Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden CXC-300 210 Combo volume problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbar0000, May 18, 2004.

1. tbar0000

tbar0000 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Hi all,
    I delurk to ask a question of the informed Eden owners here at talkbass. I have an Eden CXC-400 210 combo amp I use for small gigs, and practice. The amp section is basically a WT-400 (without the tube). It seems to have (lack of) volume issues. ref: http://www.eden-electronics.com/images/cxcfront.gif for a photo of the front panel.
    1st. With master vol off, I can set the gain fully up without ever getting the set level light to come on (with compressor bypassed.) This is with all 3 of my active basses (Bart & Aguilar preamps).
    2nd. while playing with the eq set pretty much flat, I get a flashing output limit light with all my louder notes. This occurs at moderate volumes i.e. conservative settings for gain and master (both about 12:00).
    According to Eden this output limit light comes on if the power amp has reached its maximum output level. On mine it comes on at 12:00 master with only 12:00 input gain which isn't even enough to light the set level light! It almost seems that "all" my basses are not putting out enough from their respective preamps to properly drive the gain stage of this amp...I mean, shouldn't I be able to get the set level indicator to light with the gain at a reasonable level? Of course if this did occur, it would probably mean that the Output limit light would simply come on even sooner.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps your Eden's act similiarly...Maybe I just set it up improperly, but this amp is rated at 225w at 8 ohms (internal speakers). It doesn't appear to be putting out that much and won't allow me to put the master anywhere near 10 without reducing the input gain severely.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Tbar0000

2. tbar0000

tbar0000 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    up