Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D-210XLT - choosing impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tightanic, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hello everyone,
    A few days ago, I tried the Eden 210XLT cab in a store. Since then I am actually willing to buy that little beast, because it seems do have a very cutting tone without any harshness, but still a very well defined sound. I used a Hartke 3500 top at 4 Ohm, and it seemed to deliver more than enough volume for the room size I normally play in.
    The problem is that my amp head is a Warwick Wamp 280 (250 Wats => 4 Ohms), so i thought that buying the 8 Ohm version might reduce output from my amp too much, even though the cab is quite efficient. Buying the 4 Ohms version instead my cause trouble adding further cabs.
    Any advice?

Johannes

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    How many watts does that head put out @ 8 ohms?

I would go with two 8 ohm cabinets (= 4 ohms). More speakers = louder.

good luck:)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Amen to what Bruno says. I run two 8 ohm Edens (one is an XLT) to get 4 ohms. That runs them at their spec'd max. watt rating (300W per cab) with my amp head bridged.

They're pretty damn loud but that's not the only thing I'm after.....they still maintain their ability to handle lows and highs. In rooms where I need more, I just DI into the mains.

Of course, the Eden XLT's could take more. But I don't really care to find out where they start smoking.

To me, buying a 4 ohm cab just makes it more difficult to find a compatible cab you may want to add later that won't run your head at some kind of weird ohmage and destroy it.....(like two 4 ohm cabs @ 2.6 ohms).

Plus, IME, 8 ohm cabs are more desireable on the used market, if you ever want to sell it.

4. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    You'll probably want upgrade your amp to get more power (at either 4 or 8 ohms) before you will want to replace the 210XLT.

I recommend you get the 8 ohm version to allow for more possibilities in the future.

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    As far as i know running 2 4 ohm cabs will equal 2 ohms. Running an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab would equal 2.6 ohms. Sorry, Just being PICKY. :D

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree with the posters suggesting that you go with the 8 ohm cab.

I currently run two 8 ohm 2-10XLTs with a GK 1001rb. I initially used one 8 ohm cab, and I specifically bought an 8 ohm cab because I wanted the option of adding on another cab later. I eventually bought a second cab. One cab covers most small to medium size clubs, two cabs handle the louder medium & large rooms and the great outdoors.

Just a few other comments to help you along based on my experience. Assuming that you buy one 8 ohm cab, and later buy another 8 ohm cab... your 250 watt Warwick head will be significantly underpowering the 4 ohm load of two 8 ohm cabs. Each cab is rated for 350 watts according to the Eden web site. That means you could be running 700 watts into the two cabs. After you buy your second 8 ohm cab, you'll probably want to buy a more powerful head thereafter.

Depending on a number of factors, you'll find that your bass has much more punch, clarity, and "quick" response if your running quality speaker cabs at, or close to, their power rating. Underpowering a cab with a lower rated amp will likely result in less punch, clarity, and overall volume. Just MHO now. I'm no electronic whiz, and I think their are some TBers that can shed more details on the nuances of your situation.

Anyway, it's cool to build you rig over time. Buy one cab, add on another later on, and then upgrade your amp further down the road. hope this helps some.

7. See if you can find a place with a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab and try your amp with them. The ohm thing is not a clear cut as you one might think. The difference in volume may be only minimal. I would opt for the 8 ohm if at all possible because of its ability to be expanded.

8. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Thank you, all your thoughts sound quite reasonable and of course the 8 Ohm cab would make things easier. But there's a deal for a new D-210XLT 4Ohm at my local shop which is 100 € lower then the lowest regular price of all those huge mail-order stores in Germany.
    Initially, my idea was to upgrade to a rack system anyway (pre + power) if I ever would sell my head (the amp, of course :D ), and so impedance wouldn't be that much of a problem anymore, except the addition of further cabs which are only available in 8 Ohms. Aaargh, difficult.
    Nonetheless, there's another question concerning the "deal-cab": Is it normal that the 210XLT only has 1/4" and binding posts as inputs? In this price range I'd suspected Speakon as standart, so might this cab be rather old?

Johannes

9. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    As far as I know, Eden doesn't use Speakon jacks. I'd prefer them also.

10. rickbass

Naw, Pick, go ahead, good catch - my head was thinking "4ohm + 8ohm" and my fingers were typing "4ohm + 4ohm."

You're right.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It's normal.

They are still using 1/4" jacks and binding posts AFAIK, even on recently manufactured cabs.

I think a Speakon IN/OUT and 1/4" IN/OUT configuration would cover everyone while offering Speakon users the best possible connection.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Tightanic,

I bought my 2nd cab about a year ago, and it came straight from the factory to my dealer at the time. There are no speakon jacks, so it's safe to say that they weren't being made with speakons as of a year ago.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Since the Eden cabs have the binding post, you can also get two 4 ohm cabs and wire them in series to give you an 8 ohm total load.

I think that getting the 4ohm cab is a good idea. You can still use the most power from your head now, and if you want more speakers you can still do that too.

Maybe in the future it would be a good idea to get another head you could look into one that runs at 2 ohms, and wire them in parallel.

Either way, yuo can get alot of versatility out of this setup, and a lot of options for upgrading.

Peace
    Nick

14. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Finally somebody who understands the GASy side of my personality! My biggest problem is that I WANT to have it as soon as possible, and I'd never get the chance of buying a new unit at this price, again. BTW: Besides the 2 Ohm solution which i think may lower the damping factor of the amp significantly, there's still a huge variety of stereo-amps on the market, and I think, that this might be the way to go for me! I NEED CAB NOW, HUUUU :(

Johannes

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would get an 8 ohm cabinet. What money you may save today might cost you in the long run should you ever want/need to add another cabinet.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    According to my sources :)D), Eden will be moving to equip all of their amps and cabs with speakon connectors over the next year or so. Presently, the only amp with that ability is the WT-1000, and then only in stereo or dual-mono modes, not in bridged mono (which is only available as binding posts right now).

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thanks for the 411 Gard, that's good news. Too bad for those of us that already have the cabs, but it's encouraging to see a change in the works.

18. rickbass

But that's after the buy-out by Peavey goes through with the State Dept's approval of the Indonesian import-tariff from the Jakarta factory and they will thereafter be called, "The Hartley Series."

19. Too much!
    :D :D :D
    .....The Hartley Series, indeed....:p

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Rick...ya killin' me!

:D