Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D410T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I went to a local music so my guitar player could take some pictures of some of the gear they have so he could put them on Harmony Central (he helps the shop no the side to sell stuff on HC for a commission). Anyway, after looking around and setting up the items to take photo’s of I decided to go down stairs (where they keep the amps and mixers) to check out what's new, to my surprise they had an Eden D410T there, never having tried this particular model out I was all over it. I hooked it up to a Fender 800 that they had sitting there (which I might ad is quite a bit better then what I expected it to be), set everything flat pulled a MIA P-bass off the hanger and powered up. This cab is very nice sounding, full, tight and mega punch and very efficient. I demoed it for about 30 minutes running everything I had through it and everything I could throw at it, it replicated amazingly. I wasn't too fond of the tweeter, but I kept it dialed up a little bit to get a little snarl but to my ears on too much was just annoying. Here's the catch of the story and I need some advice on what to do. The cab is an early 90's model, and it is used, but is still in great shape, they would take $240 for it, to me seems like a great price, but I wanted to run it past my brothers and sisters here at TB to get your opinion on it. Also how would it mesh with my D215XLT that I already have, the efficiencies on these two cabs is about 2db different the 215 being 103db and the 410 being 105db? Thanks for reading, please ring in, I can only hold it for one week before there is a chance that someone else may buy it.
    Thanks
    Peace
    -Ben

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The price seems pretty damn good from what Ive seen.

The 4-10 is gonna probably sit in the mix nicely since it has less speaker surface but more efficiency. What kind of an amp are you using into this? If its got two seperate output chanels then you can blend in as much of either one you want. Worse case scenario, I might pick it up from you for that price if you dont like it.

Peace
    Nick

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's a great deal...If I saw one at that price around me, I would have snagged it immediately (to go with my 410xlt). I usually have my tweeter turned off, but it's nice to have on occasion.

Are both speaker cabinets the same impedence? (Is the 410T 8 ohms? Is your 215 also 8 ohms?) If they're both 8, I don't think the different efficiencies will be a problem. If they are different, than the one that's 4 ohms will draw more power and will be louder. If they're both 4 ohms, just make sure it'll work with your rig (I haven't looked at your profile to see what amplification you're using).

If you get it, it'll be great to have a choice about what speaker configuartion to do for which gig (or band).

If you buy it and change your mind...put me in line behind Nick man.

Marshall

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I will be using a QSC PLX-1602 to power them, just wondering how I should set it up, the D215XLT is 4 ohms and the D410T is 8 ohms I know I could run each one on seperate channels and just equal the volume out on the power amp, but I'm unaware of the best way to hook it up (only been fiddling with a power/pre set up for like 4 or 5 months now). Thanks for the help/advice/comments.
    Peace
    -Ben

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, put each cab on a different channel and level the volumes that way.

Peace
    Nick

6. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    $240!!! That's a damn good price. I'm selling mine for $500 on consignment at a local shop. I wouldn't be able to let mine go for that much. Even the shop offered me $350 if I was going to sell it to them outright.

7. I had the opportunity to buy a WT-500 and a D410T from a local shop for $300 each a couple years ago. I passed at the time because I didn't realize what a great deal that was. Once I found out (thanks to TB, I think), I went back to the store to buy them and they were gone. I was pissed.

Trust me, buy that cab right away. Unless it's broken, it's worth much more than $240. You'll be able to balance it with the 215XLT quite easily with the PLX, and you'll have another kickass standalone cab.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Worth repeating!

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I bought a '96 410T in almost mint, for $400. It's a GREAT cab. I've pumped Low-B's through it, and it's never broken up or creased on me. A great, solid cab. $240 is a steal! One thing to look for is cone creasing, this is fairly common on Edens.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    That's a better price than what a D-210T would go for. I just put together a D-210T and D-115T (with an SWR SM-400 amp) and they blend very nicely. It's hard to tell that they sound different until you turn one off to check. A 215 + 410 rig might be more than you'd ever need though.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a 410/215 rig, and it Kills. I might someday if I need to replace the existing 215 with a Eden 215XLT.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Make sure you check out the 10s for creasing. Take/borrow a flashlight and look at the cone of each speaker, near the surround to make sure that they haven't been damaged.

If the speakers are all OK, I'd buy that cabinet in a heartbeat!!!

13. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all of the info guys, it's greatly appreciated. I wanted to run that by you guys first just to see if my idea of a good deal was similar to yours ;). I should be going back to the shop sometime this week before Thursday to demo it again with my bass as well as a couple others on hand and my pre/power set up and see what it sounds like.

romeoarmada and BillyB_from_LZ thanks for the heads up on creasing, I've read a bunch about Eden’s and that notorious problem. I plugged that cab in with a Fender 800 head that they had there which was 800 watts @ 4 ohms, but I'm unsure of what it is rated at for an 8 ohm load, didn't have a chance to look but I would estimate it being around 530 watts which is just under the 410T's rms of 540 watts. Anyway I turned master volume to about 12 o'clock a few times to see how loud it got with the gain at a minimal setting and it got way loud without break up. I will check for creasing though when I go this week just to make sure.

More info to come later in the week, keep chiming in if you have anything new to say! :)

Thanks
    Peace
    -Ben

14. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I don't know the nature of creasing, but say one or two of the drivers are creased would it be worth $240 + sending to Eden to be re-coned? If all four of the drivers were creased would it be worth getting them re-coned? These questions are based on me paying $240 for the cab as is. I still have check out the speakers though.
    Thanks again
    Peace
    -Ben

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If two woofers were bad, it would probably still be worth the price... I once bought a used Goliath II that was in fine shape except I thought that two of the speakers were blown. I paid $200 for it.

Turns out that one of the wiring terminals was loose so once I tightened that up, it was as good as new!

Here's a picture of what a creased cone can look like. Notice the irregular white-ish line on the cone near the surround. If you see something like this, the speaker is damaged and must be reconed. You can use it for a while but ultimately, the speaker will fail and need to be reconed.

16. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright so I got the cab today, and it's just amazing, in great condition, a little carpet fuzz here and there and the back jack plate is a little scratched but comeon it's an early 90's, other then that awesome. I just need to vaccume the carpet on the outside to get some small fuzzies and hairs off. One question though, the cones are perfect, no noise when you push them in, and no creasing, but they have some dust on them, how would you recommend getting it off?

EDIT: I have another question, after looking at the Eden Website I noticed that mine is a bit different then the one they have pictured there, the Eden logo is white and is in the lower left coner instead of gold and in the upper left, also instead of having the gold horn it has a silver horn? Did they change designes at some point, some history on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Peace
    -Ben

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got this tip from talbass.

Rub the carpet on the outside of the cab with those yellow kitchen gloves. It takes off animal hair and I bet it'll work for most other stuff.

As far as the speaker cones go, just play and Im sure the dust will fall off on its own. If not just gently dust it with a towel or something.

Peace
    Nick

18. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Which music shop is this? I think I might have to take a trip back home and steal it from you ;) Maybe they will give me a deal on my carvin 410 hahaha

buy buy buy duder!

BTW what pre are you using? I knew you had a Ampeg SVP-BSP but had heard you had to part with it for a CRAZY low price. Sorry to hear that.

19. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Nick Man, I'll take your advice on the yellow dish washing gloves and try that. Also I'll let the dust play off, it's nothing major just a little bit.

until.tomorrow. (andy) The store I got the cab from is Lincoln music in Killwaukee, they have some nice bass' there but really don't have much for bass cabs, I found this on a whim that it was there as a trade in for some other gear (the guy wanted to go to a smaller set up, actually he bought a combo). They mostly have Peavey cabs, but they have some old school EV stuff, they are a QSC dealer as well as Peavey so you can get mixers, power amps, and PA equipment there for a really good price (new QSC PLX 1602 for $580). I'm unsure what kind of deal they would give you on that Carvin cab because it really doesn't have much demand (kind of the situation I was in yesterday when I swapped my Steve Vai wah for some strings and stuff) that it's not too in demand, so even though it was brand new and I payed $120 for it, they would only give me $50 in store credit. You'd be better off either having them sell it on consignment where you will get a better price. They are great people there, with the $50 they gave me for the pedal I got a 30 ft cable, two 3ft unshielded amp to cab cables, a pack of Fender pure Nickle round string (med light 100-.45) a dozen dunlop yellow pics, and I still have $15 instore credit. :D

I picked up an SVT-PRO for real cheap but for some reason it's not working, gonna take it into sound logic in Madison and have it checked out, until then I'm just using the effects send on the Session bass head to feed the power amp. I eventually want to sell the SVT-PRO and get something a little nicer, with a warmer cleaner tone. I'm also thinking about swapping the PLX out for a RMX (weight isn't a problem for me and the RMX 2450 I believe is the same price but will give me more watts. I go through to much gear haha!

peace
    -Ben

20. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I always take stuff into uncle bob's tech, Ihor, here in Milwaukee. He's Nice and he wears gold chains!