Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden amps.. how do they sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 4, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am thinking of getting an eden 330.

are these fairly rated amps / are they loud?

I have often heard that edens have a certain tonal characteristic, but i have never heard one.

what is the nature of this tonal characteristic?

anyone have a sound file of bass played thru an eden?

thanks! :)

2. I am going down to try some at Bass Northwest on Tuesday. Yay! The few times I have heard Edens in person, they have sounded quite good. I would like to hear people weigh in on this thread, too.

3. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think some critics will say edens have a nasally sound. I like the articulation of them. I've not heard a 330 though.
    RD

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used to own a Metro, and I loved it. I also played through a WT-400, a WT-330, and a WT-800. All great amps. I love the powerful EQ. The ones I owned were always really quiet, and delivered a really nice warm tone. I don't think I would describe any of my Eden's as nasally though.

-Mike

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The cabs have a characteristic mid bump that cuts through, but can be a turnoff if you don't like that sound.

IME the heads are fairly transparent.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    In all my years of playing I finally found Eden last year. It is by far the punchiest, warmest and most articulate bass sound I've ever heard. The important thing with them is that they let the true sound of whatever bass you are playing shine through.
    Take great care in choosing the right set up if you go with Eden, if you are just rehearsing/or playing coffee houses/smaller venues a Metro combo or WT550 with a 210xlt will be OK. For larger gigs the preferred weapon of choice must be at least a 410xlt 4 ohm + WT550 head or for future expansion get the WT800 head

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    my thoughts are:

eden wt 330

two schroeder mini 12s 4ohm each

that would be 420 eden watts

your thoughts?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No comment on the Schroeders, but the WT-330 is a nice amp. It will cut through and sound nice. What sound are you going for?

-Mike

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm thinking of pairing my Trace V8 with a XLT410 and 15 or something. Or perhaps a XST410 + XLT210.. Not sure yet.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    After many years and many amps, I am using an Eden WT-550. I've only had it a few weeks, but so far I really like it. I use it with a Bergantino HT112. Small, light and potable. I haven't had a chance to relly push it yet, but so far it sounds great. I like the preamp and it should have plenty of power for my needs.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Ok, I'll bite as i just did a huge comparison of a bunch of preamps and amps including the 330, and i owned a wt-400 for years.

I'm not sure if the 330 can handle a 2 ohm load, so i'm not sure if you can use it with two 4 ohm cabs. The Wt-550 can handle a 2 ohm load, is just as small/light, and has a much more versitile eq. So if you can swing it, i'd vote for the 550 over the 330. A used 400 or 300 wouldnt be a bad idea either. IME, eden power ratings are right in the middle, they arent the loudest amps for their ratings, but they arent the quietest either.

anyhow, the 330 is a nice amp. It sounds the same as the WT amps, but with less eq. Even so, the mid control is switchable between 550 Hz and 2.2 K which are both very useful frequencies. The enhance, bass, and treble knobs seem to work the same as the WT series controls.

The overall sound is somewhat neutral with a bit of warmth that sounds very nice. The EQ has a lot of range. Bass boost can be very full and tight sounding, and the treble boost sounds "sweet" rather than "hi-fi", "peircing", or "stratospheric".

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Agreed. The "warmth" however got to me after awhile, I felt it was a little dark sounding with a bump in the upper mids (nasal?) very small bump, but it definitly gives a signature to the Eden tone.

I wandered to Demeter as an alternative pre-amp and liked the more neutral open tone, but missed the "punch" of the Eden.

Then I rolled the dice on a GK1001rb-II. WOW. I got BOTH in one unit.

You can't go wrong with the right Eden head for your power needs, the WT800 was my choice and it worked EVERYWHERE. Over spec your power and enjoy the headroom. enjoy.

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I recently acquired a WT 550 and am very happy with it. 300@8ohms/500@ 4ohms /650@ 2ohms. Thats all I need...
    You might take a closer look at this head before buying the 330..
    I picked mine up new at Bass Central for 900 shipped brand new.
    A few years ago I had the WT 400 and the power was not quite enough for me so I sold that but always missed the sound from the Eden.

They are wll made...sound real good and have a great sounding DI

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The cabs have the low-mid-bump thats a matter of taste, but really fits well in the sonic space of a rock band. The heads are warm, clear, fast, and clean. Whats not to like!?

I can't wait till the new WT-800s and 1205s hit the used market :hyper:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden rules. RULES!

Most effective EQ in the world. Sounds great flat. If you need something else, a little dab'll do ya.

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had an early Eden vt .40, which was one of the earliest Eden heads and had the preamp designed by James Demeter... Until that amp finally died, I could not make it sound bad! I've not heard an Eden since that sounded like the vt... not better, not worse, just not the same...

-robert

17. I've got the Navigator, Eden's preamp. I can't make it sound bad. Sound cuts through, the tone controls are really sensitive, a little dab'll do ya. But you get a nice punchy sound out of it, cuts through the mix.

Great highs for slappin without being harsh, lots of lows for a nice fat booty if you like that sound. Tight midrangey sound if you like that. I love it.

I'm running into a pair of vl-210 EA cabs, so that helps. I also got great tone going into a bag end 18+ hartke 4.5xl.

Randy

18. I'm running a Metro on top of a D210XLT.....she's as loud as I want with headroom to spare. Can't comment on the so-called "nasally" tone but I will say that although I'm no expert, this rig is the best sounding set-up I've ever heard hands down.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, looks like someone else got to the eden 330 before me. it does run 420w safely at 2ohms.. so two 4 ohm cabs should be lots of volume.

anyway now I am considering a Stewart World Professional Reference 1000.

specs say both channels fully driven 350w x2 @4ohms so that would give me 700w of stereo sound with two 4ohm schroeder mini 12s. (this is correct right?)

it wont have all the nice features of the eden 330, but it will be way more powerful. Plus its only 11lbs. I will probably use one of the new sabddis which can be used as a preamp to warm the tone and save weight. Total will be 12lbs with 700watts... :bassist:

20. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Great informative thread :D ! Recently, I will do a recording session for my band. I got myself a SWR Goliath III speaker already. But I still haven't got a SWR SM-900 head now. I may borrow a Eden head from my friend if I really need a bass rig sound instead of record the direct signal only. So any people here can tell me how Eden sounds if I use my Goliath III with it? Any people here have tried it before? also, is Eden sounds hi-fi? Any inputs are appreciated! :)