Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Amps, here is a story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDude24, Jun 27, 2001.

1. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I don't know if anybody noticed, but I posted a cry for help on here the other day, because I blew out my speakers, and I needed something to practice with this week due to the fact that we have a gig this coming saturday.

To make a long story short, I got a hold of an amp because a neighbor of mine has a garage band (basement band) as well, and he let me borrow his bass players Eden stack behind this dudes back.

So, this thing has a model 800 head, a 4x10 with a horn, and an 18.

If anybody has any opinions on the unit let me know, I had personally never heard of the brand before I saw this thing, and neither had any of the other members of my band.

The unit sounds good now, but it took me a good two hours to dial the damn thing in right. I mean, I want something that I like the tone of right out of the box, then all I have to do is mess with it to get it just right, but even the bass player that ownes the thing has a hard time getting it to sound the way he likes it so...

let me know what you think

2. I just got my Eden WT-800 and I play it through 2 D-210XLT's in stereo with Line6 Delay and Modulation Modelers for stereo effects.

It sounded incredible when I jammed with it last Saturday. For the most part, I kept all the EQ flat and dialed up the Enhance knob to about 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I've never heard my bass sound so good and the only bass that I've ever played that sounded better was a MTD with lightwaves being played through a high-end EBS cab at NAMM.

This was with my Hanewinckel Reactor 7-string with Bartolini pickups. ( http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/images/instruments-8.html )

I have no idea why you didn't get a killer sound out of that rig. Mine sounded kick-ass with just a couple of 2x10's. That's with the EQ flat. What kind of bass did you play with it?

- Dave

3. Eden gear is pretty well known as pretty good sounding gear, and is one of the more popular high-end makers. I've owned several Eden amps and cabs, never had a problem getting them to sound good.

The secret, I think, is to start with the EQ pretty much flat--it's very powerful, and the 4-band semi-parametric mid stuff in particular can get out of control pretty quickly if you let it. Start with "Enhance" control down to 0, too, then turn it up about halfway and see if you like what it does. (It sort of scoops out the mids, which is not to everyone's taste).

If he had a WT800, an 4x10 and an 18, he was probably biamping, which I don't really like doing myself. Here's the way I would handle that, though: Start with the crossover set to as low a frequency as it will go--that will send a fairly full-range signal to the 4x10, which ought to generally be able to handle it. Slowly turn the crossover frequency up until you're getting as much fullness as you want from the 18. You might also change it from "Bi-amp" to "Stereo" mode too, which will send the full signal to both speakers, and you can just use the Balance control to pan between them. You might like the sound of that better.

Good luck.

Mike

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That neighbor lending you someone else's amp without his permission is totally messed up.

Who's responsible if you blow something?

5. Amen. I think that Eden gear is some of the most over-rated and over-priced stuff on the market. This is probably how more people would feel if the Eden "reputation" was not so pervasive in the bass community.

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    That's exactly what I do. Any bass I plug in sounds good that way.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah really!!! I would be pretty peeed off two, if someone lent my 2000 dollar rig to someone without my permission!!! :eek:

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hard to imagine the scenario you describe. What were you guys smokin'? That rig sounds killer with everything set flat. If you didn't find that to be the case, there's something wrong with the rig or your ears.

BTW, borrowing somebody else's gear without their knowledge is just plain wrong. You'll discover that when it happens to you. And it will. Oh yes, it will.

9. Is this based on your experience? I tried an Eden WT-600 side-by-side with an SWR SM-900 and the Eden blew it away even with the EQ flat. Reputations are earned. I don't think there are many people who would say that Edens are great just because they are expensive. They are great because they sound great and are built solid. One or two people who say that something or someone is over-rated means jack-squat to me.

I have tried out and heard numerous high-end systems and have found Eden to be the best for my needs. The guy who builds my basses uses practically the same rig I have and that's what I tried them out on in the first place.

If you want an overdriven grunge sound or something then you're probably not going to want an Eden. Edens are great if you have a good instrument and you want that instrument's sound to really come through.

- Dave

10. I totally agree. I had two 4-ohm cabinets that I used for different situations. My guitarist let some other bass player use them and the jackass wired them up in parallel. I think my head had a 4-ohm minimum load and this guy was running the output at 2-ohms. He could have destroyed my amp. I was so thoroughly pissed at the guitarist for letting him use it without my permission that it contributed to me quitting the band shortly thereafter.

People should respect other people's gear. That means don't let anyone else use it without their permission and don't use someone else's gear unless you have been given permission.

- Dave

11. Yes. I have spent a good amount of time with Eden amps and never been able to get a sound I liked. SWR is even worse. I'd rather play Peavey than Eden or SWR. But that's just me... I do think they are over-rated, but I don't expect anyone to change their minds based on my opinion.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Correctomundo, bullseye! I totally agree, Dave. That's been my experience, for sure. I use the WT400 (with either D210XLT alone or stacked on a D115XL) for small to medium rooms and break out the WT800 with a D410XLT and either the 210 or 15 for larger rooms. Best bass rigs I've run across and I've tried a LOT!

13. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I really appreciate all of the feedback.

As far as using the thing without the dudes permission, I have since talked to him and we have a deal going. I let him use a Fender amp of mine once for about two months no questions asked, so he owed me, and agreed that it was cool.

But as far as the dialing in goes, I wasn't smoking anything, but it sounded like crap. I got a really weird distortion and my bass either sounded like a bass that Alvin and the Chipmunks bass player would use, or it would sound like a Honda Civic that some inner city kid had gotten a hold of and it would rock all of the stuff off the walls in my house.

As far as how it sounds now however, it is great, I have played through few other amps that I liked more, exept for an Ampeg SVT4-PRO going to the Victor Wooten signature series Ampeg PR-1832HE.

Keep the disscussion going, and let me know how some of you guys have yours set up and I will try it out.

14. Your input level probably wasn't set correctly. The little green light by the input level should only 'wink' on with your loudest peaks. It shouldn't be on continuously.

- Dave

15. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn !!! I WOULD SEVERLY KICK A MELON SIZED DENT IN SOMEBODYS ASS IF THEY LOANED OUT MY RIG.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did the same as Dave and tried every amp/cab combination I could and Eden just sounded the best - and I always use it with the EQ set flat - it just reproduces the bass's sound perfectly.

I know lots of pro musicians in the UK who use Eden - without any endorsement "deal" or whatever, but just because they like the sound.

I don't consider Eden overpriced - they are audibly better than anything cheaper and I consider buying an Eden head one of the best investments I made.

I believe that if certain gear has a "reputation" in a community it is because it is deserved. The best bass shops in the UK stock Eden, because they want to give their customers the best gear.

The shops that aren't so good, that I have visited, have tried to push other stuff at me - I can remember being told by one shop that I must try Warwick amps as the were so good and hating them - but nobody has tried to get me to buy Eden stuff - it sells itself! ;)

17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    "I believe that if certain gear has a "reputation" in a community it is because it is deserved."

I believe that is only true in the long term. In the short term, marketing hype, mob mentality and peer pressure can create the illusion of deserved reputation.

That said, I feel about the same way about Eden gear as I do about SWR or even Trace Elliot. They are all great amps with individual characteristics. As far as Eden amps go I found their tones to be OK out of the box, excellent with tweaking just like those other brands mentioned. Whether one is sonically superior to another is a subjective argument.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Funny thing about opinions. I always say the same thing about SWR. But I guess if it wasn't for people like us, We'd all have the same black box with the word "bass amp" printed on the front in white.

19. Not sure if I would say that Eden was overrated, but I will say that I don't use them anymore. I had an 800 for a couple of years, that is until I fooled around and played through an Alembic F1-X while sitting in on a friends gig... He had it going through a Mackie 2800i (can't say I'm a huge Mackie fan, but they do make quality equipment).

I purchased an Alembic for myself, and took both amps out on a few gigs (Alembic one set - Eden one set). I sold the Eden a couple months later.

While I can't say that the Eden was a bad amp (I used it for almost 2 years) - everyone in the house noticed when I plugged into the Alembic - especially me !

20. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I use Eden WT 400 with Acme Low B2 4 ohms, and SWR SM400S with Goliath 3. I prefer the EDEN/ACME combination. They sound punchier, clearer for every note and popping is finer.
    It strange that the EDEN is more powerful than the SWR when switch the combination SWR/ACME.
    Everybody I play with, alaways surprised with the sound of that EDEN/SWR.
    The best of it I put everything flat on EDEN and just tweak on the bass guitar. I donot say SWR is bad , they are extremely good , but Eden is better.