Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D210XST or EA NL-210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12bass, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm interested on getting some opinions on the D210XST vs. the NL-210. How do they compare in terms of tone, efficiency, etc...?

Years ago I had a D210XLT which I used with my WT500, but someone stole it, so I've been using a modified Peavey 1516 cabinet. The low-mid honk of the D210XLT bothered me, so I'm looking for something, flatter, deeper, and more open sounding. Given that I only have 500 watts, I'm wondering what these cabinets might be like with my WT500.

For the price of an NL-210 I could buy a D410XST. Would that be a better option? Any experiences with reliability of either the XSTs or EA Neodymiums?

For reference, I'll be using a Pedulla Rapture 5, Rick 4001, Dean Rhapsody 12 with a Bartolini CX, and a Hamer Chaparral 12 with Lane Poors. Sometimes I use an SVP-Pro, or a home built overdrive unit in front of the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1 ="">Eden</st1> </st1:city>for an overdriven tone. Usually however, I go straight into the WT500 for a clean tone.

Thanks All!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, first off, I am gaga about EA cabs, and they are one of the best makers out there in my book. So, it will come as no surprise to you to hear that I think that the NL-210 is a great cab. Comparing against my VL-210B, the NL-210 is most definitely a warmer sounding cab. One of the characteristics of other EA cabs (not counting the Wizzy) is that they are clear and articulate, but not as thick or phat as, say Accugroove or ACME (who are both hella thick, phat and full sounding). My old VL-210B will go deeper (and I am talking the really subterranean lows), but with the NL-210 being more full, it's a toss up as to which has "more" low end. The VL-210B probably has a tad more upper midrange clarity, but we are splitting hairs, here. The NL-210 is extremely light, and that is much appreciated. All in all, I'd say that the NL-210 is one of the most impressive 2x10's on the market. The Accugroove Tri 210L also comes to mind.

With all of that said, the D210XST is one of Eden's best cabs, IMHO. It is quite different sounding from the D210XLT, and does not have the low mid hump. It is much more balanced and articulate, and has incredibly good frequency range (on paper, at least). My playing experience is limited to one time up at Low Down Sound, and I used both an Eden Time Traveler head (the 330 version) and an older SWR head (Bass 350?). Still, I was in "critical gear audition" mode, and I recall being rather impressed. But, at the same time, I was surprised that I didn't hear more deep lows (being aware of its frequency range ahead of time) and that it wasn't louder (also being aware of the stated efficiency rating). For instance, the Epifani T-210UL that I also played through that day sounded much louder at the same volume settings, despite the fact that the Eden is rated at 103 spl, while the Epi was rated at 102. Regardless, it was a really nice sounding cab, but I did get the impression that a single D210XST wouldn't make for an indeal rig, but that two might be the cat's meow. FWIW, my other favorite Eden cab is the 212XLT, and I would think that a 212XLT/D210XST setup would make for a killer "Eden rig."

So, I would say that you have two excellent choices, there. But, if it were my money, I would go for the NL-210. A single NL-210 moves a surprising amount of air, and I was blown away at how loud and full just one of them sounded. Of course, two is even better! :D:bassist:

3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've never played the NL-210 but I played through a 210XST the other day and was blown away. My cabs are SWR Goliath Jnr III 210s and I would like to do an A/B with them and the XST to be sure but from first impressions I would say the XST was much deeper sounding than the SWRs. I don't like the Eden low mid hump and the XSTs didn't have that.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i can't say i've tried teh EA cab, but i gig with just my 210xst and i think it sounds great. great for rock IMO, my rig is in my sig.

5. Thanks for your thoughts Tom.

What I'd really like to do is get the NL-210 and D210XST side by side to see how they really compare.

Recently I was able to A/B the Eden D210XST with the D210XLT and was surprised at how much louder the XLT cabinet was, considering they are both rated at 103dB SPL. My subjective impression is that the D210XST is at least 3dB quieter, if not more. Tonally, I much preferred the XST sound.

To my ears, the XST sounds deeper, flatter, and more open, but also quieter, and less aggressive. I too wonder how a single D210XST would fare in a gigging situation as I used to have some trouble with a single D210XLT. I'm not sure the extra power handling capacity of the XST would make up for its inefficiency.

In addition to the premium price of the EA, I'm also a bit worried about the neodymium woofers in the long term. I've read that neodymium loses magnetism when overheated, which is quite conceivable for a 210 cabinet being pushed to the limits. My concern is that the NL-210 would sound great at first, but deteriorate over time. I'm curious to hear long-term reports on EA's neodymium drivers.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    While it is certainly a good idea to investigate and consider such things, I really would put aside such doubts when it comes to EA cabs. They have been researching neo drivers for years, and did not begin using them haphazardly. I would suggest that you send an e-mail (or call) John Dong at EA. He is a fountainhead of information, and extremely helpful.

7. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I am using a Eden WT-500 head with EA NL-210 and a Eden D410 XLT cabs. I bought the NL-210 to have a smaller lighter cab for smaller gigs where my 98 lb. 410XLT was overkill.

Compared to my 410XLT the NL-210 is deeper and clearer with less mid-range emphasis. I find the tweeter of the NL-210 to be a bit harsh and tend to keep it dialed way down. I enjoy the wider flatter response of the NL-210 for moderate volumes but it's lack of low-mid emphasis reduces it's punch and keeps it from cutting through in a loud band situation. Increasing mids on the WT-500 EQ in an effort to compensate produces a tone that tends to be more harsh than warm.

My current feeling is that the NL-210 may pair better with the iamp-800 which is known for having a tight low end presence. I am presently looking for one used to try out.

In the end I think you decision depends on the sound that you're trying to achieve. If you are going after a thicker (muddier) more agressive sound then stay with the Eden head and cab. If you are looking for a clearer deeper sound then go with a EA head and cab.

8. Thanks Rod,

It helps to have input from someone with some of the same gear. I'm curious that you think that the NL-210 sounds harsh. I've tried a couple of the EA amps, and thought that the 500 sounded better than the 800, but I'm not sure why. In any case, I'm not looking to upgrade my WT-500 at the moment.

How does the NL-210 handle smaller gigs?

Have you tried the D210XST? Any thoughts on the comparison?

9. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I have found the NL-210 to be harsh when I push the mids on the WT-500 EQ. This is something I have tried in order to get more lo-mid punch out of the cabinet in a loud setting. It just may be that the NL-210 and WT-500 are not the best match for each other.

The smallest gigs I've done with NL-210 have been with a loud drummer and a moderately loud guitarist. Running the WT-500 bridged mono and at 8/10 on the master I was able to get decent volume and tone.

I have never tried the D210XST so I can't really give you any input there.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have used just a single NL-210 with my iAMP 800, and I had no problem at all keeping with a hotrodded 50w Marshall (which is louder than the "standard" 100w tube Marshall our guitar player also owns) drums and vocal PA in our practice space. Very punchy with plenty of midrange presence, even the low mids. Yes, I do think that there is something to be said for the EA amp with an EA cab thing.

11. I have a 2x10 XST. Af first I wasn't really that loud at all, but I read in the instruction manual that you must play it at moderate volumes to allow the voice coils to "set themselves". I don't know if thats true or not. But I the more I played it the louder it got, and the bass response increased as well. I don't know if that has to do with them not being loud or low enough as they're specified. But its a pretty kickass cab. Another thing though. Its a pretty loud cab for a 2x10 and by no means will it compete with a full band with halfstacks...its only 2x10's!! But for stage use where a PA is used. Its more than enough volume to hearyourself. Just my .02 cents.

By the way I'm pumping 560 watts thru a BBE Bmax pre.

12. Eden 210XST's rock - very loud, heaps of bass (check their freq response specs) & fairly portable (even for a skinny guy like me)... :bassist:

If you like 10 inch cones, how can you go wrong with them? :)
    /points to sig :D