Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden cabs vs. mesa cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 19, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    which do you all think is better. im looking at gettin either a 4x10/2x10 over a 1x15. which would be better in your opinions? thanks.

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I think Mesa makes a 410 and 115 in the same cab. Pretty cool. I believe it handles 1000 watts.
    If we're talking XST...go Eden :) .
    I believe the Mesa cabs are meant more for a rock setting while the Edens may be a bit more versatile (esp. the XST).

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i was thinking maybe the xst 2x10. however i hadnt considered the xst's. i was thinking the xlt's. vs. the powerhouse.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    mesa cabs are meant for harder rock mainly. You will get much more versatility out of an eden, hands down. It has a much smoother sound, whereas the mesas seem to be meant for growl mainly. Edens can do that and more.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so eden gets a better spectrum?

well what about reliability. i know most mesa are built like rocks...what about edens?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, but if there was, this would be a leading candidate.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Eden has awsome build quality. The timber joinery, the electronics, the carpet and grilles, everything is fantastic. You will not have any problems. And they really to sound good - and loud! My only complaint it weight but the same goes for of a lot of other brands.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i was waiting for munji to reply. i just didnt expect that. well at least i know where he stands.

do the edens come with casters? i havent seen any so im guessing no.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes they do (the 410s, anyway).

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never been able to get the clarity of highs and mids that I like out of a Mesa cab in the few times that I've played through them. They sure can kick out some lows though! I bet an Eden 4x10 might be nicely complemented by a Mesa 1x15(as much as I feel that Munji would object to this unholy interbreeding).

If I had to choose one though it would be Eden.

brad cook

11. Mesa and Eden sound totally different. To my ears Mesa is an old school R&R type sound and Eden is a modern clean full range hi-fi sound. You really need to play both of them before you decide.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i have played the mesas, im going back tommorrow to make a final choice. but i am going to bass central at teh end of the week to play some eden stuff. so we will see.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    4-5 years ago, I went on a new cab quest, and at the time I was fairly sure that I was going to end up with either Eden or SWR. However, after listening to everything I could get my hands on, I was blown away by the Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 "Deep." To my ears, at least, this cab was much more articulate, tight, and even than Eden or SWR. In fact, it made the Eden 410XLT sound muddled and indistinct by comparison. That really surprised me. So, I bought the Boogie 4x10, and I love it.

That said, it sounds like others have had drastically different experiences than I. FWIW, I was using an Eden WT-800 as a head when I was making my comparisons. And, that was with the older cabs. I have not heard the newer Powerhouse cabs from Mesa, but from what I hear, they don't hold a candle to the old Road Ready and Diesel cabs.

Eden, on the other hand, has taken what I consider to be a great step forward with their XST line. I did get a chance to check out a T-210XST, and I was very impressed. Much more definition and balance than the XLT (to my ears, at least).

So, for Eden versus Boogie, if you are buying new, the XST would get my vote. However, I did not prefer the XST sound over the sound of my older Diesel 4x10.

And if you REALLY want my recommendation for a 4x10, I'd say Epifani ultra light, all the way, baby!:D

Tom.