Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden D410XLT damaged by UPS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deluxeg, Oct 1, 2005.

1. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but this one seems a good choice. I recently purchased an Eden D410XLT on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7350158681&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I received the cab on friday and it was packed well, and there was no damage on the outside. I go to plug it into my amp and when I put the 1/4" plug in it doesn't catch anything, like I just put it into an empty hole. So I take the jackplate off and I discover that the crossover board has broken off of the jackplate.

I emailed the guy and he say's it was perfect when he shipped it, so it must have been damaged in shipping and that I should file a claim. UPS wants me to repackage the cab in the original packaging and they want to come pick it up and take it away to inspect the package, well I basically destroyed the package getting the cab out, and I don't really want to have them take it where it could be damaged again.

The cab works, I can plug it in if I take off the jackplate. So I come to the talkbass experts, does anybody think this damage was caused by shipping it, or is the guy pulling my chain. Also, how much would it cost to get something like this fixed. Pictures of the damage below.
    [​IMG]

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    the only help i can offer is get a quote from an electronics dude before you do anything, might be worth to shell out 50 bucks to avoid a hassle with big brown. know what i mean?

3. The construction of the jackplate looks like it's intended to break...

I have no opinion on the question original owner vs. UPS, but it was bound to happen sometime...

By the look of it they're "disconnecting" jacks, so when nothing is in them they're bypassed in the circuit.
    That makes fixing it yourself a little harder, but still the best choice IMHO.
    If You do it with wires between the little board (and securing the board somewhere inside) and the jack plate it will even last a while (better construction than original).. :)

If You feel really uncomfortable with a little soldering You can let a repairman fix it.
    It shouldn't cost that much - easy job and ~10$ material.

Good luck - with UPS, the seller, soldering, or having someone do it for You!

/Ff

4. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I was also thinking about just supergluing it, does anybody think that would work?

5. That would probably be really unreliable. Maybe epoxy it on, but your still taking a chance bringing it out places. Try contacting Eden for a jackplate swap.

6. I don't know how you could possibly drop it hard enough to damage the cab without damaging the cardboard it was packed in. My vote is it was damaged before it was shipped. But if its a simple cheap fix, its less hassle to just fix it if all you need is a new backplate.

Randy

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can get those exact jacks at Parts Express for a buck or two each. Just swap them out, it's far less trouble than screwing around with UPS or the doofus who sold it to you. No way that happened in shipping, virtually the only way that could occur is if the cab was tipped over with a cord plugged in.

8. Maybe it was tipped over with a cord plugged in during shipping? ;)

My rule of thumb, if the cardboard box wasn't damaged, nothing too bad happened during shipping.

Randy