Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D210-XLT issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c-ba55, Jun 14, 2001.

1. I have had this cab a while and like it a lot. I have a situation I wonder if anyone can explain to me though. At low or medium volumes, I can play down to the low Bb (I have a 5-string and detune a half step) I know the cabinet isn't really rated quite that low but it works. It claims -6dB @ 35 Hz, which is C#. Bb is 29Hz.
    At loud volumes, everything still works fine, except the really low notes. If I play those, the speaker cones start to move A LOT and it sounds very bad. My amp is a GK 400RB-III, 240 watts. The cabinet is rated for 175-350 watts. The amp has a clipping light, which never goes on. The tweeter in this cab absorbs extra energy and sends it to a lightbulb, but that doesn't apply here.

My questions are
    1) is the speaker cabinet now broken?
    2) if I persist in the above behavior, will it become broken?
    3) any suggestions besides, "Don't send such a loud low signal through that cabinet?"

2. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    It sounds like it's clipping to me, low B at high volume draws a lot of power. Definately not a good thing for the speakers, if thats the problem. I know you said that the light never comes on ... have you tried to make it clip.? (Does the light work?) BTW, how many ohms on the cab.?

There are some good techie types around here, let's see what they have to say.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    No, but the loudspeaker drivers themselves could be. If they are making a rubbing sound, you may have damaged them. If not, they're probably okay.
    Possibly. And this has nothing to do with clipping. You are driving a cabinet below its resonance at a high level, seeing excessive cone excursion, and may be exposing the speakers' suspensions to undue stress. You can kill speakers rated for far more power than you're delivering by pushing them to excessive excursions at extremely low frequencies. It's not a thermal overload, it's mechanical - so wattage plays a lesser role.
    No. That would be my suggestion. If you need more lows, get bigger/more cabinets - preferably with bigger drivers (e.g. 15").
    - Mike