Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden D215xlt vs. Mesa powerhouse 1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davo737, Nov 18, 2000.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, I've narrowed my new cabinet selection down to either an Eden D215 xlt or a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two cabs? I am particularly interested in experiences related to low B string response. I will be running it with an Eden WT-300. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David

2. I have never tried the Mesa Powerhouse 1000, but do have a Mesa 1516BE and an Eden D215XLT.
    Both of these are exceptionally good punchy cabinets and I find it very difficult to choose between them.

If handling power is top of your list the Mesa might be the best option for you at 1000w. (I'm not sure if this rating is peak or RMS.)

The D215XLT is rated at 400w RMS but I don't have any peak figures for this cab. At a guess I should think it would be at least 800w, although Eden told me a couple of days ago that this new model will be on their web site next week with its specifications.
    It is a fairly light cab for the size at about 100 pounds, and has two recessed wheels at the back similar to the Ampeg SVT810 system.

My Mesa cab is extremely heavy and has gone through 4 sets of wheels in the last six years, no other problems though.

Tough choice to make.

BTW, how much does the D215XLT cost in the U.S.?

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks for the info, Spike. Do you happen to play a five string? I'm curious as to how the D215xlt handles the lower frequencies. The best price quote I've received on it is $660 US. I was a bit suprised as I expected it be be higher.

Regards,
    David

4. Davo737,
    Went back to four strings and sold my five's before I got the D215XLT so I can't honestly comment, but it is an Eden so I would be surprised if low B response wasn't more than adequate.
    Here are the details I kept from an email that Eden sent me before I bought it.

" The Cab. specs are :
    dB SPL 103 1W1M, 400 Watts RMS,38 Hz to 17KHz response. [Dave] "

Hope this helps.

Also Eden are very helpful over the phone, might be worth giving Dave a call.
    We were only talking about this cab a few days ago.
    Tell him Mike Foster from London recommended the cab, and suggested that you phone him.
    Quite a few bass friends in the UK have become interested in this cab since hearing mine. At the moment as it is so new, according to UK agents, I have the only one in the UK. until the next shipment comes in.

Disclaimer, I have no link with Eden apart from liking their products. :D

BTW, Good price in the U.S. Here in the UK they cost £699.(approx $1000)

Spike.

5. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Spike, again, thanks for the info. I have spoken with them over the phone before concerning a different matter, and they were quite helpful; so, I will most definately call them about this. Thanks again.

Regards,
    David