Eden and US Music: A Bad Thing???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    It is interesting to see on eBay the number of folks selling Eden stuff that make a point of saying it was built BEFORE being bought by US Music. I don't know if this is just an attempt at marketing on their part, or if there may be some truth to the matter. Personally, I don't see how being bought out by a well-funded, going concern like USM could be a bad thing. Why would they buy Eden only to run it into the ground? It seems like bigger companies have learned some lessons since CBS bought Fender. But then again, the bean counters in a large organization could put the squeeze on manufacturing quality goods. You know the scenario: "If we save $0.65 on this pot, we can save $XXXX by the end of the year!" Any TBers looking into this question?
  2. In the case of Eden, I believe as long as David Eden is still involved in designing and producing his amplifiers and cabinets, they will remain a high quality product.

I think most of this pre-(insert company name here) business is often just an attempt to drive up the prices of used gear. Because regardless of who the pre-company was, you still have to deal with the new company for any customer service. Its funny that you don't see pre-St. Louis Music Ampeg, and most people would not turn down a post- Ernie Ball Musicman. You never hear about pre-Kamen Trace Elliot, but you hear all about pre-Gibson Trace Elliot. I think that has much to do with the service offered by the company and whether the company is involved in innovative research and design of new products as well as maintaining the quality of old favorites.

Of course their are cases where some once great small company is bought out by a large one and quality begins to suffer, or they just keep churning out the same gear old gear while constantly raising prices based on the name. I won't mention any here. I think most of deficiencies are really with customer service. For example, I owned a bunch of "pre-Fender" SWR gear, but I still had to go through Fender's customer service when I needed help or parts. Nothing against Fender, but when I called them, I really did not get any usefull answers to my questions. This is one of the many reasons I use almost all boutique gear now, because I prefer to get the guy who designed and built my gear on the phone when I call, not some generic customer service rep who is reading verbatum from the manual.
  3. The ever-so-ellusive David Eden! If you ever get to deal with him in person let us know. Also, if you get the chance tell him David Nordschow wants his company back.
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  5. In the words of Steve Martin, who is a real person by the way, "EXCUUUUUSE MEEE!!!"

I was purely trying to make point. I am not familiar with every person involved in the amp building industry. I have never used his stuff or had access to it. I was basing my opinion on his reputation, and word of mouth from fellow bassists.

Did you have something meaningful to contribute to this discussion, or do you just enjoy trying to make people look bad? Honestly, if you want to make a correction in someones information, perhaps you could think of a better way than blatent sarcasim.
  6. I was merely being facetious. David Nordschow is still in charge of his company, Eden Electronics. They still manufacture everything (including the "David" line of enclosures) in the same place and the guy even answers the phone sometimes. Their QC is about as top-notch as you're going to find anywhere in a company of their size. It's my understanding that the buy-out has enabled them to focus on making quality products instead of worrying about how to stay afloat.

There, was that better? :D
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    LOL. I always get a kick out of people throwing around the name "David Eden" like there ever was such a person - I guess it makes them feel more knowledgeable to drop a name, even if there is no such person by that name. Ebay is full of "David Eden cabs" and "David Eden heads".

Nobody ever stops to read the badge on the gear that says "David, by Eden" let alone get the David vs Goliath reference between Eden and SWR . . .
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The last couple times I called, I spoke to David myself. He didn't make it known to me who he exactly was until the very end of the conversation.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I haven't heard anything that would make me believe there's a drop in quality since the acquisition. For the record, though, all my Eden stuff is pre-USM.
  10. Guy,

I appologize for flying off the handle, but it did appear that you were taking a stab at me. :cool:

I have been out of the loop for a while, so I have not had time to keep up with these things. I just bought my first bass magazine in years a few weeks ago. That is why i joined this forum - to catch up on whats new and cool. Now that we have made the fact that there is no David Eden very clear, lets get on with the discussion. :)
  11. If the WT550 I tried recently was any indication, you have nothing to worry about when buying a new Eden. If anything, David Nordschow is more involved in keeping production on track than before.
  12. It's all good! As you can see you're not the first guy on the planet to make the same type of reference. We've had a few of them here. LOL! Please keep posting and I'll be more mindful of my humor :p
  13. My WT550 was manufactured just weeks before the takeover, but when I had a question about set up, the e-mail was answered the next day by David himself. That is pretty fair customers service.

14. bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I purchased a new 115XLT that was post takeover. It is the same quality as my older Eden cabs. They even started putting speakon connectors on their cabs now. Nice touch.
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I giggle every time I see an ad that screams "PRE TAKEOVER EDEN". There is some tool right now advertising a WT800 and two cabs that is loudly exclaiming its PRE TAKEOVER! "THE GOOD STUFF"
    The stuff is made in the same place by the same people. Its still first rate stuff.
  16. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bingo. David personally got involved when I fried my WT-400 a coupla months ago. Top notch customer service.

17. No problem :cool: Actually, I like the humor, now that I realize its all in good fun :D

Hopefully that will be the case with some of our other favorite takeovers. I heard a rumor from a friend of mine, who is a Fender/SWR dealer, that the Workingmans series is going to be made at the Mexico plant, but the Pro stuff will still be made here in the U.S.. Hopefully, again, this will allow the pro series stuff to remain as quality as it has been in the past(i.e. handbuilt SM series etc etc). I also read somewhere that Gibson was bringing all the guys from Trace Elliot over here to continue building amps. However, it appears lately that TE has dropped off the face of the earth. Does anyone have the skinny on this?
  18. Gibson has killed off everything but the Trace Elliot acoustic amps. They lied about keeping the bass amps in production in order to keep sales of the last remaining amps going and not having to liquidate large amounts of stock of a dead line. If they had announced their true intentions and sales fell off, they would have been under obligation to accept returned unsold product from their dealers since they no longer support their warranty and dealers sales agreements do not include as-is B-stock, which is what discontinuing the line effectively reduced all of TE bass amps to.

BTW in regards to the original post, I see LOTS of pre-SLM Ampeg and it's VERY common. Just look at ANY vintage Ampeg auction eBay.
  19. Thanks for the info Psycho.

I had suspected something like this when the bass amps had dissappeared from TEs web site. Oh well... Its a good thing we have Ashdown carying on the tradition of awsome Brittish bass amps designed by Mark Gooday( Or is it Mark Ashdown :p ).

I totally agree on the vintage Ampeg thing. When it comes to all tube SVT sound, I know many people prefer the 70's stuff(weren't some of those manufactured by Magnavox?). What I meant before was that that most people, inclcuding tons of professionals, do not seem to have a problem with the quality of Ampeg gear produced under SLM(eg. SVT Pro series, SVT AV and CL series). I guess I should have been more clear there.
  20. Well it's pretty much all been said. One thing I remember from the talk right after the takeover was that "David Eden" was tired of running the company and wanted to get 'back to the bench' as they say in the engineering world.

Funny, but didn't he design the first Goliath cabs for SWR?