Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D-210XLT vs. SWR WM 115T & 210T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'll make it short:
    Which setup will give me more volume and/or better low end response:
    1 Eden D-210 XLT (4Ohm version) or
    1 SWR Workingman's 115T + 1 SWR Workingman's 210T?
    (powered by my H&K with 400W@4Ohms)

I still don't know what to get instead of my Ampeg SVR-215, which is a bit to heavy and boomy for my taste...

Thanks for your input,
    Matthias

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I believe the Eden Will be louder..
    The Sensivity is impressive.. 105dB 1w 1M... is very high.
    And of course it will sound a lot better than a Workingman

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    you'll get better tone from the eden. but those two workingman's cabs will be louder. the extra 15 will make up for the eden's efficiency.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd look at the SWR Goliath Jr. i personally prefer the tone of that to any eden 2x10 i've played, and it comes in a 4ohm version too.

but out of those 2 choices, i'd go with the two SWR cabs...more speakers = more volume, plus the 15 will give you some added low end oomph.

jason

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    The Eden 2-10XLT is the best cab I've ever owned. It sounds better to me than the previous SWR Goliath 2 4-10 that I had before it. The only time I think it lacks is on outdoor gigs and I have another 2-10XLT for those. I don't think you could go wrong with an Eden 2-10XLT or the 4-10XLT.

Tapp

6. ColForbs

ColForbs

Jul 21, 2001
    I would go for the 2x10 xlt. I a/b it with a Triad and it was much stronger on the bottom end even though it didn't have a 15"...plus the wm cabs don't sound veryy good to me...if it was me Iwould comparing between the 2x10xlt and the Goliath Jr, and then add a fifteen later.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Not true.
    More Speakers do not necesarily mean more volume.
    We are talking about efficiency here.
    And the Eden is a lot more efficient than the other cabs mentioned, an a lot higher quality.

Also, about the 2 Workingman´s being louder.
    I dont believe so,
    Why?
    Because the Eden has a Sensivity of: 104 dB 1 Watt - 1 meter. And goes down to 36 Hz
    When the SWR have 98dB for the 2x10 and 100 for the 1x15 and goes down to 40Hz.

If you take 1 Watt and Put it at the Eden you will have 104dB´s
    If you put the same watt to the workingman´s each one will have 1/2 Watt , that means the 98dB cab will produce only 95dB and hte 1x15 will have 97dB, that will produce a total of about 98dB at 1 Watt.
    Now, you will get a slight boost in the bass because of the coupling effect, lets say you get +3dB on the bass (.. IT is STILL LOWER than the 104dB´s that the Eden will produce.. and Also the Eden will respond even LOWER than the 1x15"

I f I had a choice.. I would choose Eden.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    D210XLT. It's in a different class than the WM series (even two of them;))... and rightly so.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...i didn't know the workingman cabs were that much more inefficient than the pro series stuff.....i've only played them a few times, and thought they sounded pretty good...

but in checking out specs at swrsound.com i discovered:

SWR Goliath III jr: 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M

:D

so if we want to talk efficiency, my original suggestion still stands.

jason

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Goliath Jr III is 1db more efficient then the Eden D210XLT, but to my ears the bottom isn't as tight as the Eden's is.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Same here, Jeff.

I rely on my ears as the #1 arbiter of what I use, specs coming a distance second. The two specs I concern myself with are the most basic ones, impedance and weight;).

I don't really expect a usuable 120+ dB from my little EA VL-110;)

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    :(
    I cant use my ears to try equipment.
    I live sooo far away to the U.S. that is imposible for me to try it personally.
    I have taken the trip 1 time just to get my old rig.. (Ampeg SVT410HE and Ibanez ATK300) but that was long ago.

Now with the Distributor power and Carvin Endorsement.. Well.. I just gotta buy unheard. There is no other way to me than to rely on specs and mouth of word.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know. Sucks to be...

Just kidding:D

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for yor input.
    I guess the Eden will better suit my needs (compact and loud 'stage monitor').
    But when I played it in a store, I had the feeling that it has something like an 'artificially inflated low end' to it - I'm not sure if I like that. We'll see. On Saturday there's an in-house exhibition in one of our two largest music stores, maybe a chance to try out something new...

BTW I *have* already found the sound I'm after: my Gallien-Krueger 150MB combo w/ 112 ext. cab - unfortunately this setup is not loud enough for our pop/rock band...

Matthias