1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden E300T Bass Tube Amp.. Anyone played through this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 3, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Was wondering if anyone has played on this? what kind of sound and at 300 watts of tube does it really thump? Finding these discontinued and cheap on ebay. Have a swr 800 going at 750 watts into 2x12 avatar 1000 watt cab. would 300 tube watts get me just as loud?

2. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    It depends on what kind of tube sound you are looking for. The Eden sounds warm and growly, not particularly grindy (unless you push the overdrive button and crank the gain). I have mine connected to a 4x10” Eden cab, the E410 which was specially designed to match the E300T (also discontinued already). I play mainly club gigs and sometimes medium sized venues. It gets me heard… But is it ear deafening loud? No. I don’t know how loud your rig is, but I figure it could very well be louder.

Tom

3. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    The volume level you are experiencing is also related to the cabinet you are using. The E series cabinets are less efficient than the D series Eden cabinets. Specifically, the E410 you have is rated at 100 db SPL at 1W/M while the D410XLT is 6 db louder (same as running 4x the power through the E series cabinet). I suspect that if one were to run a E300T head through a D410XLT, there would be no complaints regarding volume level, except for your guitar player telling you to turn it down :smug:

Cheers,
    Duff2

4. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Oh but Duff, I'm not complaining about my volume level. It's not deafening loud, but that's a positive thing because I don't want to be deaf! :smug:
    There’s more than enough dB coming out of my E410, and I play in a quite loud hard rock band with a guitarist using a Hiwatt DR103.

I guess it was Eden’s goal with these cabs to be able to crank the E300T up so one can enjoy that creamy full power tube drive, without damaging everyone’s eardrums… I’m a sensible guy, you know :eek:

Like I wrote before (somewhere…): the Eden E300t + E410, a match made in heaven! This cab is more than loud enough for club gigs and medium sized venues. On bigger stages there’s a monitor system and PA support anyway.

5. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Question:

My answer:

The point I wanted to make was: is it that important to be LOUD-loud? :help:

I can imagine a 700w SWR with such a good 2x12" cab is very loud... But I was not really clear I guess :p

6. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Wow, didn't the Eden E300T just come out?

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I was worrying about room wise sound during rehearsals, i mean you can play on a practice amp live thanks to the house system. But i always heard people playing on 200Watt amps in practice and i never found that possible. I just want tube sound without having to crank it to 11. i find it sickening that a guitarist can play a 30 watt tube and be too loud where as bass always need tons of power.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    :confused:

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...after reading as much as I can find about the E300T I've come to the conclusion that with some possible/probable minor differences, mainly re-badging, the E300T is in fact the same as the Fame/Ashton/Smarvo(?)...

...so the question for me becomes, not is it some sort of really excellent amp/head that's close to being on par with a Mesa/Ampeg/Aguilar/Trace/(whatever other name you want to add), but is it worth the price that it is going for?...

...and the answer that I have reached is that yes, it probably is (although the last part of the equation is how well it holds up & that's still an unknown)...actually, I think if you press the point I believe that the Eden can be had for a decent bit less than even the prices it's going for currently...

...so now it's, do I want to spend my money on this decent/good (but certainly not great) deal?...or do I want to spend more money on a better tube amp/head?...and, lol, I haven't made a final decision...but at least if I do pick up an E300T, I'm going into it with my eyes wide open...

10. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    These amps share a common architecture, but the preamp of the Eden is voiced differently than the others (evident by an auditory comparison or a visual inspection of the preamp boards). This is what affects the sound of the amp the most, so I'd hardly call that a simple rebadging.

Cheers,
    Duff2

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This is true. Ear tuning the pre-amp by a designer you'd expect to pay for. It's an artistic statement from the designer and all the previous customers of theirs.

12. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Hey shawshank

Never mind that post... didn't mean something bad or so :)
    It was just an explenation to Duff2 for my first answer.

But yes, the E300T should be loud enough for rehearsals. Well, it's loud enough in my band anyways and we play hard rock. And also never mind cranking a tube head up to full. A good tube amp sounds great when cranked!

And you're right: it is outrageous that guitarists can play with nice tube toys like the Orange Tiny Terror and so on... :crying:

13. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    +1

...and David N. did a great job on this one :)

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have one, and you will find it MUCH louder than your SWR.

15. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    I have an SWR 350 and the Eden 300T is louder in some ranges like mid lows and mids. It seems like the 300T has a more stable dB line across the whole spectrum, where the SWR drops out in certain rages. Cant speak for the 750, I cant believe you only use 2x 12's @4 ohms? that's 375 watts per speak..

16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    My 2x12 is 1000watts 500 per speaker

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The other feature the output section of this amp has is metering points and adjustment pots directly on the back to let the user reset the bias themselves.

Tube techs are rare and costly. They are not teaching tubes in tech schools, and other industries have dropped tube use so there no cross industry skills transfer. Tube testers are rare and the best place to check them is right in the circuit they're working in. This amp provides the measuring points right on the back. People can better maintain their own amps now. Good meters, with appropriately insulated leads are not expensive these days. A good meter will result in fewer trips to techs, lower maintenance costs. And piece of mind you can adjust and change tubes on the gig.

I'll bet forums will have bias suggestions for tricks like "long life" versus "hi-fi" for those who want a choice. (Just like the Markbass head offers)

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's the speaker cabs ratings, not the actual wattage being pushed through them. I think what the previous poster was saying is, that if your speaker cab is an 8 ohm model, you're NOT getting the full wattage from your amp. Or, if it's a 4 ohm cab rated for 1000 watts, only 375 watts are going through each spkr. Doesn't matter either way, so long as it sounds good to you.