Eden amps and voltage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingustoo, Aug 30, 2003.

1. I live in Taiwan, but will be playing in Canada and Seattle the next couple of months. I hope to find a nice-priced Eden 400or 500 watt head or preamp while there. In Taiwan, the voltage is rated as 110v ( I heard it fluctuates 100v-120v) will this hurt the performance of this or other amps?
    ---While Im at it--
    Rarely can I find a three-prong-ready outlet over here. Is there anything I need to do to insure I don't become the ground? (everyone just breaks off the third prong) We played (stupidly, I know; but it was a fantastic show) outside during a typhoon this spring and I have been thinking about electricity ever since. Milk's World Liberation Tour
  2. This issue comes up occassionally in my day job, we have plants all over the world. It's confusing because some countries or even individual power companies call 110 volts as "nominal", other places call 115 volts "nominal"...at work we run into motors that have a nameplate voltage of 440 or 460 or 480.

Basically, if the equipment is rated for 110, it should handle anything from 100 volts to 125 volts, no problem. I would be worried about low voltages--below 95 (say you've got a whole stage full of gear plugged into a 16 gauge extension cord....)--rather than a slightly high voltage of say 128 (here in my house it hits 126 to 128 sometimes). I use a Furman power conditioner that has a voltage indicator to alert me if the voltage is out of limits.

As far as getting zapped: put a grounded cord back on if you've snipped the third prong (use an adapter if you have to plug into a two-prong, but leave the third prong there and use it if you can.) Also, make it a habit to avoid toughing other equipment--mics, other peoples amps, other people's guitars--while you've got your hand on anything metallic on your bass. The strings, metal knobs, and bridge are all grounded, so if the other equipment is hot, ZAP. To avoid the old "lips-meet-microphone" zap, you can either isolate your bass from your amp's chassis ground by using a wireless, or (simpler) put a foam windscreen on the mic.
  3. thankyou very much! You pretty much described the situation here when you referred to everything on stage plugged in to one wall socket. I wouldnt be surprised if the whole country was connected by extension cords to 'one' outlet on the outside of a nuclear power plant.Milks World Liberation Tour