should be able to do the job. I run a WT-300 into an SWR 8x8 and I have no problems making my presence known!
  11. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    The sales man (who is a fretless bass player AND has recorded with national acts and toured Europe with his WT-400) told me something. He told me that he is not trying to persuade me to purchase the WT-400 but he is telling me his opinion as a bassist NOT as a sales man. Shall I believe him? Haha. Well this is what he told me in his exact words over the phone,

“We can order you the WT-500 no prob, takes about 3 – 4 weeks tops. $1000. Yeah it might be more volume but in all honesty you should go with the WT-800 or WT-400. The 500 and 600 are actually two amps so you do not get as much headroom and you have to bridge them anyway. There are drawbacks to that. In the situation you describe you will not have problems with volume. If you played in a heavy metal band you will not be heard with the WT-400. The WT-800 is like two 400’s, its got a pair of 12ax’s Trust me man, I have been there.”

Well? It is a nice sounding amp for sure. I might just go for it. I love how small it is…
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Didn't I say in my post that you'd be fine with two 8 ohm cabs?

As for the stereo thing, with bass heads,as with guitar amps, you can always assume that it's mono unless they tell you it's not. Few if any mfrs would make a point of saying a head *isn't* stereo.
  13. Sounds to me that he wants his commission check now instead of after Christmas! :D

Is this Daddy's or GC that you are dealing with?
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think the salesguy is right, but I would amend his explanation slightly. First, you only get another 100 W out of the 500 under the best of circumstances, which is not a big difference. Second, to get the whole 500 W out of the head, you have to either (1) run each side into a 4 (NOT 8) ohm load or (2) bridge the amp into an 8 ohm load. So with your two 8 ohm cabs, you'd have to either (1) run each side of the 500 into one cab *but not get full power* or (2) bridge the amp but use only *one* 8 ohm cab, which would negate the value of squeezing out a few extra watts.

I'd say get the 400 or the 800. Or get the Navigator preamp and a light power amp.
  15. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    actually this store is a private store. I don't deal with GC at all, NEVER. Daddy's is a joke but sometimes u find a gem...

This place is the place where luthiers work, they build guitars there, its where i set up my bass if need be, they carry high end gear, etc... its not a chain. Its just almost 2hrs away from me.

Well i'm kind of leaning towards that WT-400 now. Hmmmm
  16. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My vote is the WT-500. I have had mine for two years and use it, bridged, with a 410XLT and it is the most flexible rig I have ever had. The WT-500 does have two limitations. In stereo its only 250w per side and in bridged mode it is limited to 8 ohms. But I don't like to carry two cabs (and I think stereo in bass is dumb) and the WT500/410XLT covers all the bases the rooms I play in.
    If you want warm tone with the best EQ system out there get the WT-500.As for comparison to the WT-400...well 100 watts doesn't get you much volume but it does get you extra headroom.
  17. Trade your SM-900 and the Bertha towards the WT-500. Run the WT-500 bridged into your Goliath.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Eden manual for the WT800 says that each channel is 240 watts into 8 ohms, or 60% of what it would deliver into 4 ohms. That seems more likely than the 275 you quote above. When I recently called Eden and posed this question, the woman who answered the phone told me the WT400 delivered 200 watts into 8 ohms, which I doubt.
  19. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Waited too long, they sold the two WT-400's this past week. Sold out. Man... He has another one coming but not sure when it will arrive. I guess these amps are hard to get? who knows.

He actually said, "Well how about the WT-800? Its $1500 but you'll never buy another amp..." heheh yeah right. I wish I could afford that. Oh well, beggers can not be choosers right?

But its funny the salesman just explained to me the same things you guys did on this thread. I can respect his honesty I think... He also concurs that I should either trade in the SWR 900 and Son of Bertha for the WT-800 OR keep both of my cabs and get the WT-400. Either way I should have the volume I want.

Now if only money grew on trees....:rolleyes: