1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden DC210XLT Metro - initial thoughts on used amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aggieactuary, Apr 9, 2010.

1. aggieactuary

aggieactuary

Mar 31, 2010
    I just bought a used David Eden DC210XLT Metro combo. I paid $400. It didn't come with the footswitch or casters.

I don't know the age on it, but I sent an email to Eden with the serial number to try to get some info there. The guy I bought it from estimated 10 years old.

I haven't really cranked it yet, but he played it at a pretty good volume and it seemed fine. My neighbor situation doesn't allow me to turn it up at home. I'll let you know how it sounds when I let it loose at my buddy's.

I'm not sure if the speaker off switch and headphone output are broken, but I can't get either to work.

Also, there was something funny going on until it warmed up for a few minutes. If I remember correctly (I'll write it down if it happens again), when I was plugged into the 2nd channel and switched over to the 1st channel the sound would sort of fade in and out and there was a scratchy sound. I may have that mixed up, but there was definitely the sound of the bass going in and out and a scratchy sound.

I was worried, but I couldn't get it to happen after a little while. And just sticking to one channel or the other seemed fine as well.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on there?

I'll try to isolate the issue if it happens again.

It's pretty heavy, but I can manage it. I did order casters from Eden. Just because I can handle it doesn't mean I want to.

I'll give more info on tone and volume when I can really play it.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't know too much about Eden combo amps. You paid 1/4 of the current model price and these are now discont. at ZZounds. It was rated at 500watts which is high for a combo. I'd take it to a shop and see what they can do for you. You really don't have that much into it but $$$ is $$$.

BawanaRik likes this.
  3. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    You got a sick deal. Even if you throw a couple hundred into fixing it, it will CRUSH any other combo out there for the price. I miss mine but the size was just too much.

This amp, especially the late 90's models are nearly perfect, tone wise IMO.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner like DeoxIt into the channel changing switch and work the switch a number of times--maybe there is an oxidized contact. (Cleaning all the other jacks and pots would be a good idea too.) If I recall correctly the channel switching is also controlled by the footswitch, and it's just a stereo two-button switch, so if you can find one try changing channels from the footswitch. Good luck,

5. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Go to the Eden Forum and you'll have their forumites tripping over themselves to help you out. Best!

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    maybe it needs a new tube?

7. probably needs a new tube, as one channel is tube pre and the other is not. so that would be the most obvious answer to the problem of one channel acting funny.

8. $500 is a wicked deal. I had a Metro, and its a wicked amp.
    Try some contact cleaner. David Eden puts very wimpy speakers in their combo amps, such that you can easily blow them at even 60% volume. So you have to watch for repaired or blown speakers.