1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden D-210T - is it enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by js1, Nov 17, 2006.

1. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    I'm on the hunt for a cab for my Eden Traveller 400. As I posted in an earlier thread, I'm a little tight on cash, so I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive and will get me by for now. Originally thinking about a 410, since I've always been a 10" speaker fan.

I have a line on a D-210T (the original Eden 210). Playing bars, 200/300 people, rock. Heaviest it gets is STP or Foo Fighters. Won't be uber-loud, but I gotta provide a solid low end. Will it be enough for now? Later, I can add a second cab.

js

2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I have a line on 2 of these cabs myself,and am wondering if 2 would do the trick! I can get 2 of these for $450 !
    anyone care to enlighten us?

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have had the Eden cab (210T) for many years along with an Eden 115. I have used this combo in many different playing situations and can likely offer a pretty comprehensive opinion.

The 210T for me was not really able to cut it on its own as it's only rated to handle 250w rms and is quite sensitive. It is a great sounding cab and when paired with the 115, the combo was really good sounding but not all that deep. The 210T is quite different from the XLT version as it handles less power, is tuned to not go particularly deep but is quite smooth without the mid bump of the XLT version.

I was very happy with these two cabs for a long time as they were very punchy and loud when powered by my GK 800RB. 150 w to each cab was a perfect setup.

But once I got into 5 string bases I began to realize that as neither cab could reproduce much deep low end, my low notes were rolling off severely and even though I was loud, the bottom end didn't sound very good.

So after much agonizing, I moved on to a different setup. The two Eden cabs were likely all I would have ever needed bu the GAS finally got the best of me. My 210T was getting pretty old but was holding up really well. As a matter of fact, its still sitting at the store where I traded it in and they are asking $375 Canadian. Great deal on a fine cab.

Bottom line, if you are playing in a relatively loud full band setup, I don't think the 210T would cut it on its own. But paired with a 15 or really, any other cab with a similar power handling capacity and sensitivity, you can't go wrong.

Hope that helps,

Crabby

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I have the same cabs and same experience. The D210T is great used on end for small gigs with my SWR Bass 350. Combining the D210T with a D115T provides all the bottom and volume I've ever needed, even with the Bass 350. But I don't play 5 string.

More recently, I've been using a GK 410SBX just because one cab is easier to fit in the car than two. That's the downside of a 2 cab rig.

BTW, the Eden D115T is quite light for its size, even lighter than than D210T, which makes for an easy load in. But I'm not as successful with the 15 cab on its own...harder to hear in boomy rooms.

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Nope, you ae going to need a 4x10 or 2 2x10's

6. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Thanks, all. That's kinda what I figured. The Eden may still be interesting if I can get something else to pair with it.

But now I might have a line on a second one. Hey Crabby, what store is your cab at? I'm in Toronto.

js

7. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I find that with guitar oriented bands you never have enough.. and loud is very subjective to different people....my 900 crest watts may be my dragon slayer but for you it is just cutting it close.....
    with that being said........ i have used that cab on gigs but with PA support and was fine..i wouldnt count on it to fill a room with rock bass unless it were a smaller room.. maybe 50-100 people..... but i would go for at least 2 if possible or a larger cab... depending on the head you re using..iwould go for a 4x10 to be safe..

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My old cab is at the Long & Mcquade In Langley BC. If you wanted it, I am sure they would transfer it at no charge. The cab is pretty much mint. I replaced the logo and some of the corners a few years back. let us know what you end up with!

9. If u have PA also then it would be just fine. And later on you can always add a 1x15 for more volume and bottom end.

10. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the 210T!! It's clear, punchy and loud. It can not do a gig of 200 people that contaings hard rock! You need another 2x10 or 15" like mentioned above. Good luck.

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have a swr goliath jr3 210 and a swr SOB115 with a gk 1001rb head ...which is a really awsome setup....but in the next 2 week's i am getting a swr goliath3 410...just so i have a lot more versatitly.....so if i only need 1 i will take the 410...or if i want i can put the 115 under it for a lot more through.....and heck the option's are endless for a combo setup......i mean i can aford it which help's......but if u don't have a lot to spend and you only want one cab...i would go for a 410.....i know up here in canada...i can get a brandnew swr goliathIII 410 $899.....so i don't think that is to bad....best of luck in your quest.....Good luck!!!!! Cheers

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    hey! I'll give ya a few loons for that jr if ya don't want it !

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ain't that the truth!!!

I used two 2-10T cab or a few years, and then later upgraded to the XLTs. From what I've read in this thread so far, you're gettting very good comment and advice from fellow TBers.

One cab will work for softer gigs in smaller rooms. you may be left wanting more if you just take one cab to loud gigs in medium to large venues. just plan at adding another cab later.

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've seen all kinds of posts from people that get great results from a single 2x10 box. They can rock out, keep up with a loud drummer, do all kinds of super human things...

I gotta tell ya. I could never do it, didn't even get close. And believe me I tried. I must have gone through 4 or 5 cabs before I gave up. Not even the legendary 210 xlt.

Quiet gigs in <100 seat rooms fine but a 300 seat club playing rock??? A 2x10 has less radiating surface than a single 15 and while that isn't the only measure to go by. I am of the opinion that when it comes to low end horsepower, there's no substitute for cubic inches.

15. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    No I am keeping the jr.......just for the fact that i would never get out of it what i payed for it and + i want it for so i will have a cab or combo for just about any gig i play....wether it be a small one or large one i will have my butt covered so to speak..;) ....But thanks for the offer....:) Cheers!!!!

16. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    That's why I thought that just maybe I could get away with a 210 for now. I, as much as anyone, should know that the laws of physics still apply. To move the air, I'll have to resign myself that someone's gonna have to cart it all around. If not me, then the PA guy.

Crabby, I doubt L&M will ship the cab to Toronto unless I pay for the shipping. It's worth a try though. That combined with an efficient 15" or another Eden 210 sounds like it will work, and I like the Eden tone.

Again... thanks, guys. Nice to get in the trenches experience instead of the "I heard that" advice that's found on so many boards.

js

17. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Go to the rental section of the Long and McQuade store on Bloor St. You can rent something for a weekend at a good price and they usually have a good selection. If you like it, you can buy it. Depending on the age of the amp or cabinet, you can get a good deal. I got a pair of Yorkville 1-15 cabinets this way. One was $225 Canadian and the other $275. Both were in fairly good shape and I used them for many years with no problems. They have Eden and a few other brands too. If you go in on a Thursday evening before the weekend rental rush starts you'll find more in the store.

I haven't tried any of the other Long and McQuade stores in Toronto so I don't know what they have in stock for rentals.

There's also a store (I think it's called the Music Exchange) on Danford Road a block north of Danforth Avenue . They sell used gear mostly on consignment and you might be able to negotiate a good deal there.