Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden cab users, need advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Mar 4, 2005.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hey guys I plan to buy a 210XLT cab and either a 410XLT or a D115XLT and would like to know if whoever uses them likes them or dislikes them. Some reviews said the 410 has a "scooped" mid tone which I don't want, I want the mids to stand out but cannot afford something like the 410XST.
    Anyway, if you Eden owners could give me some input about your gear, good or bad, that would be really great!
    Thanks!

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have never heard them referred to as "scooped". There is a Midrange "hump" that really makes the mids "bark" IMO. I have owned the 410 XLT, and the 210 XLT and I liked both of them. To me, the cabs don't sound as warm as my Aguilar cabs (GS 412,S 210), instead, they sound more HI FI. They both have plenty of low end and very crisp highs. You really can't go wrong with either of of them.

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Get the 212 as a standalone cab. This is what I use now and I will never get rid of it.

danman

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The 210/410XLT cabs offer good BFT$. As far as the reviews and descriptions, words like "scoop" and "hump" mean different things to different people and can get confusing for alot of us. What they are saying is the cabs are not "flat"(no eq), for alot of players the "built-in EQ" in cabs helps them get their sound.
    Take your head and bass into the store and try-em out!

5. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Great, that's what I was hoping to hear, some other replies said the same thing...
    I can't, I need 2 cabs to get the most of my amp. I'm sure the 212 rocks though!

6. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Bring My Post Up........

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sure you can. The 212 is available in both 4 and 8ohm.

Click here.

:)

Joe.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The XLT's have a hump. They give you a bit of a mid boost compared to a flat cab.

The XST's have a scoop. You get a bit less mid than normal compared to a flat cab.

Get the XLT. That mid boost is great once you learn to control it. I hated it at first then I found I couldn't live without it.

Scooped cabs are everywhere. If you want a scooped cab get a Peavey and save some money.

:)

Joe.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm on the fence these days re: eden cabs. i was originally a huge fan, but since became more enamored with epifani and the other more "hi-fi" cabs when looking for a sound other than the admittedly "colored" sound of my bag end cabs. the low mid hump of the XLT series can definitly cut and and heft to your tone. i used a 210 XLT for a long time, both with my bag end 1x15 and with and old SWR/made by eden goliath 410 (pretty much the same as an SWR goliath 2 or eden 410T). over time i came to find the sound of the XLT series more and more "artifical". One cab i will never grow tired of is the 410T/goliath 1/goliath 2. sure, they don't have the low mid boost of the XLT or the low end response of more modern cabs, they're not as "hi-fi" as more modern cabs with 10" drivers, and they dont have the most sophisticated crossovers, and the tweeters can get a bit harsh. still, i find they have a certain "mojo" all their own. IMO, the agular 410S cab seems to be very reminiscent of those cabs. yeah, i'd gripe about the weight, but i wouldnt hesitate to use 2 410T's or goliath 1's or 2's. plus there's something about those cabs w/o the front vents and the old style swr grille that oozes coolness. especially when you have 2 stacked or 4 arranged in a big cube. :cool:

you know you're getting old when you start to think of a cab from 1987 as "classic" :p

10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Right there with you. ;)

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Shut up punk. I'm 2 years older than you. To the day!:spit:

I AINT OLD!!:scowl:

Well, not grown up anyway.:rolleyes:

:D

Joe.

12. I think I disagree with one thing. The xst is not really scooped. It still has a bit of a mid hump, but it just happens that the bass range extends down fairly evenly so it is not as pronounced.. it is closer to flat.. so compared to the xlt it seems scooped, but in general it still has a low mid hit.
    That is my experience.. 100% from the 210xst and 210xlt but I am assuming it transfers.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I swore by Eden cabs, and always said you would have to pry my Eden cabs out of my dead hands if you wanted them.

That was until I plugged into my first Epifani cab. Sure, I will always own an Eden cab, but it will serve as a backup to my Epi.

-Mike

14. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Epifani is way too much $$ for what I'm looking for unless someone can convince me otherwise ;)

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You know you're old when you complain about loading that cab in the car (SUV)"

Being the same age I totally identify with your "classics". Sonically, there is definitely a low mid bump that lets the 410 really cut through in a loud situation. I definitely don' think this is the flatest or most natural sounding cab around. I don't like listening to it alone at home, but it just kills at the gig.

the bump/scoop defines the eden sound and is a great cab for many applications. Personally, I sold my Eden 210xlt, which I think sounds better than the 410xlt, simply because it was a bulky cabinet. The bulkiness/weight of this cab was not a really spacesaver and probably has half the volume as the 410 with 3/4 of the weight.

If you're looking at a 410 (new) in that price range I would consider the Epifani or Aguilar. I always see the aguilar cab, which is essentially the same as the eden but a little smoother and "rounder" sounding a little cheaper. Usually $50-$100 cheaper.

16. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx

Definitly looking for used Eden, new is out of the question. I can get 2 used cabs for the price of one new. I don't see any used 212 edens or any used aguilar cabs. One reason I have to admit on getting the eden is they are plentiful at the moment used 210xlt wise

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My preferred outdoor/large venue rig is the D-210XLT sitting on top of my D-410XLT. Tons of sound, and any tone I want. I have a D-115XL in practice room, but it's never seen a gig.

18. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Thats what I like to hear......kinda planning that setup myself......
    Thanks!

19. My experience is with the 410XLT. I bought one from a TB'er for Chelsea, Aroarah's bassist . It came with brand new Eden drivers installed.

On the test bench, it has the big Eden hump in the midbass.. this is a big swell in the 80 ~ 120 Hz range. It gives the impression of huge bass, and cuts through a loud mix well. The big hump is a result of stuffing acoustically large drivers into a too-small cabinet. The hump is the result, as is the swift rolloff below the hump. I found the 410XLT to be gutless at 41 Hz. IMO, this ain't a 5-banger cabinet if one is interested in low B.

IMO, this is not a HiFi cabinet. Listening to program material played through the 410XLT is similar to covering your stereo with a blanket. Kinda muffled. This cab is all about the mids.

Eden's have a tendency to crease the cones by over driving them. If you are a loudness freak, use multiple cabs. The XLT is "yesterdays" technology, and can be had at a decent used price. More than likely, the drivers are beat to sh*t, so plan on replacing them.

The 410XLT are built like tanks. The top and bottom porting offers serious reinforcment to the cab. Aroarah hauls this thing constantly between LA and Sacramento, and it always does the job. It is loud enough to fill the Roxy, and small enough to work intimate clubs.

20. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I'm sure the 212 is great, but I would have to lug the thing up and down the stairs in my home..... :crying: