Eden CXC-110 opinions, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 19, 2005.

1. I searched & found little here(TB)on this combo. I'm mostly satisfied w/my Hartke Kickback 12 as a small doubler, but I would love for it to be smaller, maybe a bit lighter & more powerful. I'd certainly like a full-featured DI, & the option of hooking up an extension cab. Any thoughts?
  2. OK, there's more on my similar post in DB, but here's some thoughts: I tried the head section(WT-330)through a Genz Benz 1x12 cab(the internal speaker is bad- VERY bad, & going back- more on that later). First I played my standup through it, & just for kicks I tried it w/o the K&K Pure preamp. Oh MY. :eek: I CAN play. :hyper:I've never heard my DB sound so good! Next I grabbed my 6 string Stambaugh- same results. Unbe-freegin-LEEEvable. Loud, clear, HUGE B string. So now I'm confused- do I try to get a fully-functional CXC-110, or something w/a 12"? Zzounds has a very tempting deal on the CXC, & a matching 1x10" cab would look SO sweet underneath. They also have a 1x12 w/the same head, but I'm thinking that would be getting a bit bulky.

Man I hate these 'which amp' threads... :rollno:
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love 12's but you'd be better off with the 110 combo and a 110 extension cab with it. That way with the upright just the combo would be perfect and with the electric you could bring the extension cab as well.
  4. Didn't you?

I had just convinced myself that the combo alone would be sufficient- if not, I could use the aforementiomed 1x12" cab. Now you've got me seeng that sweet Eden mini-rig again. My wife is mad at you..

(but I'm not)
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

6. -if that's your *real* name ;) - I did it. The boys at Bassnw made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I hope you're happy.

...I am. :hyper:
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm here for ya! ;)
  8. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

This is my exact rig.
    The CXC110 combo (with the TimeTraveler TT330 head) and the CXC 110 ext cab.

It pounds for 80% of my gigs here in town (Detroit metro area) with both 4 and 5 strings.

It's not real efficiant-like only 96db, but the low end on it is nice (down to 36Hz or so). Plus the head is the best sound Eden one IMO. I pop it out of the combo to use with my bigger cab for bigger gigs.
    It's like taking a 300watt 210 on the gig, but most people look at it like a little 110 combo with another little cab and dismiss it kinda quick.

My rig sat in Low Down Sound for the better part of a year with little playing time thru it because, like I said above, most of the players looked at it and passed it by because of the pair of single 10 cabs.

Well after I plugged into it (and thinking the same thing BTW) I was stunned. And bought it on the spot as I was looking for a small, light and loud little rig. Which again covers any gig where a "normal" 210/head rig would do well.

I installed a surface mount spring loaded handle and some 2" rubber feet on the bottom so when I take jus the combo I can "kick" it back a bit. This is also cool because I use the kick back when I place it on top of the ext cab as well.

I have a BSX Allegro EUB coming and can't wait to run it thru it.
  9. The kickback feature is the only thing I would(& probably will)add. Like you, I LOVE the tone of this thing. Seeing as how I was satisfied w/the volume of my Hartke, I imagine I'll be lovin' the Eden.
  10. I LOVE this thing(the CXC-110 arrived yesterday; the CX-110 has been waiting since August). Loud, clear, versatile. I have never heard my DB sound so nice. I am now officially a hi-fi guy. :cool:

Edit:I will use this mainly for BG(hence posting here), but I'll also lug it into Church Sunday nights w/the doghouse. It goes both ways- convincingly! Oh, look- post #1700. :hyper:
  11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ok, I'm about to put my foot in my mouth so have some pity on a foolish man.....

depending on your personality and relationship with equipment vs. volume vs. ignorance of distorted output of amps I believe the cxc-110 is a GREAT little low to mid volume combo. however, an ignorant user might easily overdirve the sesitive 110 in the cabinet or forget to turn of the dynamic bass boost and possibly ruin the speaker. I borrowed this combo from my local dealer and wanted to see if it would hold its own with MY CHURCHES KIDS CHURCH BAND (adult musicians in a kids church setting.) I usually use my RBI/STewart 1.2 with two aggie 112s. (with plenty of volume left over)

All by itself I felt the combo was too easily overdriven/overpowered trying to get volumes I needed. our band usually runs about 100-105 dBc where I stand on stage, so I guess I usually run about 105. when I hooked up an extension speaker (gs112) the volume with some careful bass eq adjustment was slightly more than loud enough.

Now the head on the other hand, the wt330, sounded EXCELLENT through just the two aggie 112s, so my main concern is that people realize that the reason the 110 sounds so wonderfully deep, and it does at lower volumes <100 dbC, but will probably fart out if you don't keep a keen ear on the speaker and a deft hand on the eq controls.

Did I eat my shoe???? :bag:
  12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the CXC combo, and LOVE it. For a 110 combo, it's a bit heavy and difficult to carry (compared to my GK Backline 110), but the sound is amazing and very large. Then again, I'm a huge Eden fan. If I need a bigger sound, I've got lots of other cabs I can pair it with, including Aggie 112's, Eden and Avatar 210's, and even an Avatar 112. Currently it sits on top of an older Avatar B112 (cube) and sounds HUGE. It will keep up with anything except an unruly rock band, but I have other stuff for those gigs. :)

One thing I like in particular about the Time Traveler line is they go down to 2ohms. No other Eden will (if you follow their advice, anyway, which I always do for my own peace of mind). Gives HUGE options for cab combos. For example, it may look odd, but I can run both Aggies WITH the Eden combo AND another 8ohm cab with no probs, and that moves plenty of air... even enough for a loud rock band, probably. Looks odd, tho.

For church, I use the GK SOLELY because of the portability and the built-in kickback feature, tho I do really like its sound. However, there's no comparison between the two in tone and bottom. While the GK does fine, and was a great value, the Eden is awesome and smokes it in every way.

Regarding the kickback issue, yeah, that one's significant to me, too, but there are lotsa' cool portable amp kickback stands to solve that. Yeah, more junk to carry, but worth it IMHO if you want that sweet tone.
  13. Mcrelly, I don't think you've put your foot in your mouth(maybe my... oh, never mind); honest opinions are what I'm after. I don't think I mentioned it specifically, but I'm using it w/the CX-110 extension cabinet. This bumps the output to 330 watts- plenty of power/headroom for my situation(like you, I'm playing in Church). As for the bass & treble boost, they both add way too much for my taste so I don't touch either. Conversely, the warm button doesn't seem(to my ears)to do anything. And yes, one could certainly damage the thing if not careful, but at this price point, I hope the buyer has some idea of what not to do w/regard to power/power handling, etc. Good points, though.
    Vic, I am willing to lug the fairly heavy box as I'm used to a Hartke Kickback 12- about the same size & weight, slightly more awkward to carry and FAR fewer features/lower power/weaker tone(IMO). I also would like to be able to angle it back. The first time I used it, I propped it back w/the DI box that I don't need anymore! :D I see MikeBass added a handle on the bottom for just this purpose. Pics, Mike?
  14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois

Personally, propping up the front with nothing behind it to support it (if it gets bumped) makes me nervous, so I spent the $12 for the Forte cab holder. At least in my case, backing it up to the first set of seats behind us won't really work logistically.

Alternatively, if you want something bigger, you might spend as much as 30-45, but have more height and/or angle opts. I have a few diff stands that offer me these opts, so I'm set.
  15. Sounds interesting- where did you get it? I'd probably dig a full-on amp stand, but this rig is part of a downsizing trend for me. I'm trying to get to the point of one-trip load in-ability. We'll see...
  16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Local music shop carries them. They're not big/strong enough to really support like a large guitar combo, but they're perfect for say a small guitar/bass combo or 112/110 cab no problem. I'll see if I can locate info for you, or at least get a picture of one, and if you like you can order from them direct.