Eden/ Bergantino question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Aug 4, 2003.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Ok, folks... GAS has got the rest of me, and in search of some more headroom and better sound on gigs, I am very close to buying a Berggie HT322 cab. This cab seems like what I have been looking for, for quite a while.

I currently am running an Eden WT400, which I like, but it is certainly not powerful enough to run the HT322 - at least based on an email exchange with Jim Bergantino. So, I am probably going to go with a Pre/Power rig and the HT322, and keep my WT400 and other cabs for smaller gigs and backup.

A couple questions as follows:
    1. I cannot afford to buy a pre, power, and cab all at once right now. So, it seems to me that I could start by getting a power amp and the HT322, and use my Eden WT400 head as a pre temporarily (til I can afford to get a devoted pre for my rig). Anyone here ever run an HT322 with an Eden Pre or Eden head?? Comments on the sound???

2. For a power amp, I am thinking of a Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1. Anyone have any feedback on these driving the Berg or have any recommendations on other power amps? I am looking for something that has mucho power, doesn't weigh a ton, and will cost significantly less than a grand.
    Edit: I would like to run the amp in stereo mode, at least sometimes. Reason being, I would have to be running at less than 4 ohms with 2 cabs, bridged, which I think most power amps don't like.

I much appreciate all of your inputs, folks.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I really like the 322 driven by the 1.6 or the 2.1, both of which I own. I think your plan to pick up a Stew and use the Eden 400 as a pre is a great idea. The best thing about that Eden is the preamp, IMO. I used one for a while and it was excellent. I don't see how you can lose, just get a four space rack, the Stew and the 322 and you'll have a killin' rig!
  3. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Thanks for the inputs, boogiebass. Since you seem to be intimately familiar with the gear in question, I have a couple more questions for you.

Does the Stewart 1.6 have enough power in one channel to effectively drive the HT322?? Or does it need to be bridged?

Have you ever had any reliability or thermal issues with the stewart??

Am I crazy for wanting a rig like this when my typical gig ranges from classic rock to blues to soul to funk??
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You would need to bridge it, IMO.

Don't believe the hype, as the old saying goes. The 1.6 has a fan, unlike the lower powered Stews. A non-issue for this amp.

Not at all. I think a great rig (which this would certainly be) works for any style. Most of my gigs are in what is commonly called a "classic rock" trio.
  5. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I highly recommend the Bergantino cab. It is awesome. If money is not an issue you will be happy with a seperate power amp and pre-amp. I play thru a Kern-777 and a Crest LT 1500 with a Bergantino 3-10 and a Bad-end-212 and it is easily my best set-up. I have previously used, Aguilar DB 359, Swr 750, Ampeg pro-3 , Gk 1001, Ashdown ABM 500. My current rig is so much more powerful. Good luck with the new rig.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What boogiebass said. I power my Bergs with a Stewart 2.1. It's clean, cool, and loud. Last month I did a loud outdoor gig on a humid 95 degree day: afterwards my SVP-Pro was hot to the touch, but not the Stewart: one would never have known how much work it had just done.

Sounds like you're working on a killer rig... I'm looking forward to the review!
  7. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Kind of what I figured - that the 1.6 would need to be bridged to do the HT322 justice.

How bout the 2.1? can 1 side handle the HT322? or is bridging much better there, too?

Can 1 side of the 1.6/2.1 handle a 2 ohm load?? I am assuming bridged, 2 ohms is a no-no.
  8. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I ran a WT-400 as a preamp into a QSC RMX 2450 and a Bergie 210. It sounded fine (not amazing IMO, though).

I actually wouldn't recommend that setup, because IIRC you have to use the 'headphone out', rather than a usual line out...that's not going to be the cleanest signal, since the headphone out has it's own little built-in amp.

I would suggest you get the power amp of your choice, and then buy a $100 (or so) mic preamp, like this one:

This won't give you the 'eden sound', but it should give you your bass + a bergie cabinet sound :bassist: And in the meantime you can save up for a kern, dem or navigator if you want.

Please note, I've never actually tried the presonus as a bass preamp before -- but I think there are a few threads on using mic preamps for this application if you're interested. If i didn't already have a '201, I probably would have gone that route.

Good luck!

9. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    interesting response... Is it possible to use the DI out on the Eden head to feed the signal to the power amp?? I have been kinda scared of the headphone jack option, so your reply doesn't suprise me.
  10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'm not sure on this...I don't see why not if you have the right cable (XLR to 1/4" I guess), but there might be some kind of impedence mis-match. Someone who knows the Traveler and Stewart better should field this one....

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The HT322 is a great all around cab.

You might check into either QSC PLX1602 or PLX2402 amps or the Crest LT1500 or LT2000 (the LT's are class D amps). I'm sure the 1.6 or 2.1 Stew's are fine as well.

Brian Barrett says the LT's input sensitivity is low enough to run (at least some active basses) the bass straight in with no preamp.

I run mine with a Dem 201s -> bridged PLX1602 and it sounds great.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

From one side, the 322 would get about 700 watts. That should handle a lot of situations, but if you needed more you could bridge (which would get you 2100W :eek: )

Yes and yes. :)

FWIW: at an outdoor gig last Saturday I ran HT310 plus HT115 (2.67 ohm load) from one side of my 2.1. I'm guessing output was about 900W total? Anyway, we play pretty loud and I don't get PA assist, but even so, all I saw was green on the Stew (and I'm a 5-stringer who likes phat bottom).
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I wouldn't use the headphone out, but with the line out it should work great as a preamp! I'd also look at the QSCPLX amps the are selling as C-stock in another thread. They are great reliable lightweight amps, and at the blow out prices you might have enough left over for a preamp anyway.
    Sounds like your putting together a very nice rig anyway you go about it....Bergies rule:bassist:
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Absolutely. I used the DI out on my WT400 and ran straight into a Mackie 1400i using XLR cable. You can set the level to what gives you the best signal to noise.