1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden Electronics, part 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 12, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks! And............ :laugh:

2. This year marks 20 years since I purchased my first Eden gear. This year is also the first year in 20 years that I have had no Eden gear in my stable. Bit sad really. I had way too much gear, and something had to give. No doubt I'll pick some up again done day.

murphy likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Well, finally got a chance to play a larger room with my little amp. This is in a two story building and we're just doing old standards to warm up. We were on the bottom floor and a guitar player told me he heard the bass clearly upstairs! Lol. Even more amazed the sound that comes out of the two Eden EX110's and my GK MB500. I'm very tempted to bring my MB200 to see how loud it will get in a medium room. But with the MB500 the amp wasn't even on 9:00 or 3 Master, and the gain was about 12:00.

Here's our version of Little Wing. The guitarist lost his voice while singing it...

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Well hey guys! What's up? Everyone stop buying Edens?

Well an update. I bought an Eden Terra Nova for my EX110 double stack, and it DID NOT fit on the cabs at all. It was about an inch too wide for my cabinets. Couldn't get it to sit right. The sound was awesome, but the head slid around on the cab when I played. And I'm actually sad to say, I really preferred the sound of my GK MB500 instead. Course it's double the power. But even my little MB200 sounds great. Still, nothing can touch the EX110's for the potency for such small cabs.

Here's a pic of the Terra Nova I bought from a very nice TB'er a while back.

eden terra nova.

My Eden double stack with my MB500.

IMG_3231.JPG

I'm now using the newest Ibanez SR400 with the PowerSpan pickups. The SR400 is much hotter sounding and hot rodded compared to the SR500. I still like the SR500 but the 400 is my go to bass for now. I'm probably going to swap out the Bartolini's on my SR500 for a pair of PowerSounds from Ibanez Parts Store. Much sweeter and hotter sounding pickups.

5. I tried an Eden WTDI from a friend and really liked the sound. But now there's the Eden Terra Nova Module. The Terra Nova has a Tuner output, and an switchable FX loop so I can get my digital FX out of the chain when not used. So I'm thinking about buying one in stead of the WTDI. Does anyone know how it relates soundwise to the WTDI? There's very little info or reviews about the Terra Nova Module online. Is it soundwise about the same as the WTDI but with more features?

6. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Hi Wilmar,
    i would give the TN module a try.
    It has the Eden sound like all the TN series products.
    Rock on!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. Thanks, I already ordered it. Hope to give it a test drive this weekend.

8. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Alright, let me hear what you think!

9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sorry to butt into your conversation, but I felt the GK sound module was hotter and more punchy than the Terra Nova. I know I'm talking the amp but I believe it's the same front end as the pedal. I am trying to use it out to get used to the sound and maybe with some experimentation I can get more out of what I want out of it. The GK's on the flip side, are nearly plug and play. Everything straight up. Maybe adding some drive at times.

10. I did take a look at the GK Plex Preamp but though a very versatile unit it had to much overlap with my other pedals. I wanted something to be the center/hub of my pedalboard. I already have a Zoom B3n, Korg tuner, TC Spectracomp. With the Terra Nova I can put the the Zoom in the switchable FX loop so it's out of my chain when not needed (the GK fx loop is not switchable). And I like the fact that the Eden is analog. The GK is a digital unit with means an extra ADA conversion in the chain. I know the Spectracomp is digital too. But putting that one in the FX loop too I can get an all analog circuit with switchable digital FX. And the tuner can go into the Tuner Out of the Eden. So, that's why I chose the Eden.

Actually the Zoom was my alway's on pedal until I tried a Eden WTDI from a friend and heared a improvement in dynamics and clarity of my sound leaving the Zoom out. It a little difference though, the Zoom is actually a very good processor. I'm really curious to try the pedalboard as described above and of course with come back with the results at this place :).

TomB and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks like I will keep the EC28 for home and as my monitor at church.

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've been intrigued with the Eden EC28 combo. Can you expound a little on it? Is it heavy or large for a small living room practice amp? Do you like the sound? Does it get loud? Thanks!

13. Has anyone in the club got any experience with the new er P series cabs- the P1515 in particular has got my attention.

Also- has all cabinet manufacturing shifted to Britain- or just the P series?

Thinking seriously about joining the garden this year.

Thinking about that P1515 or a 610xst.

Cheers!

14. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Hi,
    D and P series cabs are now build in the Marshall factory in GB.
    Rock on!

Daniel Piper and alaskaleftybass like this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    That is very cool! ;)

16. phulcrum

phulcrum

May 20, 2008
    I've been playing through an Eden WT300 since I started playing 10 years ago. I currently have it paired with an Eden D210XLT and a Phil Jones 8B. I am on a quest now to lighten my rig so I am looking at unloading the cabs and getting two Schroeder 12PL's. I am also thinking of picking up an Eden WT550 to get a little more headroom. The trusty WT300 will move to backup/practice status. I am pondering jumping ship and moving to an Aguilar AG700 though. I don't change gear often, if ever. Please interject if anyone has any advice. I play mostly jamband/improv rock type stuff.

17. Never tried Aguilar but I think of my WT550 as a Swiss Army Knife. With two 4 ohm Cabs : 210XST, 212XLT it's covered everything from small gigs with 1 cab up to open air Concerts playing solid C/Rock.

I thought the open air would give me a chance to blow some dust out of the vents
    but even there with the Master just under 12 o'clock I was asked to turn it down a touch. Tone is just Excellant.

I've gad it 12 yrs and think they're good value though I know nothing about the quality/reliability after David left.

Cheers Maurie.

18. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    alaskaleftybass and FingerDub like this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    One of these days I'm going to get a pair of Schroeder 12+L's to go with my GK MB500. But I have yet to find my 2 x 110EX cabs not able to do the job. This summer I have some loud outside gigs coming up... But to be fair, I find Eden cabs pretty excellent performers. Can't seem to part with them! :D

EDIT== you might try two Eden EX112 cabs. Louder and deeper yet still only 30 pounds each.

20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Eden updates anyone? For myself, I played with my EX110's from the summer through the holidays -- both indoors and outdoors, and I have to say they performed admirably. The outdoor shows has FOH but we were loud onstage and my little Eden double stack kept up with two loud guitarist and a loud drummer. I feel like Eden is still the best kept bass players secret. The larger cabs have a reputation for being heavy, yet they've been redesigned and while not all that light, are acceptable. And they are heavy hitting performers for the size.

I have a couple questions for Marshall inc., current owner of Eden. Why do they not promote them more. Why not have someone in their bass department come and visit TB like some other companies. Maybe an endorser. Second, why has Eden not jumped into the modern Class D micro market? They were halfway their with their TN226's. The TN226 was actually a small amp for the time but quite nice sounding. Rich and creamy. Yet Eden halted production on those and came out with the TN and E300 series, which were much larger by today's standards. Sure, the E300 was lighter but it was almost 2 feet in width! It would be nice to see an Eden micro amp that could put out 250 and 550 watts. And while at it, put out a higher powered 800 and 1,000 watt model.

I don't know how long Marshall has owned Eden, but it seems like it's been long enough to stabilize the transition. Why not start moving forward into the future and create some modern products that compete with today's exciting bass products that are small and powerful? I hope Marshall is listening...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018