Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden and preamp tube changes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have both an Eden Navigator, and a new WT800B...I like them both lots! I've never messed with the pre-amp tube in either, but I bet someone here has? What did you use, and with what results?
    Thanks-Alan

2. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    If you've got new gear you shouldn't need tubes for at least a year, even under HEAVY use. Mine usually last about 18 months and I play mine three times a week!! (Although it is good to carry a spare, just in case!!!)

You can call Eden customer service (www.eden-electronics.com) and they are like $18 each. Basically they are 12AX7's and you can use any type. I put a mesa tube left over from my walkabout days in my old WT-400 and couldn't really tell the difference... it sounded great. You can probably pick one up at your local music store if you're in a hurry.

Hope that helps!

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Buffordbass; everything is fine in my eden's...they're fully functional...was just wondering if anyone had messed with "pre-amp tube upgrades?"
    I like the way they sound right now, but hey, who doesn't like messing with stuff:)

4. You're only getting 18 months out of your preamp tubes? That don't sound right. Preamp tubes should last for many many years.

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I've had the same tube in my SM-400 since 1989. Still going strong...

6. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    If you haven't seen tombowlus' posts or his blog I suggest you read everything this guy has to say :) Check out http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/

He has a TON of equipment(probably more than that in sheer weight :bassist: :bassist: ) and thankfully, for the rest of us, he has taken his time to write reviews about much of the equipment he owns and his favorite equipment.

Check his blog out. Oh and I have just been a lurker :ninja: around here for a while, just started posting recently. I'd like to say thanks to Tom for all of the long hours he has put into his a/b tests and reviews for all of us fellow bassists out. THANKS!!!

-Craig

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow! Thank you for your kind words! I really do enjoy playing around with bass gear, and sharing it with my fellow bassists makes it all the more fun! :D

As for swapping around preamp tubes in an Eden, I am a dedicated tweak nut, but even I have to admit that in my Navigator, rolling tubes just does not make that much of a difference. For whatever reason, the manner in which the tube is incorporated seems to minmize the tonal impact of the particular tubes used. My other preamps/heads seem to respond much more audibly to tube swapping.

Tom.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Been to the blog, and continue to monitor it. I value Tom's opinion, and it's obvious he has way to much time on his hands :ninja:

Tom, from what you're saying, I'm probqably better off leaving well enough alone...thanks for your insights!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine