Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden being produced in Asian factories?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I was on ebay scouting out Eden 210XLTs and notice that two sellers made mention of the company changing hands and no longer being hand-made in the US? What's the story behind this? I haven't been paying attention to the bass world in the last couple years, so I missed out. I tried to do a search, but didn't yield anything in the first few pages.

2. yea, i heard they sold there company a while back. it was news but i guess not big enough news to have any story. they just sold...out.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Washburn bought Eden about 6 months ago, but as far as I know all production is still done at the original Eden facility by the same people as always. Sounds like some folks are trying to inflate the price of their old Eden gear by inciting fear of reduced quality.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Exactly. Still produced in the same American facilities as before.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    U.S. Music Corp bought Eden, they also handle Washburn, Oscar Schmidt and Randall. Everything is still made in Chicago.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
  7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    It's EBAY. People turn into car salesmen when they put stuff up there. I have 2 pre-US Music and 3 post-US Music cabs and they are the same to me.

8. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    taken from the product header:

Eden WT-400 Traveler Original USA MADE 2002
    "This is the best bass amp we make." -David Eden,

here let me repeat the last line again:

"This is the best bass amp we make." -David Eden

is there something I'm trying to point out? ;)

9. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ha, he probably forgot how to spell Hardoooskkkcaowowowwwowww(sp)

10. From the site's FAQ:

Q: Who is David Nordschow and why is he referred to as Chief Propellerhead and Master of All Things Technical?

A: David is the founder of Eden Electronics. Today, he runs the Eden division of US Music and is the head of our R&D department. He is the brain behind all of our designs.

Mike

11. David's (the head of the company) last name isn't Eden. It's Nordschow The company is Eden Electronics, David's last name is Nordschow. If you look at the badge on the speakers, it says DAVID by EDEN. The reason for the speaker being named David is because before he started selling his own speakers he designed some speakers for SWR, called "Goliath". (big guy vs. the little guy).

As for production, mMy sources tell me that the only thing that's moved anywhere is the speaker production. It used to be in MN, about 30 mi. from my house, and it has since moved to Chicago. The electronics are all still being built in Montrose MN. BTW it was more like a year and a half ago that the company was sold to Washburn.

As far as off-shore production, Eden is adding an "affordable" line of amps, called the silver series. Check out the web site under Nemesis products. But affordable sometimes means off-shore, like the B word comany, or the new Ashdown MAGs or most anything toward the low end of the spectrum.

Intrepid, what was that?

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    U.S. Music Corp.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I was just exaggerating the often misspelled Nordschow... :(

14. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Originally it did, but later was dropped to "David Eden" on the speakers so that's why people make the simple mistake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The buy/sellout was around October of 2002. It was a hot potato around here, as myself and another person said they had reliable info it was being done and no one wanted to believe it - attacking the messengers instead of making some simple phone calls to insiders to find out for themselves. In my case, I supposedly had "no crediblity" because I made the simple mistake of calling him David Eden. ;)

15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    After all the comments, one thing to say is: The stuff still kicks a$$!

16. Just further proof that you can ignore half of what you read on the internet and then dismiss the other half. ;)

17. LOL! :D :D :hyper:

( should have said that before)

18. What amuses me is that the eBay seller complains that he needs a smaller amp. What the hell's wrong with a 350W 8ohm cab? That's nearly too small as it is. Even size-wise it's not like you'll get anything as good that's smaller.

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've got a few pre-sellout Eden cabinets. I wonder if it is safe to gig with these cabinets. If they are going to be collector items someday I sure don't want to get them all banged up. I already feel awful sick about what I did to one of them last night. I have a CX110 cabinet that I bought just because it stacked perfectly on top of my 112XLT cabs. It's the one with the single 10 inch and the coaxial tweeter. It sounded OK with the 112 cabinets, but it always bothered me to have that stupid tweeter built in to the speaker. I was even thinking about replacing it with an Eminence Kappa Pro 10 to create a compact, high power, tweeterless cab. So last night I'm digging around in the back of the closet and I found a brand new in the box Kappa Pro 12 that I bought a few years ago for an emergency spare for my other cabinets. I ripped the 10 out of the CX110 and cut out the hole with a jig saw and installed the 12 incher. With the speaker flange all the way up at the top, the cutout just cleared the port holes. Looks like it came from Eden that way. I tried it out this morning with the bridged PLX3002 powered up as high as I could stand it and it sounded very good. Some of the fiberglass stuffing blew out of one of the ports, but otherwise, no problem. I now own a new Eden Mini-12 speaker cabinet. Of course, someday when the pre-sellout CX110 is a collector item I will feel like a moron. :meh:

20. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    You'll have to excuse my Fender knowledge, but wasn't Fender products good for a while after CBS bought them? It wasn't 'til years later that they began to turn into dog ****? Maybe that's the stage we're at right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.