Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Cabinets 2x10 xlt - 1x15 xlt Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arrrrrgh, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    I Own 2 eden cabs .. A 210xlt and a 115xlt. I am running a Peavey Max Pre-amp thru a Mackie 1400i poweramp. Im in a cover classic rock band that plays all the time. I am often running up to the redline of the Mackie in order to be heard. I would like to have more headroom to play with.
    Has anyone else used Eden cabs (210 - 115) with a Mackie Poweramp? If so which preamp did you use ? Munji, I think you use these same cabinets. Which Eden amp do you use ? Do you have PA support for gigs or is it just you ? Im thinking about getting an Eden Navigator preamp, and im also thinking about a WT800.
    Sigh.....
    I wish a decent music store was in my area (Humboldt County Calif) but there isnt.
    ......but there is other decent stuff here.....
    How much power can these cabs take ? Im getting tired of always fighting to be heard over keyboards and guitars and saxophones. I usually bi-amp my mackie into the two cabs, and that seems to give me the most headroom, but sometimes (is is rare) it just isnt loud enough.
    Any advice you TB'rs can give me about your own personal choice for the perfect, most headroom capable amps for these cabinets would be appreciated.

P.S. Im a P-Bass player that doesn't play with distortion. Im often called "Root Boy" (thats referring to the note, not the.. you know) because I play very basic and stay in the pocket.

Thanks again

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    OK, I do not know much about the specs of your gear. But I can offer a few questions as sometimes an outside source helps. Are you bridging teh Mackie? Or is it running stereo? Not knowing the impedence of your cabs, it may not be possible. I'm assuming the input gain is up on the amp, and it's still clipping?

3. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    I usually bi-amp the Mackie, but I have also bridged it. I cant tell the difference in the overall volume. Both cabs are 8 ohm... thanks for any advice

4. At 8 ohms you're getting ~250 watts to each cab. Somewhat low power for bass imo.

You'd probably like the results with the Mac driving a 4ohm load much better. Try running the cabs in parallel with the Mac bridged. You'll be much happier with 1k watts!

To do this, connect the two speaker cabinets together with a normal speaker cable and the amp to one of the two speaker cabs.