Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden, best amps in the world?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockFiend, Feb 16, 2002.

1. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I just had an Eden WT-500 and a 4x10XLT(8 ohm) shipped in to my local store. I'm running it biamped from the 8ohm banana port to the parallel quarter ports on the cabinet. The cabinet is rated at 700 watts capacity and the head is only 500 but even with the gain at around half and the master up in the 9's the speakers seem to be baffling, distorting because they are popping out too much? I've got the biamp button popped in on the front panel. am i doing something wrong because this is totally unimpressive, n/m even the hype surrounding eden products anyway.....?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's your EQ look like? If you've got the bass boosted, it's not hard to overdrive even Eden speakers. Keep in mind that, if you have any of your EQ levels set above 12 o'clock, you're adding gain (volume ) to the signal path. This is especially critical in the bass ranges. Set everything flat and see how it sounds. Then add gain a little at a time to get "your tone." Actually, it's best to cut unwanted frequencies, and leave the others flat. That way, you have more control of your overall gain at the pre-amp or volume knobs.

3. eden isn't super super high end. They are at the top of the heap as far as mass produced amps and cabs go. They sound more like super high end gear (aguilar etc..) but are a lot cheaper. In my experience edens don't sound so great when your in a store or just playing by yourself, but in a live situation they are sssssoooooo sweet. The have the perfect tone in a live situation- fat, warm, and clear. Where swr or most any other mass produced amp/cab does not even touch eden's tone in a live situation.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You need two speaker cabinets to biamp. You may have blown your head running both sides of a stereo amp into the same cabinet.

You need to run your amp in bridge-mono mode to use it with one cabinet. The instructions should show you how to hook it up. You'll only have one cable from the amp to the cabinet.

Eden equipment is verry good IMHO. I usually run a component "head" (seperate pre and power amps) but do own one integrated head, an Eden WT-400. It will get pretty loud running a 410XLT.

I have all Eden cabinets. I like them that much.

Good luck with your new rig.

Chuck

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, they're not the best bass amps in the world, but they're very good and well-designed. I have found the WT400 and WT800 to be quite rugged, too. I regular use Eden, Mesa Boogie, Ampeg ('70 SVT) and SWR. I like them all for the different things they do. I also occasionally use a separate power amp/preamp combination with a Mackie and Bass Pod Pro. IMO, different amps work at their best in different rooms. Of course, my approach is, admittedly, an indulgence and not available to every bassist.

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I like how Eden sounds when others are playing!! But not when I'm playing. A lot of players swear by them, I swear at 'em, again, except when someone else is playing.

For whatever reason, SWR and Edens and my playing style doesn't sound good together. I've found that to be the case with a lot of stuff. Only GK's and my present rig have a pleasing enough tone to work for me so far.

My current rig, a Sunn 1200 S head running at 4 ohms (900 watts or so) into an Aguilar 112 and and EA 208, which I think combined are rated at 750 watts, is perfect for my touch and venues. I use a Lakland 5594 deluxe, run it essentially flat, run the Sunn fairly flat with a lot of compression, and have my 31 band, Dod eq set fairly flat with an occasional mid frequency cut, and voila, fat, clean, and punchy all at the same time with zero distortion. I'm running my channel gain on about 2 and my master volume beween 1.5 and 3. There's so much more undistorted volume available it's scary. Yeah the the Sunn's got more "wattage" than your Eden BUT, maybe that's another 2 db's at most.

I think you have to be doing something wrong to distort that cabinet even with a lower wattage, including what was just said in another post here earlier today. I know for example, when I don't secure my chords correctly, I'll get distortion at very moderate volumes.

Good luck

7. Same here. I also dig the way you said it diplomatically, so as not to lead anyone to believe that Eden and SWR don't r001!!

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Eden has some of the best stuff out there. I'd say they definetely compete with high end brands I was looking at Acme, Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifini, and EA cabs. I don't how much high end you can get, but I chose the Edens because my tone and sound was there. The others cut short where the Eden left off.

Oh yeah, don't mention Walter Woods because they are just.....ugh....:D

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've done various shootouts with gear from Eden, Ampeg, SWR and the like and my opinion is always that their respective tones aren't better or worse than each other, but merely different flavors of cool. With that in mind, I chose to gig with a pair of SWR Goliath Jr. III's in large part because they're light (only 55lb each or so).

10. Larry Kaye- way to go. you presented your opinion as an opinion. I respect that. Eden is my tone, no doubt about it. I've played through GK and had the worst tone ever. I have heard other guys play GK and was absolutely blown away. It's just about what works with your fingers, your bass, and your ears. There are a lot of quality amps out there, you just have to try em' all and see what you like.

BigBohn- Walter Woods are not an option for 90% of the bass world, both because of price and availability. Only a handfull of people are using them, I haven't even seen one in my lifetime. but if they are anything like some people say, then they are very very sweet.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    exactly - you have to factor yourself into this stuff.

lots of players play warwick + swr, and i don't sound like any of them, i sound like ME :)

jason

12. I like the point that Jason is making here, you sound like you period. No matter if it's a plywood bass or a conklin custom made axe with a quilted maple top. You sound like YOU!!

I often see this when i go to local clubs "open mike nights" The same guys use the same amp and even the same bass sometimes. But, the sound radically different.

I could go on about the attack they use, the muting they do........etv, etc. BUT the bottom line is You'll always sound like you!!