Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D215XLT anyone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spike, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Has anyone tried or got an Eden D215XLT cab?
    If so is it ok as a stand-alone cab.
    I'm sure it must have a great low end with the 2*15's, but has it also got punchy high's?
    Your comments will be appreciated.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Good question!! I'm really curious myself. Eden's web site does not even show that cabinet, yet Musician's Friend shows it in their line. If Eden does their homework (as they apparently have with some of their other cabinets), it could be a real low-end monster. My guess is it's probably not "punchy" in the mid-bass range the way you'd expect a 2x10 or 4x10 to be. My interest in the unit has more to do with covering the very bottom octave or two. If anyone has any specs on it, I'd appreciate it.
    Mike

3. Eden sent me some details.
    They didn't answer the punchy mid and highs question.

D215XLT
    unit weight 100 Lb Ship weight 119 Lb size 23x38.5x18.5 Power handling 400 Watts
    Sensitivity coverage 103 dB SPL 60 degrees patern Freq response 40 Hz- 14Khz LOUD!!!

[​IMG]

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    That's definitely a start. I wonder, did they give decibel figures, as in -2 dB or -6 dB at particular frequencies? It sounds like the unit is basically two of their 115's joined together, plus a horn. Thanks for the info.
    Mike

5. I wonder if the reason for it not being on their web site is either it has been discontinued, (not liked) or it is too new.
    I was very interested in this cab, but because it’s 4 ohm I won’t be able to add some 10’s if it didn’t have that punch I need.
    Although I had been offered one at a very good price the shop can’t let me try it live, which IMO is the only way to tell without trusted recommendation.
    Too risky to chance I think.
    If anyone else knows anything, I’ve got until the weekend to decide whether or not to sell my Hartke 410 & 115 XL's to a waiting buyer.

6. MikeyD,
    Phoned a tech. guy at Eden yesterday and he told me this cab is new in their range and in his opinion was awesome.

Tried it this morning.
    What a great sounding cab. Very punchy full range cab with more than enough mid's, and hi's that I wouldn't have expected from this type of cab.

Loved it, and bought it.
    If you get a chance, check one out.

Spike.

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for the info, Spike (that's my alter-ego's name, too). There seems to be plenty of good 10"-type cabinets (2x10, 4x10, etc.) available, and now I'm wondering about cabinets that can really rumble the very bottom like the old folded horns and dual 15" cabs of yesteryear. I'm also going to check out Ampeg's SVT-215E (specs look impressive). Their web site is at: http://express2.expressivetek.com/ampeg/. Their SVT 1540HE (1x15 + 4x10) looks pretty good, too. The Eden D215XLT looks really intriguing (and is much lighter, according to the information you provided), and the price doesn't seem too bad.

Mike

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey Spike,

Did you ever find out what the drop-off is at 30 hz? I play through a D-410XLT, and it handles my B string just fine, but I'll bet your 215 just kills down there. If I weren't such an old fart I wouldn't be able to resist the GAS this information has given me. My brain is screaming, "YES! You definitely NEED one of these" while my back is moaning "Don't be an idiot." So where did you find one, anyway?

9. No, I'm afraid I didn't. The owners manual that came with it was general to 16 of their cabs with all the specs. but didn't mention the D215XLT, strange but I guess it's because it is such a new model. The manual even recommends the speakers are run in for 4-8 hours before full power use.
    I tried a D410XLT as well today, which was great but IMO was not quite as punchy as the 2*15. I am REALLY pleased with it. Can't wait until next Friday's gig.

I know what you mean about GAS. I must stop, still it's a lot of fun and you can't take the money with you when the time comes.
    I found it at the London Bass Centre, they had only just got it in.

MikeyD,
    thanks for the Link, let me know what you think of the Apeg 2*15 if you try it, or even a comparison if you try the Eden as well. I used to have the 8*10 Ampeg which sounded great, but a pain in the arse to move it anywhere. The lads in the band actualy refused to help me with in the end and it sat at home for two years before I sold it.

Spike.

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    You are welcome for the link. Right now I'm looking at specs mostly, because I don't have convenient access to music stores carrying a lot of good bass stuff right now. I'm trying to pare down the choices before I spend a lot of time traveling to music stores.

I want to find something with a deeper response and more efficiency than my Carvin 18" cabinet. The 18" will rumble, but I have to dump incredible power into it below 50 Hz. (500 or more watts!), and it still isn't *that* loud (I lived to tell about it!). That's why I'm now looking at specs of speakers that have good low bass extension AND efficiency. Klipsch makes some impressive cabinets (primarily for theatre applications), but they are rather large (and I drive a very small station wagon). I checked out Mesa/Boogie's web site this morning, and they have some good-looking cabinets, but give no specs, so they are out of the running unless I stumble across one in my (limited) travels.

That Ampeg 810 would be great if I were playing just rock, but I do funk, fusion, and jazz mostly, and I want something with a deeper low end (the Ampeg SVT 810 is flat only down to about 60 Hz., according to Ampeg). I know what you mean about getting help moving stuff. Back when the Hammond B-3 organ was popular, a band wouldn't be a band if the other people didn't help out! Weight is sort of a secondary consideration right now: I'm primarily concerned with good frequency response, efficiency, and reasonable size (the Ampeg 810 or 215 is about as big as I can deal with presently, so the big folded horn will have to wait!). :)

And, no, Eden's 810 and Ampeg's PR810H aren't on my list - at over 200 lbs. (91 kg), those would be no fun to move up/down stairs! Thanks again for posting the information and your appraisal of the Eden cabinet.
    Mike

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Spike - now that you've had the Eden 215 for awhile, how do you like it? I've still not heard either it nor the Ampeg SVT215; but I've been thinking about both relative to specs. Eden finally updated their web site, and the 215 appears there (the XL and XLT, with tweeter). I'm starting to gravitate toward the Eden, because the cost is competitive with the Ampeg, and their frequency response and sensitivity are similar, but the Eden is a bit smaller and lighter, which puts it at an advantage. I am not as concerned about getting the XLT, since my rig already has 10's and a tweeter. But what I'd like is something that really handles the chest-pounding low bass chores superbly. Is the Eden 215 the ticket? Is it really as efficient as they claim on the low end? Do you think it can put out a strong low B (31 Hz)? Can you compare/contrast it with other cabinets you have heard? The reason I ask is: it seems somewhat unlikely that I'll get a chance to hear or play on one, and they are available via mail-order, so I might risk an order if people's appraisals of the cabinet are really convincing. Anyone else out there with experience with this product?

Thanks!
    - Mike

12. I know it's not really what you asked about, but at a recent show I played through someone else's rig, which consisted of a Mesa Boogie Road-ready 2x15 and Ashdown ABM500. The low end response was incredible, and it sounded better than the Ampeg 2x15. I have come to the conclusion that for rock and roll, Mesa cabinets cannot be beat; however, I played through a pair of GK 410RBH cabs the other day and was amazed. I am surprised more people don't use them. The sensitivity is 106 db, which is the same as the Eden 410XLT if I remember correctly. I was pushing a pair of them with a 340 watt GK head with no problem.

Back to the subject - if you like the Ampeg 2x15, try the Mesa. I'm thinking about dumping my 2x10 1x15 rig and buying one myself.

13. Mike,
    Had the D215XLT about 10 weeks now and still love it.
    I gave up playing five strings a couple of years ago so can't in all fairness comment about the low B with this cab, but it is an Eden and I would be very surprised if it wasn't more than adequate.
    I would hate to recommend it to you, and you then not like it. Pity you can't try one first.
    Of course if ever you're in London....

Matthew,
    I also use an Ashdown ABM500 with the D215XLT but also have a Mesa 1516BE which has a 15, 10, 2 x6 and a bullet horn. It too is a great cab, very punchy and loud.
    I find it impossible to choose between these two cabs although I think the Eden has a little more bottom end.
    As both cabs are 4 ohms I can't use them together unless I slave my Hartke 3500 to the Ashdown, but then it is the best sound I have ever had in over 20 years of playing.
    Problem is that many of the gigs we do are just not large enough, plus it's a real pain to hump both rigs around.

I still have my Hartke 410XL and 115XL, which I use occasionally, but although they're quite good, I feel there is something lacking after using the Mesa and Eden.

Spike.

14. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Matthew and Spike, thanks for your responses. I've heard great things about Mesa, but their web site is almost useless in terms of technical detail. I also do not know any dealers around, nor any mail-order places which stock their bass gear. If anyone can advise on Mesa bass gear dealers (mail-order or in/near NH, USA), please let me know. I would also like to see some specs on their cabinets, if anyone knows where they may be found.

I've heard great things about Bag End, but the story is similar to Mesa's. At least Bag End's web site is more forthcoming about technical specifications.

Regarding GK, I guess I'll have to see more positive reviews of their stuff. I've seen a lot of negative press about Gallien-Krueger, so I wonder if the company suffered a bad period. One hopes that they are coming out of that, and Matthew's comment suggests this might be the case. I'll be cautiously watching, meanwhile.

There is an Eden dealer less than 1 mile from my house, but they only keep the most minimal sample of Eden cabinets on the floor. I even asked them to call if they got a 410XLT in house so I could hear it, but never got a call back! So, for this and other reasons, I'm sort of comparison shopping on paper, at least initially. What I might wind up doing is mail-ordering a cabinet (e.g., from Musician's Friend or similar) based on people's comments, etc. with the understanding that I can return it if I don't like it. Several mail-order places allow this. Anyway - I'd love any further comments on the Eden 215 cabinets. If the 215 is efficient, flat down to at least 40 Hz., and smooth-sounding (as Eden's specs suggest), I might be tempted to take the plunge.

Spike - you might try detuning the E string down to low B just to see how well the cabinet holds up down there. Thanks!

- Mike

15. Mike,
    Sorry for the delay, but the cab was in our bands lock up.

Anyway, tuned my E string down to B to do this test, and considering the string being rather floppy the cabs low response was excellent with more clarity than I would have expected.

Also two pro Bassists have heard my D215XLT at a couple of gigs and both loved the sound. One of them has put an order in with the UK distributor and has a two month wait, the other one says he will get one when he sells his SWR 4x10 in the new year.
    These guys heard the same amp setup with my Mesa and Hartke cabs before I got the Eden.

As I said before, I find it hard to choose between my Mesa & Eden cabs, although being less expensive I think the D215XLT is better value.

Hope this helps

16. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Spike, thanks for your post - and for testing "low B". Your comment about other bassists' liking the sound was interesting. I talked to my local Eden dealer the other day, and it seems that he's unwilling to stock much more than 2 Eden cabs; he also says Eden hasn't been very forthcoming with information either (e.g., he wasn't aware that they have come out with the 215 and he only had a 1999 price list). So... I may be tempted to order the 215 via a mail-order dealer pretty soon. I have often thought Eden's stuff was very pricey (particularly the 4x10 cabs), but I'm finding that their 1x15 and 2x15 equipment is rather competitive price-wise.
    - Mike

17. Go for the SWR BIG BERTHA! It pounds!!!!

18. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a huge low-end without needing thousands of watts, which means efficiency and great frequency response.... According to SWR's web site:
    >> Frequency Response (Big Bertha): 100 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-6dB @ 40Hz and 15 KHz)
    ...whereas the Eden 215 claims 103 dB SPL and -2dB (I believe) @40 Hz. This means the SWR requires twice the power for the same general volume, and its low-end frequency response is somewhat weaker. I'd probably need about 4 times the power input to get the same SPL at 41 Hz. as I would with the Eden 215. An additional factor is the price: MF's price for Big Bertha is $1000, whereas the Eden 215XLT is $760 (and the 215XL is probably around $700). I'm sure the SWR is a nice cabinet, but its specs and price aren't very compelling in comparison to others.
    - Mike

19. Does anyone know what the specs are on the Mesa 2x15? They have virtually no info on their webpage.

20. Ive played them side by side. Most of the specs that you see
    for speakers are incorrect! There are too many variances. Such as the measurement tools. Unfortunately there is no way to have a unified calibration method for measurement.
    The SWR is way more efficient than the Eden. It will handle lower power, if needed. The general rule of thumb for speakers (especially subwoofers) is to double the continous power to find an appropriate amp. It is not necessary but will give you the best performance.
    Also look at the Son of Birtha. Its small, clean and very efficient. Its all opinion, but specs are not the only way to qualify speakers and amps. Its a good starting point, but go and try the stuff. Let your ears be the judge.