Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D115XL + D210XLT ... comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 14, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I stopped by a local small dealer who carries Eden today, just to try out a D115XL. He had one sitting under a D210XLT, which is exactly where I'd put it. I didn't have a bass with me, so I used a Spector something-or-other 5 (a very nice bass). Also, I ran it through a Warwick something-or-other head (nice amp too). Now, I've always liked the sound of the SWR Triad (one 15, one 10 and a horn), but this setup sounds like a Triad on steroids. Of course, my GAS, which is never far beneath the surface, immediately flared up. Did I buy it? No. But I wanted to. He just didn't give me the rock bottom price on it, and I wasn't in the mood to haggle, especially without mamacita's consent. So I may give him a shot at a real price or go to ... uhhhh ... ummm ... GC and get a better deal. I think I've read where somebody in here uses this setup. Any comments? Should I bear the consequences? Hmmmm?

[Edited by Munjibunga on 10-14-2000 at 07:23 PM]

2. I used to run that combination, and it sounds terrific.

The only objection I had to it was that it had a tendency to get REALLY boomy onstage. Sounded great out front though. I never did figure out how to get rid of the onstage boom, so I eventually sold them.

I doubt it's an inherent problem with them though, I think that in spite of my trying lots of different things, I simply never hit upon the solution.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use the same type of setup, with different manufacturers. Works perfectly for me...just big enough, great full range sound, hardly breaks a sweat.

4. I was in a similar situation and ended up going with a 210xlt and a 410xlt. My reasoning was I needed a system that could work in a lot of different situations. I often times play in two or three bands at a time and in those situations I can leave the 410 at one place and haul the 210 with me. The sound I get from each setup isn't dramatically different enough to where it feels like I'm playing on a different rig each time. When I use them all together, though, it sounds real full.

The other thing I struggled with is the fact that larger speakers have a farther throw to them and you often times don't get the full effect of your setup unless your standing twenty feet away. The setup I have has a pretty even sound whether your standing close to the amp or somewhere in the audience. I used to play through a 2-10, 1-18 cabinet and ran into that problem a lot.

If you want to get the best price on them, I would check out Bass Northwest and Bass Central. Their prices are almost always better then Musician's Friend or Guitar Center. I got my amp setup from Bass Central and the local guys didn't come close.

http://www.basscentral.com
    http://www.bassnw.com

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Bassin' -

Thanks for pointing that out. With the 115+210 setup, my options are to play either the 210 alone or the 210+115, but not really the 115 by itself. It turns out that I'm already using your alternate setup, a D-210XLT and a D-410XLT. With those, you're right ... I can use either one of them or both. The problem is that the silly 410 weighs 98 pounds. The D-115XL weighs only 53 pounds. I'd almost rather lug both smaller cabs than the 410 by itself. Also, while a total of six tens sounds pretty danged decent, the 15 adds a little to the bottom that even the 410 doesn't give. I really like the sound of the 210+115 setup. What an excruciating dilemma.

Also, I don't think anybody's gonna give me any lower prices than I get at GC. They always tell me that I'm gettin' my stuff below their cost.

Boy, do I need to take a leak.

6. Munjibunga-

Yeah, I hear what your saying about hauling the 410 around. They do come with removable casters, which helps me out quite a bit.

What I would do, as far as pricing, is send an email to Bass Center and Bass NW requesting price quotes on the gear your looking for. They are usually real good about replying withing 24 hrs. I would also give either of them a phone call as well, although I don't think Bass NW has a toll free line... I know Bass Center does. I think you'll find that they are a lot more knowledgable and helpful then most of the sales people at GC. At the very least, you should be able to get some pricings in writing that you can use to compare to GC.

Also, if GC is telling you they are selling stuff below their cost, I would be careful as to how much BS they're feeding you. Nobody is in business to lose money and one way or another, they'll be making a profit off you. There's nothing wrong with making a profit, but you don't need to be underhanded about it.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    There I go again, not using the smileys made available to me. I know those guys over at GC don't give me anything below their cost. I just make them say it to me so I feel good when I leave the store. Actually, I buy most of my stuff at 60 to 65 percent of list there. They're paying 40 to 50 percent of list usually (except on some items), so they make some money, and I get a decent deal. That's all I want out of life, y'know.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hey, how do you get 60-65% off of list price at GC? I always hear them say "we have the lowest price in the country" and they say that you have to bring in an ad from a competitor showing the lower price. I've just assumed that what they have listed on the tag is the lowest they will go. Somebody help me here if I'm wrong, please. Thanks!

Jerry J

9. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Jerry,

Have you ever bought a car? Never pay the sticker price unless you don't care about the money. You gotta wheel and deal...

10. Munjibunga said he gets the stuff for 60-65% _of_ list, in otherwords 35-40% off (discount). And if you're ready to buy right now, GC will do that for anyone. If the idiot salesperson you're talking to won't, ask for a Manager.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Spend about $20,000 there, and they'll be glad to give you the deal. Actually, michaeln is right. Deal with a manager. And always deal with the same guy, once you are comfortable with 'em. I deal with a manager in the guitar department, and he gets me good deals in pro audio too.

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Getting a manageable set of cabinets is what started my quest for a new system (amp and cabinets). What are the opinions of either a 210xlt+212xlt or 410xlt+212xlt?

13. How about two 2x12's? I have a 410XLT which is great, but I have GAS for a pair of 2x12's.

14. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Mungibunga.When I bought my Eden rig ( after months of comparison shopping)I had decided on the D115XLT and the D210XLT.It seemed perfect for maximum flexibility. Like you I wouldn't use the 115 alone.

Earlier in the search I had auditioned that rig and, on another day, the D410XLT.As I said the 210/115 won out largely because of portabilty.But when I walked in the store to do the deal I took one last kick at the cat and A/B'd the 410 with the 210/115.I was fortunate to have :(a) a cool salesperson who played while I stood at various distances in a pretty large store (b)the store was empty so we spent a full hour playing both rigs at every possible volume.

I walked out with the 410. I found it to be, overall, the better of the two rigs considering different distances from the "stage" and different volume levels. As for the portability... its great. Yes it heavier than a 210 but the wheels make it very easy to get around except for getting up and down stairs.And that has not been a problem.And I'm old enough that the issue of portability would be a concern.

I now use it at every gig..bill and small venues. One head and one cabinet in the back seat of my car.I am very sure I made the right choice.

PS- I don't know where the sad face came from.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Dave -

Thanks for the input. I use my D-410XLT by itself on most gigs, and it's fine. For outdoors and bigger rooms, I put the D-210XLT on top for mondo sound (six tens is pretty groovy). I was just thinking about that little change in tone that a 15 gives you. I really like the sound of the SWR Triad, and I also like the sound of Eden's CXC-1510 combo. After listening to the 210/115 Eden cab setup, I liked it a lot more. It's not really better than what I'm using now, but just a slightly different flavor. Anyway, it doesn't seem like a new cab is going to play well politically for me right now, since I'm awaiting a new Lakland in the mail, and there's a wireless mic higher on the list. Mom's just about at the edge of tolerance.

16. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Munjibunga,

When you use both cabinets (210/410), do you amp them in stereo accounting for the difference in power ratings (350/700) or do you under power the 410?

Sam

P.S. Congrat's on the Lakland.

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Munj - You must be salivating while waiting for your Lakland. Fabulous choice!!!